Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Lemons and Blue Glass Bowl — Three Ways

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

This is an exercise my art instructor asked us to do in my Monday afternoon watercolor class. We were to choose a subject and paint it in three different modes: realistic, stylized, and abstract. I used a beautiful photo from the RIL by Ellen in Ont (thanks, Ellen).

I pretty much work in the realistic mode, so it was a bit of a stretch for me tackling the other two.

Realistic Lemons and Blue Glass Bowl
    7″ x 10″ on Fabriano Artistico 300 lb Hot Press paper (first time painting on hot press paper)

Stylized Version
    7 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ on Saunders Waterford 140 lb cold press paper

Abstract Realism
    7 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ on Saunders Waterford 140 lb cold press paper

I found the stylized version the most fun to do.

Comments and critiques and advice welcome.

Sylvia

pjartwc

What a great exercise. You did excellent.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

That’s really a great exercise, Sylvia… and interesting to see the styles beside one another. Well done!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

KiwiKate

Well done Sylvia. I also like the stylized one best.

Kate
            Henderson, Nevada
            C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

A wonderful exercise Sylvia, I think I’ll give my class the theme one day.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thanks Jan, Char, Kate, and Doug.

It really does make you stretch your thinking to come up with the three versions. It was fun.

Sylvia

Zeldaquatic

Great work, great creativity!

ErnstG

Sylvia, all three styles you have succeeded perfectly!
                    (But the number one is I personally am sympathetic.)

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

rossmarie

Realistic & stylised I like Sylvia. The abstract seems flat and uninteresting.

Mike :)

Thanks for the comments Elsa, Ernst, and Mike. :D

Ernst, The first is the realistic version and I can understand you liking it the best because you, like me, are a realistic painter. :D

Mike, I found the abstract the most difficult to do because I just can’t think that way. :lol:

Sylvia

Interesting making it in three styles. I did it twice but both realistically. Funny that I didn’t include the dragonfly pattern on the tea towel in either of mine. I thought it would distract from the focus of the painting. I like your realistic version best (of course). :lol:

www.ellenspalette.com

TITOLIVIO

A very interesting job. Congratulations

WATERCOLOURS

olliewood0702

Sylvia, it’s great to have someone like Nita to help you stretch out of your comfort zone and try something new. I love all of these, great job on them all.

Darla

If I create from the heart, nearly everything works: if from the head, almost nothing. — Marc Chagall

yahya sryio

Nice …

Painting is jealous, and requires the whole man to herself. Michael Angelo

Ellen,
                                    The realistic one didn’t turn out as nicely as I would have liked because I tried hot press paper for the first time. Definitely won’t be using it again probably. I loved the little dragonflies, they are one of the delights of the photo IMHO. :D

Darla, Nita’s class is a terrific one because she is a knowledgeable instructor who is willing to help everyone work at their level of skill. Our class is a really good one too with some wonderfully talented artists.

Thanks for the nice comments Ellen, Darla, and Yahya.

Sylvia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.