Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone buff titanium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mimitabby

Somewhere I read something about Daniel Smith’s Buff Titanium being cool to use; so I bought it.
        So far, to me; it just looks like whitish beige sludge.

Any suggestions? I’ve tried to combine it with other colors and I just don’t see the point, as it adds nothing except lighter opacity.

thanks

[FONT=Georgia] Mimi - My art blog
        zazzle.com/mtorchia*

Mimi,
        I bought it too and so far haven’t found it to be very useful either. I did use it on a building painting to look like stucco, but I am chalking this up as a lesson learned. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Studio-1-F

A few suggestions culled from the DS site:
            — Spatter or drop a brushload of Buff Titanium into a moist wash and enjoy the pigment displacement.
            — Pre-mix Buff Titanium with Quinacridone Rose or Perinone Orange for subtle hues and matte surfaces ideal for the velvety petals of your favorite flowers.
            — Mix with Indigo or Van Dyke Brown to create slate-colored shadows and soft feathers.
            — Glaze a dried landscape with a misty, atmospheric mood.

And from elsewhere:
            — “a good pigment to lighten and desaturate greens or blues, for example, to render gray desert foliage” (http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterw.html)
            — “My usual recipe for skin tones starts with shading in Dark Umber, followed by purple, blue or red accents, depending on the mood and color scheme of the piece. Next I add a layer of Burnt Umber and top it off with a very watered down layer of Buff Titanium.” (http://www.magicalomaha.com/Amy%20Brown%20Bio.htm)
            — “Buff titanium is very nice color if you like to flow opaques into your washes. . . . The Buff Titaniun is a bit like naples yellow but less yellow, more nuetral.” (http://forums.studioproducts.com/archive/index.php/t-23905.html)

Just some ideas.

Jan

lyn lynch

I “enjoyed” this experience in acrylics so didn’t buy it in watercolor. Eventually I used it as a base-in, to be covered later with Titanium.

vhere

I wouldn’t buy it in watercolour because of its opacity.

I like it in acrylic though – I paint the edges of my seascape canvasses with it mixed with some white and it’s a perfect neutral colour for them (and means they’ll match even if done several years apart), it’s also a perfect colour for where dried sand has a cool tone (mixed or not with white) against the warmer peachier or whatever colour of the damp sand. I like it in mixing in acrylics as well.

mmcaloon

Jan thanks for the tips I got in a trio and was like mimi “unimpressed” After reading your tips I think I may have a use for it/ Living in Texas allot of landscapes have that grayed foliage which has been a bugger to get. Now I may have a tool.. Whoot time to play…

Mike ------- see my progress through the work that I share on my website

Newbie Help Posting Guidelines User Agreement Watercolor Handbook
                        GIMP Article

mimitabby

oh thank you thank you!
                            Jan; I was not able to find that info on the DS website, that’s very helpful;
                            Sylvia; Stucco, exactly what i was looking for!
                            Fookie, thanks
                            Vivien, that’s the sort of thing I was asking about; thanks!

zazzle.com/mtorchia*

Neeman

Is it not just an off white white?
                                Like in body color?

vhere

colours are so subjective – one persons luscious phalo blue is another persons never touch that vile colour pthalo blue!

Arnold Lowrey uses it extensively… in HIS paintings, it makes GORGEOUS mist!!!

Now… I didn’t have it, but did have some white gouauche… I added a little naples yellow to my white gouauche, thinned the mixture right out and then used it to make mist. I was REALLY happy with the result!!! :)

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

mimitabby

i tried dropping buff titanium into some different colored washes. Ho hum
                                        i mixed it with some colors again and got nothing spectacular; BUT

i mixed it with Quin Rose and got a fantastic pink!! thanks for that tip.
                                        so there IS something i can do with it that i like. thanks again everyone!

zazzle.com/mtorchia*

GH-Mongo

“Buff Titanium” isn’t always the same across manufacturers. I’ve never tried the Daniel Smith Buff Titanium, but I know from acrylics that they can be a mixture of any number of pigments, usually Titanium White PW6, Yellow Oxide PY42, and Synthesized Earth PBr7. There’s also a single-pigment for unbleached Titanium, PW6.4 if I recall correctly.

I have a tube of Daniel Smith’s Buff Titanium here and says on the side:

Pigment: Buff Titanium White PW6:1 CL#77891:1

So it seems it isn’t a mixture of colors as is the acrylic one you cite above.

Sylvia

GH-Mongo

Thanks for clarifying.

Arnold Lowrey

I suspect this is the same as Cheap Joes “coastal fog” – one of his American Journey watercolours.
                                                    I use it occasionally with a bristle brush painting it i to existng paint
                                                    Here are some examples
                                                    Arnold

Arnold Lowrey
                                                    [/URL]
                                                    If you always do as you've always done
                                                    You'll always get what you always got!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.