Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Learning Center Varnishing Over Pastels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

I was reading through some of my old PJ issues and found an interesting article in Issue 16 regarding using varnish to seal pastel paintings and eliminating the use of glass.

Has anyone used this method – and what was your outcome? Successful or disaster?

I don’t know about any of you, but I am mighty tired to having to put my paintings behind glass and willing to try just about anything to get around it. I am sure the galleries would love it too.

So let’s hear about your experiences. :eek:

There are a couple artists in MN and N. Dakota who use this technique with some success. I’m not sure of the exact method but it involves Krylon-type spray (a few coats) along with many coats of varnish or even paste wax. The values become much darker so a very high key is necessary while painting.

You may try to google Susan Voight or Sandi Dahl but they may want to charge for their information and hours spent experimenting. Susan has a one day class that teaches this technique.

Cheryl :wink2:

Thanks Cheryl – it will be an interesting read. :)

I found a web site for Sandi Dahl – I only saw one painting wherein she indicated it was sealed with varnish (new paintings, p.2)

http://www.sandidahlpaintings.com/index.htm

I’ve yet to find a site for Susan Fryer Voight.

binkie

After reading about varnish on one of the threads on WC a while back I bought the Krylon varnish and tried it. I used it on practice portrait of my hubby. It set the pastel but it also REALLY darkened it a lot.

That’s my experience. If you are going to give it a try I would not experiment on a painting that is important to you. I tossed my practice piece after using the varnish.

binkie

scall0way

After reading about varnish on one of the threads on WC a while back I bought the Krylon varnish and tried it. I used it on practice portrait of my hubby. It set the pastel but it also REALLY darkened it a lot.

I’d love to see what you mean. You don’t have any “before” and “after” photos, do you? I’d sure love the idea of fixing pictures too. I had one sitting on my easel, and I stumbled against it and lost the whole top quarter of the painting! I managed to basically restore it, but have never liked the result as much as the original.

That’s my experience.

binkie

Hi Binkie – that’s what I’d heard – that if you use this method, you almost have to compensate for it while painting.

Would love to see a before and after.

binkie

Sorry, I tossed the painting of my hubby as I noted when I edited my reply. I still have several unsuccessful paintings (putting it mildly) that I’ll spray and post, that is, if everyone promises not to laugh.

binkie

skintone

I promise not to laugh. I’m curous about how this works also.

Sorry, I tossed the painting of my hubby as I noted when I edited my reply. I still have several unsuccessful paintings (putting it mildly) that I’ll spray and post, that is, if everyone promises not to laugh.

binkie

Bringer

Hi,

Once I posted on a thread a link for a pastel artist who uses acrylic gel.
                        But I don’t know how this will affect the apearance.
                        If I’m not mistaken he sent me an email.
                        Let me see if I have it…
                        Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Bringer

Hi again,

Ok, I found it.
                            His name is Fred Parker.
                            And he sent me this :

«Dear José: Thank you for asking. I have experimented with various methods… some failed… But, eventually I figured it out. I use soft pastels. I use 100% rag acid free paper. About 150 lb, hot pressed. Knowing I will eventually use liquid acrylic to coat the pastel image (which would otherwise warp the paper once wetted), I first build a wooden panel (usually a door-skin with 1″x2″ boards at the rear outer edges). I seal the panel with an oil base primer so the wood will not contaminate the back of the paper. I then saturate the paper with water (like a watercolorist might do) and while still damp, gently stretch it over the panel (staples at the edges like an oil painter would stretch canvas). Once the paper is dry, it is tight like a drum. The paper is then ready for the pastel image. Once I have finished the pastel, I then use a small brush and apply a clear acrylic (“varnish” or “medium”) right on top of the pastel. I use a small brush and keep to one color at a time to minimize smearing. If smears occur, I try to use them as part of the image or wipe them off before the acrylic has a chance to dry. After I have given most of the image a single coat with the small brush, I then use a larger brush and really coat the entire image. There is a considerable difference in the look of the pastel once it is wetted (not unlike what would occur if you used a spray fixative). If you are a “pastel purist” you would probably not like the changes. In my case, I consider the change to be acceptable. Especially since there is no longer any need for glass to protect the image. Because I had stretched the paper while it was wet, the application of the acrylic moisture has no effect on the paper. I leave the paper attached to the panel, but it can be removed if necessary. Usually, I just frame the whole thing as it is. As you can see with several works on my web site, I often create (in pastel) a trompe ‘loeil mat around the image area. With the panel behind and the acrylic in front, there is little that can damage the art once it is framed.
                            I have often used acrylic inks, pencil and watercolor (after I have mounted the paper) before I start using the pastels. Taking advantage of the characteristics of each medium… details with the pen or pencil… softness with the watercolor… and color and texture with the pastels. A multi-layered cake. You just have to do the layers in correct order.
                            Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if I can be of further help.»

And here’s his site :

http://www.parkerfineart.com/

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

binkie

It took two coats of varnish to set the pastel. When I sprayed hubby’s portrait his face darkened a lot. Don’t know if it’s the colors I used but this time it did not darken as much as the portrait. On my computer screen (since I need a new monitor) there doesn’t seem to be much difference, but in real life it is considerably darker. Anyway, I would try experimenting first before I sprayed a treasured painting.

Remember, no laughing.:D Here goes:

binkie

Deborah Secor

I’ve done it. I hate the look! It absolutely turns me off, off, off. I did it for a panel that–get this–went on a bus! (The things an artist will do to make a living…) Now, it wasn’t as bad as it sounds…well, okay, maybe it was, but they auctioned off the panels in the end and an attorney bought mine, so at least I got something for the deal!

I had to structure the painting much, much higher key, and I found that some pigments became translucent. I lost the yellows–they became gray-greens–and the pale blues looked like gooey white with flecks in it. The magentas turned navy blue, but the greens looked pretty much the way they always look. Talk about dark and gloomy and muddy and UG-LY! As far as I’m concerned, this technique belongs on the back of a bus, fumes and all. But hey–that’s just me. :rolleyes:

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                    Gouache Blog

binkie

I believe I’m supposed to note that the flower painting in which I attempted to adorn with ice is another artist’s photo work and I was just using it for practice.

binkie

CindyW

I haven’t tried this but I can’t imagine that one can brush on top of pastel without smearing it, resulting in alot of foul language (from me, for sure!) :envy: :D :lol:

I think the learning experience is greatly worthwhile in order to further personal understanding of one’s medium so I will experiment with this.

The only surface additive I’ve ever used (once) was fixative and I hated the toxic stuff, not so much for its definite alteration of my painting surface and coloration but because I felt like I was polluting the air and possibly my own lungs (even tho’ I was outside in the breeze) for no good reason. The surface darkened and took my joy out of the whole end result. But….live and learn what’s right for you.
                                            Cindy

Cindy
                                            Never stop learning.[/B][/COLOR]
                                            http://www.cindywentzell.com/[/URL]
                                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.