Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois Hello, advice wanted. Thank you !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lorri333

Hello,

I’m planning on having professional photos taken of my artwork. There aren’t a lot of local choices as to where to have this done. Within driving distance is a place that takes care of a local University. They typically photograph art from students, and other people.

When I asked if they give receipts as to how many pieces of artwork I’d leave with them overnight, they said they don’t give receipts. The way they do it is you leave your work with them, come back next day and the photos are finished. It’s disturbing to me to think I’d not get any receipt from them. If I were to leave 12 paintings, but only have 11 returned to me then it would be my word against theirs.

What would you do ? Is it odd they don’t record how many items are left in their care ?

Thank you.

I think you are right to ask for a receipt or invoice detailing the number and work, “for your records”.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

art magenta

I also would be concerned, which would have me seek out other options. Barring outright thievery, just imagine how your pieces could be misplaced. And if a dispute should occur about them, what means of addressing it would you have?

La_

I’d be tempted to make an inventory list & have them sign it.  And  take a picture of the work dropped off at the shop.

That said, If they’ve been doing this for years and have a good reputation, it might be paranoid to worry about it (you do have your name/contact on the works, right?

Question:  Why don’t you just take pix yourself?

la

Lorri333

Thank you for the reply. Sometimes I second guess myself as to how picky I am, but the photography issue was really bugging me, I knew the situation wasn’t as it should be. Thanks very much.

Lorri333

Thank you very much. I agree. It helps to see other people agreeing. I was partly wondering if I was carrying my tendency to worry and be fussy too far. But yes, everything you said was what I worried about so now I feel less nitpicking and can see other people agree with me. I didn’t want to leave my work there with no receipt, and it’s caused a delay in my plans because I just haven’t been able to do it.

Lorri333

Thanks very much. Yes all that ran through my mind so I’ve been happy to see people on this thread agree with me. I feel less paranoid now. Yes – I read reviews on the place and haven’t seen them accused of theft/loss,  but I guess it could still happen to me. Of course, it would happen to me, LOL.

I haven’t done my own photography partly because I’m totally inexperienced with it, and some of my paintings were done on canvas sheets. They’re not framed, just flat pieces. It miht be fairly easy to photograph art that hangs on a wall, but I’m not sure how I’d go about photographing flat work without casting a shadow. I’m probably overlooking a simple solution, but I’ve never researched this particular issue, and tend to give up fast on whatever bores me. But I might have to figure it out or pay an andividual to do the photos so I won’t have to worry about leaving my work overnight at some place that won’t give me a receipt.

ntl

I’m a beginner in both painting and photography, I use many supports including canvas sheets. I photograph those as I do the others. Paperclip or pin them to maybe a piece of cardboard and set on an easel or…

or set on  the floor or patio floor, stand over it, be sure I’m not casting a shadow or photographing my feet, and snap the picture with my 20 year old basic olympus camera.  Are you underestimating yourself?

ilya K

If it’s oil or acrylic, then glare makes it difficult and not shadow. But it still makes sense to invest time in trying. If you do not have a camera , borrow from a friend to try. Phone is not good for that, unless if’s some expensive model. There are numerous threads here on photographing artwork. Use google search to find them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awetcanvas.com+photographing+artwork

Ilya K
                                    C&C always welcome

Lorri333

Hi,

Actually I spoke to someone else at that photo shop I was complaining about, they agreed to provide a copy or image of my orders so I’ll have proof of how many items were left with them – just found this out yesterday. Sorry but photography is indeed very complex. I’m not interested in attempting it which is why I intend to pay for professional services. Among other things I plan on submitting my work to shows in online magazines, and to sell prints. I just want really good photos without all the hassle. And to me indeed it’s hassle. Tried watching a few “how to” photography videos on youtube. Almost got hives ! Thank you anyway. I need to figure out how to close this page so I don’t waste anyone’s time now that my problem is solved.

:)

Kmart

DSLR camera on tripod. Painting on tripod. Sunny day, painting in shadow.

ISO 100

F8

Compensate Shutter

Bracket exposure

Crop, and make minor tweaks in photoshop.

I get great photo’s this way. I can zoom all the way in and see individual brush strokes.

loft artist

It might seem slightly unprofessional not to  allocate each each artwork and Artist   a reference number for their own  records   ,  unless it’s sideline for a few dollars for  beer money , nothing wrong with that  ,  I have produced a few paintings for beer money    :good:

John

Ellen E

One of my sons and his wife are professional photographers. I don’t see anything wrong at all in requesting proof of what you’ve left with them to be photographed and although I haven’t asked, I’m sure that’s what my son and his wife would do.

My input on this, though, is that these people just may not realize that it’s what they should do and what a more experienced photo place would provide. More experienced in taking photos for professional artists, I mean.

RaphaelG1

Wouldn’t you need more than a receipt for the number of paintings you left with them?? How about the value of each painting?

If you gave them a dozen paintings to photograph and they returned just 11 … what would you do?? Sue them?? At whose cost??

If I were them I wouldn’t give you a receipt ..and…  If I were you I wouldn’t leave my paintings with them. Either hand them the paintings and WAIT while they are photographed OR do you own photography!!!

Just my two cents!!!

Ralph
                                                        "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

Ted B.

Even if they won’t provide a reciept, provide something memorializing the packet.  Take even a crappy digital pic of each work that’s good enough to be recognizable for you files.  Call it a work-order or similar and describe what you are giving them, and what they are supposed to do.  It’s a good way to also provide contact information and an All Rights Reseved (c) year/name statement. If its contract work and you’re uncomfortable declaring copyright for yourself at this point, consider designating them as Instruments of Service.  If you do this a lot commercially, ask your business or IP attorney about terminology.

When I send physical documents to a client or vendor, they’re accompanied by a dated letter of Transmittal memorializing what was sent; similar to a Bill of Lading or a Packing List.  For digital transfers I might not do a separate Transmittal, but I .pdf the sent email itself to the project folder that records the filenames attached.  Everything has a .pdf on file for billing and record.  And all drawings, sketches, details that leave my office, digital, scanned or paper, have at-least my name and a date on them.

Often I printout the .pdf on paper for the project file because I don’t trust digital downwards compatibility.  I have old records that I’m legally required to keep for decades that I no-longer can digitally access due to technology change or hardware; “Can you say Floppy Drives?”.  But I have Bankers’ boxes full of paper I can still read.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.