Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Stainless steel palette?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Caf?® LoLa

I am going to purchase a kitchen cart this weekend to use as a taboret. It is an ideal kitchen cart, with a surface, a drawer, a towel rod, some shelves and a cupboard. Perfect for putting my paints away, and my mediums in the cupboard, and so on.

The surface is made of stainless steel – is it possible to use the surface as a palette, or would I be better off just putting my Sta-Wet or glass palette on top of the surface?

Keeping it clean is not an option if I’m going to be using it for my studio work, of course, but just wondered if acrylics will adhere to the stainless steel surfface, or can it easily be scraped off?

Laurie Landry
        laurielandry.com

Clever

Love that cart…who makes it?

I would recommend using a glass palette maybe with somewhite paper under it… the metal color may interfere in correct color mixing and choice and I’m not sure you could get all the paint off easily…and besides that scraping sound of a palette knife agains the SS surface makes my skin crawl just to think of it! Eww.

;)

Maggie in SC

Guide

just my personal opinion.

I would probably opt for a sheet of glass to go on top for ease of clean up. That way you won’t scratch the stainless. That would be my take anyway.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Caf?® LoLa

Right, never thought of scratches. Also, just thought of my cats – Bailey is going to jump up on it when not in use, so I think it’ll be much more safer that way not to have any paints she could get into. I have a couple of palettes that works just fine that I can put on top of it when in use.

Laurie Landry
                    laurielandry.com

Phantelope

unless you already got it, there are tabourets that have a palette enclosed in the top, you flip it open and create a fold out table but after painting you close it back up and it’s all hidden away from cat’s feet etc. Especially interesting for oil painting, but I’d guess some also have enough room for a sta wet or a self made one at least.

But if you want to stick with the one you selected I’d also suggest tempered glass (NOT regular glass!!) as palette or also plastic like HDPE (I think) where acrylics just peel off when dry. Or acrylic, which is what I have used. Of course you can also just lay any palette on top or even a block of paper palettes :)

--Oliver

I have a trolley too but with a tiled top. I put a piece of glass on top. :) My only concern with stainless steel would be that I did manage to get a stainless steel container to rust (despite assurances from the shop that it wouldn’t). Obviously I was keeping water in that but I would worry that there might be some effect from repeated use of water and such on the steel might start it rusting – and you don’t want that in the paint.

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Paulafv

Perfect cart. You can buy for about $1 at Home Depot one 12×12 white glossy tile or two 6×8″s. Easy to clean, store and wash or scrape. Look nice when not in use. Stainless will knick with a razor blade or knife. White on a white cart would look good.

swampborn

Love it! I have one, just doesn’t have the door-just shelves.
                                Gail

"For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am,there
                                with to be content."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too. Voltaire

Guide

If you already have the stawet then you might want to use that. I have the small one and find it so valuable on a daily basis.

If there is enough room a piece of glass and a stawet might be the ideal. A piece of plastic wrap over the glass at the end of the day might help with the cat and the surface may stay wet till the next visit. Just a thought.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Stainless steel palette?’ is closed to new replies.