WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: The Spotlight - January 2012 - Shadows

David, thanks a lot! Helsinki, ah! If you have the time, and have not been there before, there's a piece of architecture which I find enchanting (about the only modern building I love) and it is the world famous Rock Church, sometimes named something with Temple (Temple Rock Church). The reviews in this link are accurate, the top ones at least, those I read... :-) It is purely amazing to see the illusion of a hovering copper ceiling.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Wow, two wonderful paintings of the eggs!

Elisabeth, your painting is filled with luminosity and delicacy!

Charlie, As always, light filled and wonderfully 3-dimensional!

Both have very nicely done shadows filled with color!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Dave, I love your peppers! They shine, as do their shadows. I agree with Charlie about the blue background. The painting is vibrant, pulsing with colour!
Elisabeth. What lovely, delicate, luminous Eggs. I love the subtle colour variegation in this.
Charlie. More gorgeous Eggs. Love the crop, love the colour! I would know it was yours at 50 paces!

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Israel

Hails from Israel

elisabeth and charlie---love your eggs. Here's mine again, worked a little more than the missing one
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Bangalore, India

Hails from India

Thanks Dan for this lesson on shadows...very informative especially to a beginner like me.

It was only last year that I started painting a bit and have been enjoying working with pastels.I particularly love to paint flowers and am looking forward to working on the lily and tulip pics.

thanks again for all the valuable information.

Prashanti.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi All I did post peppers but they seem to have been misplaced, Just as well after looking at yours Dave mine looked real ratty I keep having trouble with the simpler aspects such as back grounds.
Chris and Don thanks for the vote of confidence and kind comments.
Charlie and Elisabeth, both great eggs I feel that they are the hardest of the group and I think I will take a pass on them. Maybe try the landscape.
David
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Lost posts. Again. Lost PMs. Again.

David, glad you liked the beautiful original building, it is a gem!

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

David, I think you varied the blue enough to avoid "kindergarten" look. It's there but not as oversimplified. It fades off losing intensity in the tints and shades. On the peppers too, the reflected color and rich shadows do a lot to break the "kindergarten" look. I think it looks better than if you'd muted it to a blue-gray. It's just right as it is.

Remember I said I don't usually like primary schemes. This one is masterful. The "Kindergarten" look is why I don't usually like primary schemes. You danced right past it and made it awesome. That to me is more powerful than if you picked an analogous scheme that I'd have loved on sight. The green stems help too. So do the wonderful abstract curving forms that curve out and twist in on each other, their organic forms are so lovely and you accented their dimensionality with how you handled the depth. It's very three dimensional and solid, the textures of the crisp fruit are so real even more than the accuracy of the form. The shine of their waxy surfaces. The way the big stem on the red one is this weird curling 3D shape twisting in on itself and jutting out - protuberances and indents aren't just two dimensional.

It's much more than realism. It comes alive and the saturated colors are beautiful. You didn't do kindergarten. The red in the blue breaks that if nothing else.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Now I know I was looking at several beautiful egg paintings earlier.

C & c's always welcome
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I want the eggs back !!! Such a short view of Charlie & Elisabeth's striking works.

Robert, thanks man. Honestly, still life realism is painful for me, because it's so easy to see weakness. I much rather paint expressionism or cubism than still life where it seems easier to hide But, I understand the discipline still life instills in painters: it makes one grow stronger all-around, because to paint believably you must focus so intensely on elements of painting. I always enjoy and inspired by your works and hope to see one if the thread behaves.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Oh No!!! Glad i didn't re-post my Eggs and sad that the lovely ones on here have gone. So, new posts are disappearing but the old ones still haven't come back. Hardly conducive to people making the effort to make posts and display work! I certainly won't until this is sorted out!

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Same here, no re-posting until it gets stable again. I have prophetic powers, so hearken: The lost posts will never be recovered and we'll be told it was a technical problem.

Must say these glitches has spawned a lot of humour in the forums. And humours... :-)

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
Same here, no re-posting until it gets stable again.

Probably a good idea....The message from sallspaw that appears at the top of the forums is dated from 1/10/2012 to 1/15/2012 which seems to indicate that the process of trying to fix things will take at least a few days more. Hopefully we'll get the word when the maintenance is completed and then we'll know whether we need to re-post the lost threads.

Ah, the fleeting nature of electronic data....

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi All, thanks for the votes of confidence Don and Chris with a special thanks to Chris for your suggestion of setting up a similiar scenario. I have taken the liberty to post my effort hope that is okay Don. If the lost posts ever come back you will see what a difference it was for me painting from life.
Charlie And Elisabeth what wonderful eggs I never would have attempted them they just looked to hard yet you both made it look like a walk in the park well done.
David
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

David,

Before (or in case) more posts disappear, want to let you know how much I enjoy your painting. It's so warm--exactly what we need here in the cold of Europe today, and probably in N.B. !

I like the volume, placement of the shapes (intimately close--warm, and not artificially "staged" for painting), and the variation (instead of 3 peppers, a nice apple and Pomegranite). The shadows are really well done. I like the reflected red on the table, and that you brought some table ochre into the fruit shadows. Highlights are also accurate and refined. You were able to separate the red fruits without physically separating in the composition.

A background warmth supports the cast of characters and unifies the painting.

Very well done; thanks for sharing.
Dave (Greenbrier33)