Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Can you leave paintings outside to dry?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Ammons

So basically I live in humid climate and I’m trying to prime canvases with oil paint mixed with odorless mineral spirits. It’s too smelly to leave inside. So will the oil just repel the humidity or no? I mean obv don’t leave em in the rain but u know.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
        oil and acrylic paintings..

WFMartin

Sunlight is a very good way to dry an oil painting. The light brightens the Linseed Oil-painted image, and circulating air currents bring oxygen to the surface. The heat generated by sunlight aids in the drying, and curing, as well. Some old masters did this quite often.

As you mentioned, not a good idea to leave your painting outside on either a rainy day, or a windy day (dust and dirt).

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ellis Ammons

Ok but what about at night. I know other types of paint will bubble if you leave them out when humidity get over 80% or something like that. idk my brain tells me no but oil vs water tells me yes.

WFMartin

Ok but what about at night. I know other types of paint will bubble if you leave them out when humidity get over 80% or something like that. idk my brain tells me no but oil vs water tells me yes.

Night? Geez, no! Humidity will form DEW on the painting in the early morning. Are you merely inviting difficult situations? Brainstorming, or whatever the heck they call it now?:confused:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

If the fumes are too much then I would opt for buying oil primed. I use the Centurion oil primed and they are fine.

koumk

The answer is YES ,you can have your paintings out, night and day, 366 days a year IF you are in a country with Mediterranean climate

Kostas

jaytref

Could you put the canvas in front of a window fan at night? That would vent the fumes to the outside. Or perhaps if you have a second bathroom that isn’t used at night, put it there with the vent fan left on.

-jaytref
                                http://www.galleryjaytref.com/

Don Ketchek

Or just buy pre-primed canvases and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Don

Ellis Ammons

What about putting paints in the fridge. Several tutorials I’ve seen online say to keep them in the fridge. But I know anything that’s kept in the fridge is going to immediately condensate as soon as it hit’s the warm air. Unless your studio is the same temp as the fridge. :\

kinasi

Paint in a fridge, is that a thing? Maybe we can award the next darwin award to someone mistaking lead white for mayonaise.

Ellis Ammons

Yea, 2 of the artists I watch watch on youtube keep their paints in the fridge.

Lisa Lachri keeps hers in a tupaware that she can seal up.
                                                Mark Carder has a special fridge he just slides his whole glass palette in and has a great big warning about being safe and not keeping food and drink in there.

Put paint in a sealed container for storage is not the same as putting a “painting” outside. I recommend not using painting materials that cause fumes to begin with.

Angel :angel:
                                                Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                                                http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Gigalot

Mineral spirit will evaporate after a hour.
                                                    BTW, what about Acrylic primer?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Can you leave paintings outside to dry?’ is closed to new replies.