WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Maimeriblu watercolors - Blue ?

Hello,

I would need advice about Maimeriblu watercolors:
How to choose between Light & Deep Cobalt blue. I know it is personal choice, but which is prefered by most artists to have on a palette? Right now I have Light Cobalt, since Deep seems similar to Ultramarine deep, but still I got advice that Deep Cobalt gives better results. And the same question about Cerulean vs Cyan Blue. Which is best?

Any experience would be nice to hear, Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Irishman

Re: Maimeriblu watercolors - Blue ?

Hi mavrica,

Unfortunately I am not able to throw any light on the Cobalt issue although I see that both Cobalts are PB28 so maybe it is simply a case of one being deeper more intense than the other.Handprints site says that the light version is similar to Daniel Smith's version which he says is less intense.But one of the wiser souls should be able to give you more advice.Myself, although the Maimeri would be cheaper,I'd prefer the Windsor and Newton version.
On the Cerulean Vs the Cyan( a version of Windsor or Phthalo Blue),this is a bit more straightforward as these two are two very different pigments and will do different things.They both will look very different on paper and will mix very differently with other pigments.A lot of people would have both in their palette although they are both on the cool side.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

I have Schminckes light version which is pb28. and is totally different to w&n french ultramarine both have own uses. i think deep is more closely ultramarine blue. but sometimes i readed some one recommend deep/dark version of it. and its maybe my hardest aquarelle colour like other cobalt pigments what i have but this is hardest i think and i mean how brush feels when i use pigment moves no so soft diffrence its small. and to ansver to you i think depednds you subjects and what other blues you have ? to me this light version what i have is maybe bit too light for single blue for example.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Australia Sydney

Hails from Australia

With the cobalt one is warmer color temperature then the other .With Cerulean is granulating non staining where by cyan is a thalo blue and it's transparent staining the cyan is pb 15.3 which is a strong version other brands in this blue start at PB15 they range from pb15 to 15.6 .
Ultramarine blue is a warm blue in most brands, in the Maimeriblu they have 2a light as well UMB and it's cool .
querin
querin
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Thank you all for your kind help. I'm making my first Quiller palette and have several blues but for my needs. I think I'll choose cyan with berlin blue for primary blues (but I'll use elsewhere cerulean too) and cobalt deep with ultramarine deep for blue-red shade. We will see, not sure yet...

Last edited by mavrica : 02-04-2012 at 05:51 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Australia Sydney

Hails from Australia

Berlin blue PB15.1 is a little lighter than the Cyan Pb15.3 it's in the phthalo family I love useing UMB, cobalt, cerulean when I need texture .
querin