Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #643: Aug 3 – 11

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-hosting-sign-up-2020

** EyePaint made a new hosting sign up thread on May 22, 2020 **

Here are the rules for the hunt:
    *All items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
    *Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
    *All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
    *Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

Scavenger Hunt #643: Aug 3 – 11

airplane
    body part
    chicken
    dangle or something that hangs
    eggs
    flower
    garbage
    highway sign
    ink bottle, pen
    jingle or something that rings
    kitchen item
    lace or laces
    magnet or something that sticks
    novelty
    outside
    piano
    queue or something in a row
    roof line
    scale
    travel
    useful
    vinegar
    web, webbing
    xerox
    yesterday- something you did or saw yesterday from your memory
    zigzag

Have fun.  Try to do the list in order, has anyone ever done that?

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
    My website https://jocastilloart.com

Triss

Thanks for the new list, Jo. I’m way too disorganised to manage it in order – but I did at least start with the first one!

#1 – Airplane (sub – wind farm, because the turbines look a bit like propellers in the sky). I’m trying to make taking my sketchbook out for my morning coffee a regularish thing, so these are my sketches from today. I didn’t think this was going to be a very exciting view, but I really enjoyed it (so you might see it again!). Artgraf and oil pastel.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

Look who’s first!

Triss, those wind towers are so huge and impressive.  You captured the field and grasses well.  Good find for airplane!

AiArts

Triss:  Wonderful start of this Hunt.  Love your strokes of field and grasses in the windfarm.  The receding propellers are super.

Jo:  Thanks for the new list.

eyepaint

Jo – thanks for the new list.

Triss – well done!

-- EP Moderator for:
                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Triss

Airplane was a challenging start! But I’m glad that it got me to look again at a view I wouldn’t have sketched otherwise. I’m already out of order now, but it was a great sky this morning, so I grabbed the chance to sketch this.

#2 – Roof line. Couple of minutes before sunrise, standing on tip-toe in order to actually see the roof line! Inktense blocks and gouache on Clairefontaine Kraft pad.

Attachments:
                    AiArts

My neighbor was cutting her bird of paradises/heloconia away from her garden.  I happened to see them and asked her to take them home to be my models.  I am lucky, she said Yes.!

#1 zig-zag … nature way of zig-zag …. done with kido’s poster colors/gouache, about 9×12 inch and took me roughly 40 minutes total time

AiArts

Triss:  Love your roof-line sketch, nice atmosphere and loose feel.

jmfletch

Sorry all. I totally missed the last hunt. Was trying to fix my computer, finally gave up and bought a new one. So now fiddling trying to learn to use a Mac.   Yes, took the plunge and replaced the PC laptop with a MacBook. :eek: Now learning a new OS.

Triss – Nice job on the turbines. Can almost feel the wind. Love the colors in the ‘roofline’ drawing.

Ai – beautiful bird of paradise

Some running around to do today so taking iPad in case I can sketch while Sharon is in appointments.

Keep sketching
                                Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Triss

What an amazing plant, Ai! It looks incredible and your sketch gets the zig-zaggy twists just right. Brilliant colours, and shapes, and shading. Wonderful sketching! I love seeing your gouache paintings. I did take my gouache out with me today, but I was defeated by the rain.

Joe – Sorry for your computer woes. Macs always look tempting, but I’ve suffered with Windows for this long, I don’t think I’d survive a switch (I have enough trouble using this Chromebook for email!). Hope you enjoy your MacBook, looking forwards to seeing some of your sketches this week.

jmfletch

Triss – I started in computers with machine code on 8080 chips and cpm os, migrated to DOS, MS-DOS, WINDOWS, and on.  Apple equipment was always better but pricey.  Figuring this is my last computer and will interface better with my iPad and iPhone.  Will take awhile to undo some habits but am loving the performance.

#1 sub for airplane – 777 lapel pin  received in goody bag from United. I happened to get booked on the first 777 transatlantic flight. We were returning to Va from London. Most of passengers were executives from United, GE and Pratt & Whitney.  It was an experience starting with cocktails and appetizers served in the waiting area.  During the flight all the drinks and food was free even in economy.

