Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois I think we need to change our perspective on the new Wetcanvas site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

The old site is gone. F+W Media I believe who owned all the content and are gone.

It was lucky Golden Peak Media picked it up and saved the site. Yes, there are some troubles but we also came very close to losing it all. Most companies would not even have wasted money on recovering the old data.
    This is a free service and we are not beat to death with Ads.

Focus on the positive and let us move forward.

empty

I agree, wetcanvas is a community and is about people who do art. I have many friends here and I would be sad to use contact.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Keith2

The advice from other artists is valuable, and you’re not pestered by adverts.

DaveCrow

There are things I preferred about the old interface. I am however extremely grateful that we have continued access to the old information and the community of artists here. I can adapt to the new site.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Que Sera

I agree.

In all these things we are more than conquerors.

bleu

I’ve been gone for awhile — when I came back it was so unfamiliar that I put off looking at the site. I didn’t feel like studying, not even for one minute. I’ll try to get back into the groove but even now, I’m so tired of the hours I have to spend on the computer these days that it will be a struggle. Anyway, hello to all who are here and holding down the fort.

Katie Black

Well, I thought that from the start and was amazed at the constant bitching. I think the constant negativity from some members likely helped drive many away…

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Mullanphy

Amen!  Thank you, Golden Peak Media, WC Moderators & Administrators, and the other WC members who make my visits enjoyable.

Any/every community is as good – or bad – as its members.  I too, have been gone for awhile, didn’t know F&W went bankrupt and the OWC (Old Wet Canvas) was now the NWC (New Wet Canvas).   I’m glad WC survived.  Most of the problems I’ve read about or encountered have been mere inconveniences and do not negatively impact my impression or use of the NWC.

My negative comment:  Regretfully, I noticed the group of members who seemed to go out of their way on the OWC  to make life miserable for others migrated to the NWC and started their own thread to disparage the forums, the new owners, moderators, administrators and community members.  Some even said they were leaving, but are still here whining.  End of Rant

Save lives, mask up. 😷

MatildaArt!

Wetcanvas lives!😊

C&C Always Helpful!
                                Onward and Upward!

E.J.H.

And saying that people who have good reason to complain about the crappy interface of the new forum are “whining” and “bitching” is positive…?

People are leaving because this site doesn’t work well, not because people are complaining about the site not working well…

Losing a significant amount of users is a problem that could easily mean the end of WC. I have seen this happen to other forums; Newsflash, this kind of format is not the most popular of social media anymore, if you loose your crowd it’s gone. And in case of this forum, that would be a real pity.

Andrew

And saying that people who have good reason to complain about the crappy interface of the new forum are “whining” and “bitching” is positive…? People are leaving because this site doesn’t work well, not because people are complaining about the site not working well… Losing a significant amount of users is a problem that could easily mean the end of WC. I have seen this happen to other forums; Newsflash, this kind of format is not the most popular of social media anymore, if you loose your crowd it’s gone. And in case of this forum, that would be a real pity.

And constantly pissing and moaning about it is so going to taint their experience that they won’t even bother to do any exploration of what they can get out of Wetcanvas, or even spend the precious moments to contribute.

So there is that.

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
                                        - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

E.J.H.

Well of course. As an admin said in this context “it is what is”.

I am active on a dutch equine sport forum. Posting a picture is a breeze there. In this forum ( visual arts!)it’s pretty complicated!
                                            When you are logged in you can with one mouse click look at what is on this site called your “engagements”, and immediately see in what thread there are new posts.
                                            Here the same action takes at least three clicks, and strangely over half a minute loading time.
                                            When browsing there you see immediately, before opening threads where there are new posts since your last login, clicking on any thread brings you automatically to the newest post, whatever page in the thread.
                                            All features that are very necessary on a big complex forum, none of them are on this forum.

Now your are very welcome to call me a bitcher, moaner, whiner or whatever you will, but such a unnecessary tedious browsing experience is what what will kill this forum. You don’t thin thát is what the complainers worry about?

But hey, good luck with “changing people’s perspective”. Any suggestions on how you plan to go about that idea?

Mullanphy

And saying that people who have good reason to complain about the crappy interface of the new forum are “whining” and “bitching” is positive…? People are leaving because this site doesn’t work well, not because people are complaining about the site not working well… Losing a significant amount of users is a problem that could easily mean the end of WC. I have seen this happen to other forums; Newsflash, this kind of format is not the most popular of social media anymore, if you loose your crowd it’s gone. And in case of this forum, that would be a real pity.

First, it’s not a crappy interface.  It’s different from the OWC.  Not really any better or worse than the old – just different.  Some people can’t  refuse to handle different.  Complaining, without suggesting ways to make it more likeable, because something is different from what it was before is whining and bitching, plain and simple.  So, yeah, if people are leaving, it’s because the old-timers are having temper tantrums.

If I were to leave it would be solely due to the amount of whining and bitching a core clique of users that used to whine, bitch, and insult other members on the old WC.  I’ve grown used to the Admins and Mods doing nothing about it.  Just waiting for their coordinated attacks to begin, again, here.  In my experience it is the primary reason people leave popular forums no matter how well the platform performs. And I’ve been involved in online message forums since 1990 when AOHell was the place to be.

So, there’s my perspective:  it’s different from the old.  It may have some problems but I’ve encountered none in the few weeks I’ve been back.  Unless you count that clique of old timers who think they own it and everyone else is dirt to them – that is the only real problem here.

Save lives, mask up. 😷

E.J.H.

No, it is NOT “just different”. I don’t compare to the old site, I compare to other forums, see my second post in this thread ( the one you didn’t quote).
                                                    The forum software is severely lacking. Important features are non existent. Other important features are very non intuitive where they shouldn’t be.
                                                    The argument “people can’t handle change” is frankly ridiculous.
                                                    Come with real arguments; tell me why my comparison is unreasonable.
                                                    Edit, and I am not one of “the old clique” that you seem to think is the problem, I am a hopefull new user, made an account must before the changeover.

E.J.H.

Yeah, I will indeed show myself out, if this is the level of discussion.
                                                        Good luck changing people’s perspective, I am sure you wil be very succesfull with that warm sympathetic attitude of yours.
                                                        By the way, I love especially how you equally distribute the blame for the site problems on the “old clique” and new members like myself,…or could it possibly be….anyone not sharing your opinion :scratch:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.