Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Derwent Graphitint paint pans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    star fisher

Has anyone tried Derwent Graphitint paint pans?  I think they are new.  They are dry cakes in a folding palette and are made of water-soluble graphite and watercolor pigment.  I found a video showing that they produce muted colors with a graphite sheen.  I found nothing about what types of pigments are used, or how lightest the paint is.  I’m wondering if someone here has any experience with them.

marioz

In this page:

https://www.derwentart.com/en-us/p/2305790/professional/watersoluble/graphitint-paint-pan-set/graphitint-paint-12-pan-palette

go to “Download the full colour chart PDF” in the lower part of the page. They give lightfastness, but no pigment information.

Lavendulan

I watched a video last year that showed how the artist generated her own graphitint style colors by using water soluble graphite pencils and regular watercolor or watercolor pencils  She used a Caran d’Ache Palette Aquarelle that has a rough and smooth side, scribbled some graphite pencil on the rough side, and mixed with watercolor.  It looked just like the graphitint, you control the Lightfastness, and the colors are only limited by what’s on your palette.   I’ve played with this several times, and love the look.  The Caran d’Ache palettes are really reasonable, at least here in the US.  Nice palette for watercolor pencils  too.

Lora
                C&C welcome

jigglypuff18

I watched a video last year that showed how the artist generated her own graphitint style colors by using water soluble graphite pencils and regular watercolor or watercolor pencils She used a Caran d’Ache Palette Aquarelle that has a rough and smooth side, scribbled some graphite pencil on the rough side, and mixed with watercolor. It looked just like the graphitint, you control the Lightfastness, and the colors are only limited by what’s on your palette. I’ve played with this several times, and love the look. The Caran d’Ache palettes are really reasonable, at least here in the US. Nice palette for watercolor pencils too.

please share the video if you’re able to find it!

I have the Caran d’Ache palette, too — are you ever concerned about the rough side damaging your watercolor brushes when you pick up color?

Lavendulan

craftingKaria  https://youtu.be/PJm6EB6ecc0

she shows using the palette to mix around 10:16.

she actually showed using watercolor pencils with the water soluble graphite, I’ve done it with both watercolor pencils and regular watercolor.

the palette is not that rough, I dont have any problems with using a good brush on it, although I often use a water brush or an inexpensive synthetic.

Lora
                        C&C welcome

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.