#2 highway sign – drawn on iPad in ‘mobile studio’ in 95 degree heat. Definitely not my finest.  Was sitting in parking lot while my bride was in getting a mammogram. Due to the virus noone but patients wearing masks were allowed inside.

neither is great but 1st step in getting back to drawing daily

Keep sketching

Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Hi everyone.  Wow, y’all are taking off.

Triss, what a great skyline.  I really like the texture in this.

Oh, my, Ai.  Lovely bird of paradise!  Colors and shapes are perfect.  Applause!

Joe, what fun to have a new computer.  I’m dragging my feet, I hate to go to so many apps and having stuff on-line but know that is coming.  My iMac is about 7 years old and I’m getting notices that this or that will not be updated for it.  Sigh….  Oh, nice drawing of the pin.    Nice catch on the street signs.  I had the same problem the other day when we went to Gene’s doc in Bastrop.  Back in the 60s United had one of those flights from Denver to Portland with all the VIPs, etc.  They landed in Seattle by mistake!  I think the pilots and United were a bit red faced!  (I was working for Continental at the Time so thought it was great.)

We went to the doctor today to in Austin, but I didn’t sketch.  Shame on me.

Joan T

Jo, thanks for the new list!!! Funny story about the United flight. lol

Triss, I like your wind turbines/mills…and I guess they are in some ways similar to airplanes. I like the way you did the grasses…nice color and texture. I don’t know how successful I would be on my tiptoes to sketch a view. I like that skyline against the sunrise.

Ai, the birds of paradise are so pretty…such vibrant colors! They are always favorites of mine. My sister always had them growing outside her house in California.

Joe, congrats on the new Macbook. It is nice to be able to have the iPhone and iPad link so easily. I like that too. It will take some getting used to but they are great products. My laptop will probably have to be replaced before long. Like Jo’s I keep getting messages that things have to be updated and the computer no longer allows that. Love the story of the lapel pin…that must have been in the days that they actually gave away things.lol Now they pinch pennies on everything…unless you are flying first class. Glad you used your wait time wisely to sketch the signs.

This morning I was making eggs for Jerry’s breakfast and like most mornings I hold the empty shells in my hand and think to myself that I should do a painting of eggshells…and then I toss them into the garbage. lol Today I looked at Jo’s list and saw eggs listed and dug them back out, opened the fridge and took out a whole egg and did a little painting. It is hard to make them stand out on a white plate. I should have found a dark towel or something, but I liked seeing the shadows.

1 – eggs – watercolor

Attachments:

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Triss, love the propellers. Lots of movement in your sketches. Standing on tip-toe, going out in the rain – you’re really up to whatever it takes to get the sketch, aren’t you? That’s great. (Also, it’s not me. Not my style at all. Lazy sketcher here.)

EP, hello.

Ai, beautiful birds of paradise. Amazing that you could match the colors so well. Great details.

Jim, would love to hear about how it goes as you progress. I had an Apple II back in the day, and in college (1988-early 90s), I used Macs, but I’ve been resisting leaving the PC world. I haven’t done it yet, but it may be the Apple Pencil that ultimately moves me away from PC/Android. But I am a tinkerer, and I am resisting. . . . Good sub for airplane. How fun to get caught up in the celebration of the special flight! Mobile studio isn’t fun when it’s that hot, but the signs look cool :)

Jo, LOL at airline story.

Joan, the eggs stand out well from the white plate with your shadows. Well done.

I’m going to share too many pictures for two sketches, but let me explain :)

#1 substitute for airplane. i realized as I was drawing that I had drawn the flying doghouse before for a previous scavenger hunt. So here you go, 2020 and 2011. (Both in the same darned sketchbook that has infinite pages and I never seem to be able to finish, 6×6 inches.)(I’m close to finishing. Finally.)

#2 body part – thumb (also in 6×6 inch sketchbook)

Attachments:

C&C welcome.
                                            -Angela
                                            Nevada
                                            https://www.hisamo.com/

I just realized I worked some more on Snoopy after those photos. Oh well. Probably not important.

C&C welcome.
                                            -Angela
                                            Nevada
                                            https://www.hisamo.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.