Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Odd vs. Even numbers in composition

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wassie

I would like for someone to explain to me why it is seemingly more pleasing to the eye to see odd numbers instead of even numbers in a composition. I am prone to liking even numbers better myself.

In one of the forums there was a painting of 4 little ducks. It was suggested that the artist change the number to 3 or 5. But what if there were 4 in the real scene?

I’ve also read many times in decorative painting articles that one should put 5 petals on a flower instead of 4. But some flowers have only 4 petals.

I really want to understand why it is important to have an odd number of elements as opposed to an even number.

madster

Hi Wassie!
            The standard reasoning behind this is related to the way the Human Brain is “wired” instinctively for survival, and how it perceives things.

This is called “Gestalt,” and is well recognized.

The “Even/Odd” issue is one of harmonics and dynamicism. Even numbered objects, be they ducks, stripes, or simple dots, are essentially “static,” because the eye subconsiously “pairs things up,” and sees a “beginning and end,” whereas an odd number creates a visual “tension” or dynamicism, because there is no “conclusion.”

Odd numbers are better than even in artistic compositions, because they create a subconscious sense of tension, which keeps the eye moving around the canvas, whereas even numbers create a sense of “relaxation.” For some works, that relaxation can translate to visually “boring.”

This is not to say even numbers do not work, but the eye tends to “pair up” objects, and if there is a solid visual “conclusion,” the eye (and mind, subconscously) accepts this, and then is less “alert and attuned” to the composition. Even those works that use the symmetry of pairs, almost always has an odd number of focal points, because after all, a “point” is a singular entity, and as an artist, you want your work to have a Point. It is the basis of all Composition (so much so, that a great many discussions of Compositional elements neglect to even mention it. You cannot create a Line, unless you start with a Point

There is a LOT of psychological, mathematical, and physiological reasoning that explains this in much more depth, but in general, if you keep in mind that you need a main focal Point to every composition, and that it should be an odd number (so that if your focal point is a group of ducks, you want 1,3,5, etc.), you will create much more dynamic and “lively” works.

The number of actual ducks is irrelevant. That is why you have an “Artistic License.” It is up to you to create an artwork that engages the eye in the best possible visual manner. That is why artists are not cameras…

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but in order to “break the rules,” you must first understand them.

Hope this helps some!

~M

Madster
            Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Wassie

Thank you, Madster. I have never read such a good explanation of odd vs even before. Mostly, I’ve just been told to accept it without knowing why.

I really appreciate your complete explanation.

madster

You’re most welcome, Wassie, glad to be of help~
                    Please click on the Mentor Button (and maybe even the Merit one, too) at the bottom of my posts if you find them of use. This lets the Admins know that I was a good girl today! Thanks!

~M

Madster
                    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • The topic ‘Odd vs. Even numbers in composition’ is closed to new replies.