Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    The Dave

Making friends, huh Newberry? =)

Sonni – I dont think he was talking about a literal orgasm while painting, but a sense of euphoria you get sometimes when you immerse yourself in your work.

Newberry – Did you never have instruction when you were learning early on? Yeah, an artist should develop their unique perspective, but unless you’re already an established artist it might benefit you to have someone point out flaws in your technique. Vision is your own, but you need the base skills to express it, and critique can help develop those skills.

In General – Without knowing the skill level and intelligence of the person giving the critique, everything they say should be suspect (though not necessarily ignored). Un-solicited critiques are often unwelcome and sometimes just rude. Just because they post it online doesnt mean they want to hear a list of what they did wrong. Sometimes people just want to share something they like.

The Dave

Lol, Dave, sometimes I get into trouble with some of my sincere beliefs. Everyone, btw, Dave is a great model.

Dave: In General – Without knowing the skill level and intelligence of the person giving the critique, everything they say should be suspect (though not necessarily ignored). Un-solicited critiques are often unwelcome and sometimes just rude. Just because they post it online doesnt mean they want to hear a list of what they did wrong. Sometimes people just want to share something they like.

Well said.

Yes I had instruction early on, and I was very fortunate in my late teens to learn from Edgar Ewing, a great teacher, wonderful person, and superb artist. He educated through stories, wise observations, and by showing. He also understood me, and others, and guided some of my early steps.

Michael

www.MichaelNewberry.com

giancarlo80

If god felt critiques were helpfull he woud have created an ”open critique forum” or for the those who lean towards (…edited by mod…) “a structured critique”.

(You must think you are some kind of God or something? Mr ‘No Critical comments’ allowed…. Heh, that’s why all your paintings will keep you warm….. home)

Mod Edit: violation of UA nos. 24.h re: inappropriate language and 24.g. re: revival of topic (in a different thread). Please refrain. Copy of original sent to RB

roy-p

Thread contents have been edited – Sept ’11.

Here’s a generalized version (i.e. not customized for Figure) of Bernie’s original FAQ thread.

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

JaneMarian

I admit I am not always comfortable giving critiques, but definitely would like to receive them. If I feel they are way off base I will simply ignore them. We need feedback from a community in which everyone is trying to achieve the same end.

jane

lovin art

The problem more often then not Jane is- , we can be our own worst critics and sometimes while learning to tell someone their hard work and most joyous of moments of art and in creating it can often be the hardest thing for us – the receiver to take , it is (and even I have been guilty of it , of feeling that emotion ) but I also think more so that if we are open to the suggestion of others , we can take and grow from and more often then not learn from the wisdom of what we my find along this chosen path ….that was my deep serious thoughts :o

But now for my dag Oz humor – Remember it’s along way to the top if you want Rock and Roll ….:wink2:

RolandPr

I never skated young.

When I started at 22, I started from scratch.

Sure, it sucks that youll likely never get to do partnered ice dance or pairs. But are you going to let that define your skating? Solo dance is a thing, you know.

wrightbrain

Maybe critique is the wrong word.

We are all certainly here to discuss art that others post, no? To me, the idea of a forum is to get feedback and have a discussion. I see overwhelmingly the discussion being positive here with some helpful nudges. Personally, that’s why I’m here. If I didn’t want the discussion I would just post to Flickr.

This forum represents the same reason I take a class or go in person to a life drawing session. We experience and share with others and get feedback on what we are doing well or could be doing better.

I thought that was the point.

ArtistOz

For those of us who have had a formal art education critique is the right word. The problem is mainly cultural and a lack in knowledge of the conventions of figure drawing. This is an American owned site and most of the posters would be Americans with a smattering of posters from around the globe so American values would dominate.

We therefore have the issue of indirect communication verses direct communication. Americans are culturally indirect, I have been told they say three nice things before a negative comment, if they get to the negative comment, certainly they seem to prefer to say nice things or nothing. Saying nothing has the same weight as being ignored in a forum, in my opinion being ignored is the worst form of critique one can make to a post or poster. Without feedback its difficult to navigate one’s way and so easy to get lost.

I’ve been told the Dutch are the most direct people in communicating, I know the French and Germans are direct while Asians tend to be indirect. I grew up in Australia where being straight was the chief cultural value if someone was straight with you even if you didn’t like them you respected that. In today’s politically correct and multicultural society in Australia I have no idea what our main cultural value is anymore. What it means is for me I tend to distrust indirect communication however the saying “when in Rome do as the Romans do” makes survival sense.

With the shift to modernism away from the conventions of the previous ideal/observation period in art add then the mess of post modernism it makes it difficult at times to know what is going on in a post. Finding out the intent and aims of the artist becomes important before any meaningful communication can begin. Not all of us share the same artistic conventions and values so we have to learn to get along, maybe, or not. :evil:

Bill,
                                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                                    Instagram, billwperry

mburrell

In the old version you could move forward or backwards through the threads. I think you are calling them topics now . Is there a was to go forward and back without returning to the forum Q? If not I suggest adding one as it saves time catching up on posts.

My acrylic gallery of past paintings more to come. https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/mike-s-gallery/

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.