Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists Printer that can be fed 300gsm watercolor paper?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EugeniaLEugeniaL

I would like to use a printer to print my iPad sketches on 300gsm watercolor paper, and then watercolor/gouache manually on top. I don’t want to transfer my sketches manually anymore, because particularly on black watercolor paper, the white graphite makes a smudgy mess.

I don’t mind if the printer uses dye or pigment inks (the sketch would be very lightly printed), but I need to know which models support such a thick paper. I can’t find any information on that. I know that some printers 10-15 years ago supported such thick papers, but in today’s printers I can’t find enough info about that. I wonder if anyone tried that, and if yes, what are the models used. Thx!

I would like to use a printer to print my iPad sketches on 300gsm watercolor paper, and then watercolor/gouache manually on top. I don’t want to transfer my sketches manually anymore, because particularly on black watercolor paper, the white graphite makes a smudgy mess.

I don’t mind if the printer uses dye or pigment inks (the sketch would be very lightly printed), but I need to know which models support such a thick paper. I can’t find any information on that. I know that some printers 10-15 years ago supported such thick papers, but in today’s printers I can’t find enough info about that. I wonder if anyone tried that, and if yes, what are the models used. Thx!

How much do you want to spend on the printer?

If you go to the company website most of them will tell you the thickest paper their printers will handle, though I had a hard time finding paper weights listed on the Epson website. 300gsm / 140lb paper will feed from quite a few printers out there. I own Epson and Canon printers and would probably go with a new model Epson rather than a Canon if I had to replace either of them. I find that the Epson printers waste less ink than the Canon photo printers which used to be just the opposite a few years back.

I have a Canon Pro-10 that uses pigment inks. It prints fine on 140lb watercolor papers. Their lower cost Pro-100 is a dye based version of the same printer. They will print 13×19 papers at least as heavy as 440g/m from the rear feed. Epson, Canon and other brands make printers that should feed 140lb for less money than the Canon Pro series.

I did not read this entire article but it seems to have some good suggestions.

https://www.thedailytell.com/best-printer-for-watercolor-paper/

EugeniaLEugeniaL

I own a 24″ Canon iPF 6400 printer, which I know it can print on thick paper, but I wanted a smaller, cheap one. Since I moved houses, some of my inks leaked out, and to replace them I need $1000. I rather get a $50-$70 printer, since most of my illustrations are on letter or legal size anyway. The sketching is so light and far apart, that the cost of inks won’t be major on a cheap printer. So my question was mostly for any cheap printer that can accept thick paper. Including laser printers, or any other non-art printers. Anything that can print 140lb 300gsm watercolor paper basically.

chrismcchrismc

I used to use a Canon Pixma for printing my 300 gsm paper. I now use a Brother MFC large format all in one because I can just photo copy my sketches instead of scan and print.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.