Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Doogwood Bloom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    FrankM

[please delete (am I able to? how?) — scan quality does not show accurate representation of painting, so viewing/comments will be irrelevant]

Here in the US South, we are enjoying new growth and flowers – one of my favorites in the area is the dogwood. We are fortunate to have a few of these trees in our yard and woods nearby.

I painted this bloom last night during our family reading time. Hot press is really a struggle — it behaves so differently than the cold press that I’m used to (and I’m not patient enough). I’d like to do more of these, so I’m grateful for any helpful C&C.

Unfortunately, my scanner did not allow for some of the subtleties I painted in the bloom – shadowing, petal lines, etc. (This remains a struggle. Any tips on scanning whites?)

7×10 on Artistico 140 HP

Cheers!
        Frank

FrankM

Catspeare

Frank, do you have a photo editing program that can bring up those subtleties?

Cat

FrankM

Thanks, Cat. I use Photoshop, though I’m not terribly proficient with its vast capabilities. I’ve never learned how to do something like this.

FrankM

Leah Howard

I have never had good luck scanning anything. I always use my phone to take pictures of my paintings in natural light and use the free program GIMP to crop, resize, and edit to make sure it’s the most accurate color representation. Often taking a picture in good light is enough for the colors and detail to be right without editing. :)

C&C Welcome!
                    @leahpaints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.