Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Liquitex satin varnish on top of Soluvar?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vickilh2

I did a painting that is a mix of acrylic and some thin areas of oil. If I varnished with Soluvar, could I then apply Liquitex varnish (just for acrylic, e.g., their satin varnish) on top of the Soluvar?

It seems like I should be able to, since the painting’s oil paint would be sealed?

Thanks! Vicki

contumacious

I did a painting that is a mix of acrylic and some thin areas of oil. If I varnished with Soluvar, could I then apply Liquitex varnish (just for acrylic, e.g., their satin varnish) on top of the Soluvar?

It seems like I should be able to, since the painting’s oil paint would be sealed?

Thanks! Vicki

First off, my response is based on the assumption that your OILS are on top of the acrylics. If that is the case then you need to treat it as if it was an oil painting.

Most (all?) non removable water based Acrylic varnishes that I have used specifically say not to use them over oil paint, so, no, you shouldn’t do that.

The PERMANENT water based Liquitex varnish might adhere to the REMOVABLE solvent based Soluvar without beading, but you probably shouldn’t do that even if it doesn’t bead up on application. Soluvar / Gamvar are removable final protective varnish that can be used on oil paintings or acrylics, Liquitex is a permanent acrylic varnish made for use on acrylic paintings only. This would create 2 top layers that are in the wrong order – Not a good idea. The only place that an acrylic material is OK to use in an oil painting is underneath the oils, never on top if you want good adhesion.

If your goal is a satin final finish on your oil painting the recommended method is to use a removable satin final varnish that is compatible with your oil painting such as Soluvar Satin or Gamvar Satin.

You don’t have to use a removable final varnish, but if you choose a permanent one, do use an oil based one, not an acrylic one. Removable is the most commonly used since it can be changed if needed but a permanent one is an option if you want to have the final sheen be an integral part of your painting that would not go away after a cleaning with mineral spirits.

vickilh2

I’d like a satin finish, but Soluvar does not offer a satin – only gloss and matte. Which would require some experimentation to see how mixing them in different percentages works out.

Gamvar satin is the other option, I just don’t have any left right now.

But it sounds like the satin varnish by Liquitex might not work well on top of Soluvar (also made by Liquitex). Acrylic on top of solvent-based. I didn’t know about the composition of Soluvar. But that makes sense.

Thanks!!

contumacious

You are welcome.

See my reply in your other post – You will be OK mixing in some Matte Soluvar if you have some of that on hand to achieve a Satin finish.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21774995#post21774995

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.