Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Cityscapes/Urban Art WIP Another street scene – SW France

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Thanks so much, Bizz! Every new project I take on is designed to help me get better at painting. I spent 32 years working in an office instead of painting and have a lot of catching up to do.

www.reedmichaeljones.com
      Critiques and technical advice are much appreciated!

Took a much needed break from this beast and got in the last x-country skiing of the season at the very delightful ABR in Ironwood, MI. Conditions were murderously fast, but much fun was had by all.

Back at it now. Here’s the latest pic. I’m starting to fill in the distant group of tourists, among other things….

www.reedmichaeljones.com

BoafamilyBoafamily

This is coming together nicely.

Profile PhotoBizzibee

Great you managed to get a trip in Reed, before everything changes too much. Your painting just keeps getting better. Those distant figures are so convincing, despite the lack of detail. I hope it is not too long before we can all wander down these kinds of bustling streets again.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks, Bizz! It’s the land of slop here, now.

As to this painting, I was really struggling w/ getting the sunlit side of the street as sunny as I wanted it without getting too fake-looking. I changed up the temperature in the sky a bit and pushed highlights warmer and lighter on the stone facade mid-right and that seems to have done the trick.

I have no doubt I’ll end up playing with it some more, but for now I can focus elsewhere. Pleased with my balcony supports. They were a challenge.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Heading to FL in a couple days, so I need to get this as close to finished as possible before I go. I won’t mind taking a long break from it, but I rarely take one before a painting is finished.

I’m pretty excited about my next crazy project (a nocturne of the Chicago skyline), so it will take some discipline to finish this one first. At least I’m done screwing around with the sky.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Profile PhotoBizzibee

Often when going back to something the impetus and enthusiasm wanes. I find. You must keep going with this and it is wonderful. I love the splurge of colour in the rack of clothes and the detail in the whole thing is extraordinary. You should be very proud of your work!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks, Bizz! I will finish this the moment I get back and will post it as a final. I have WAY too much time into this one to do anything but. I already did most of the stuff I was worried about, so the rest is mostly busy work.

I do need to articulate the pair of clowns in the left foreground a lot better. They are holding rather large floral arrangements, and not the easiest thing to render. I’m sneaking up on them, but they WILL get better.

Everything that looks done needs a tweak or two, and some stuff still needs major surgery. Most of the foreground will get a few different glazing layers to darken them selectively (rather than darkening the chroma of all those bright colors when I mixed them). It’s a trick I’ve used a lot and it works very well.

I figure I’ll need a solid week to finish it, but at least it looks on the verge of finished. It’s been a grinder, but what’s new about that for me? Another one I’ll be happy to take down, but happier when I varnish it.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Profile PhototheBongolian

simply wonderful. The crowd in the distance so well executed – the whole painting for that matter. Excellent job.

Since my last post got lopped in the re-design, here’s the latest.  Decided to do a couple more glazing layers (one good glaze leads to another…) and I still have some building crapola to take care of.  I promise I’ll post the final this weekend!

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Profile PhotoBizzibee

Itvis wonderful Reed, but have you cropped the image. The guys have disappeared :unsure:

It’s like when you receive a photo as a text on your phone.  You have to open the file to see the whole thing.  It displays a smaller version in the post (don’t ask me why).  On the plus side, you’re allowed to post a much bigger file size now!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Profile PhotoBizzibee

Ah right. I see it now. It is fantastic! The image is great quality. I can see all the wonderful detail.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.