Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching The Classroom Basic 101: Class 3 – Drawing Cubic Objects

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)
  • Author

Much better, Anna :clap:
      I think a little more practice in drawing cubes would be very useful. So I suggest to stay in this class for another assignment.
      Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hello. My another attempt. Image is correct in my storage but it is turning while uploading.

Anna

Anna
          I like how you try to use vanishing lines :thumbsup:.
          But your interpretation is not entirely correct. VL’s NEVER originate on a corner, they always are in line with the edge. It means that if we keep your chosen vanishing point, the drawing becomes very unpleasing:

But that is exactly what we should not do. We must choose the VP far enough away to make an acceptable view:

Please move on to class 4 :thumbsup:

Arnoud, just one more question, if I can ask. Does it mean that the VP doesn’t always present on a paper?. It could be out of it, regarding we keep lines in a good “pack”? So that out of the visible edge they meet at one point. Just as You showed on the second example.

Anna

[B] Arnoud[/B], just one more question, if I can ask. Does it mean that the VP doesn’t always present on a paper?. It could be out of it, regarding we keep lines in a good “pack”? So that [B]out[/B] of the visible edge they meet at one point. Just as You showed on the second example.

Yes, indeed.
              As a matter of fact, this will be in most “natural” cases, as in photographs or drawings/paintings that are based on observation and not on theoretical constructions.
              :wave:

Arnoud, thank you so much!

Anna

Hi Arnoud, below are my studies for this class. I have posted the building some time ago, just catching up with the dice.

I have question about the dimensions of a square. Drawing is not exactly how geometry describes: “all lengths are equal”. Is there any guidance, so it will look square. I have just eyeballed it. But may be there is a better way.

C&C always welcome

Well done, Shenko
                    To draw a 3D form on a 2D plane, artists use perspective. Dimensions get smaller when further away. In all directions: receding lines converge (“VL’s”) and depths get smaller. The latter effect is called “foreshortening”. Where it is important to judge dimensions from the drawing, e.g. in engineering, another projection method is used: “isometric projection”.
                    You realized the foreshortening in drawing the well-known cube, but overlooked it in drawing the house. The windows in the side wall must become narrower when further to the back. There are no simple methods to decide on the foreshortening of a single dimension – or of the first one in a progression. Eyeballing is the best way.
                    However, to keep a consistent view in a progression, like those windows, is not too complicated.
                    It is based on the fact that 2 diagonals in a rectangle define the center, also in perspective.
                    So first you define the midline between a VL and HL, with an arbitrary rectangle:

Now you choose (eyeball) the first width (blue). With 2 diagonals (red) you create a rectangle of double width, equally divided perspective-wise. And so on with green, etc.

Good job, please move on to class 4 :thumbsup:

1+

Thank you Arnoud! Thank you for the pointers and especially pointing out the window problem on the side wall. Theoretically I knew that, obviously I saw them when I was drawing. However my brain took over telling me that all those windows are the same size. First: learn to see!

So, I went to search about the cubes and perspective, and now I fell into the rabbit hole. I did find a precise drawing of a cube and trying to extend that to several in the same plane. Hopefully when I come out I will know better and continue with the circle, which is very much connected.

Thank you for watching over this forum!

C&C always welcome

Hi Arnoud,
                        Here I am here I found lots of cubic drawings and most of them have been a great job…Moreover, the comments are top-useful. I somehow couldn’t find a good perspective for an upright piano that is what I wanted to do for this exercise but I found this old kasbah/citadel and somehow the character of the lines and everything got me in…however the top “teeth” or indentations are too small to apply what you explained somewhere here as multiplying or mirroring planes…here is my first attempt: (and I hope when I render the shading it will show better)

here is the original image

Hi Arnoud,

I had a hard time before I was able a few seconds ago to enter the site….anyway no problem if the rest of this post has disappeared I am preparing a still life of cubes since this is about drawing cubic objects and i’ll post it soon I hope

here is a beginning for the still life:

a bunch of vintage suitcases

why have all Arnoud’s comments turned out ANONYMOUS?  funny site now

Profile PhotoDorian

Hi Arnoud,

When I first started work for this assignment, I was having a hard time getting the dice correct; then I started sketching cubes to various levels of completion and came back to it. The basic shape went so much easier.

I’m still struggling with keeping objects proportional to each other when I have more than one in a picture, but I think I managed with the dice.

I also was thrilled to realize I had an excuse to draw the TARDIS, lol (which had more lines involved than I was anticipating).

Profile PhotoDorian

Terribly sorry, I tried to post here ages ago and it wouldn’t post so I tried again (a couple times) and I guess it decided to post all of them now? Anyways, if an admin could delete these extras, that would be awesome as that doesn’t seem to be an option for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.