Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Brownest Ivory Black watercolour and gouache shades?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lascaux

Hi,

I was hoping you could please share any Ivory Black shades you have come across that are warmer or more brown based (as opposed to cooler and blue based).

I find Winsor & Newton Ivory Black fits the criteria, but would appreciate more recommendations.

Thank you!

calvin_0

why not just mix a chromatic black with burnt umber (PBr7) and ultramarine (PB29)? you can get as warm or as cool as you like by tweeking the ratio between burnt umber and ultramarine.

alternately, Shmincke just release a line of watercolor call liquid charcoal and the Cherry Pit Black paint look very brown, unfortunately, they only come in 30ml tubes, so they are pretty expensive, but one tube probably will last forever..

Lascaux

:good: Thank you for the Schminke recommendation. It looks absolutely perfect.

I usually mix my own black but need tubes  for this particular project. It involves covering large areas over multiple occassions and the colours need to be an exact match.

I am located in Europe, so I am fortunate Schminke is priced a little better than overseas, if I am not mistaken.

I really appreciate you reply- thanks again!

art magenta

While not ivory blacks, two of my favorite brown darks are Daniel Smith’s Burnt Bronzite and Piemontite.  A more neutral brownish black can be found in Sennelier’s Bitume / Transparent Brown (PR 101).

Lascaux

Hi art magenta, those are beautiful suggestions, thanks so much. I love a rich and interesting brown dark.
                        Daniel Smith and Sennelier are some of my favourite watercolour lines but I have never tried those shades. I can see myself enjoying all three- starting with the Sennelier as it is easy to get hold of.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.