WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - October 2011 - Contrast

Dan, thanks for the input although I got pretty confused by the time I got to the end of your post. My first mistake is I didn't measure using even my pencil from photo to painting. I worked this up all by eye. I will look at it once again using your post to figure out how to correct this. I'll post it again once I fix it. Thanks for your input. Cali
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I have been lurking for the last month or so, enjoying the art and getting inspired. Thanks Don for the tutorial and the photo selection. This is my first post to the pastel forum, and I would be very happy for constructive critiscm.
Ros

about 23 x 15 cm - Art Spectrum pastels on black colourfix
photo by she-she

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Roz,

Very nicely done. Your strawberries look good enough to eat. I love the way you painted the milky glass plate using the blue background. Thanks for sharing. Cali
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Excellent, Roz! You captured the shine on the glass dish and strawberries perfectly. So beautiful. I love the way you created the form of the fluted dish too - there's some elbow room for shape on strawberries but the bowl is a lot tougher. Great indentations and seed pits on the strawberries. Well done!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States

Cali --- Don't worry, it was late, I found it pretty confusing to try to describe it myself. Probably should have just said to check the relative position and length of each leg. Here is the "impossible shape" I was alluding to that the cats legs were reminding me of. This might clear up a little of the confusion, at least about what one impossible shape looks like. I first ran across this in Mad Magazene many moons ago. For some reason it popped back into mind last night.

Rizzi --- You really nailed the strawberries and the dish. Where have you been hiding?

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Robert, Nice sketch of the rocky plateau! Nice dark shadows for contrast!

Cali, The cat looks good, but I would look for areas of contrast to help delineate the forms - like the area between the front legs and down the underside. Shadow there might help push back that back leg.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Ros, Welcome! Your Strawberry painting looks great! The white dish has nice contrast with the background and the red strawberries contrast well with everything! The blues throughout really harmonize the painting!

Don

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Cali, Robert, Dan and Don, Thank you all for your comments.
Dan, I've been in the watercolour and gouache section since I discovered WC. I mess a bit with pastels and would like to do more - love it.
Ros
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Everyone's work is so different and unique.

Don, thank you for the detailed lesson. I wanted to copy the master's work to see for myself the contrast and here they are.

Pastel colored cardstock 8.5 x 11 inch with colorfix pastel ground

Terry Ludwig, Daler Rowney soft pastels
Pan pastels for the dark gray background one
Pastel pencils for details

Not sure why the girl in the original photo has a very dark neck. Perhaps she works in the sun all year long but her body is covered with garment.

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Don,

I found this a tough photo to paint. My strategy (whether realized or not) was to use contrast to emphasize the natural focal point(s)--the rock formations.

I found the greatest value contrasts between the rock shadows, their peaks, and some of the highlight foliage. The heavy, dark-valued rocks also contrast against a lighter sky.

To utilize hue contrast -- the rust rock formations are contrasted against the powder blue sky.

An intensity variation is also hopefully present between the warm earth colors against a duller, grayer, background cliffs and sky.

Everyone's work from this month is exceptional. Great participation rate!

Dave (Greenbrier33)

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzi
Cali, Robert, Dan and Don, Thank you all for your comments.
Dan, I've been in the watercolour and gouache section since I discovered WC. I mess a bit with pastels and would like to do more - love it.
Ros

Roz, that's awesome. Deborah Secor migrated from pastels into gouache and noticed the similarities, especially in final effects. Pastels are a joy, I hope you stick around and have fun with them! It's also possible to have dry watercolor effects with Pan Pastels.

Sandra, your copies of the masters are great! I'm not sure about the girl's dark neck though, that could be shadow as much as her working in the sun. I'd have gone with what the master did on that even though yours does look good. Your call whether to follow or not.

Dave, wow! You may have had a hard time with that photo but your grand view of it is spectacular! I love the way you softened the foreground so much that my eyes just skim over it - less intense yellows, softer edges, everything leads toward the strong clear rocky red spires against the brilliant blue desert sky. Excellent painting. Definitely frame and hang or sell it, this one's a keeper!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Robert, appreciate your feedback. You are always so positive and constructive.

One friend / mentor of mine -- Michael Chesley Johnson -- paints breathtaking desert scenes. He's been a great inspiration, as have you and the other WC artists.

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Sandra, Thanks for joining us! I think copying Masters is always a great idea! I think your copies show the difference between a dark, medium and light background and the contrast with skin, hair, etc.

Dave (G33), I think your strategy worked exactly as planned! Your dark shadows give the rocks great emphasis, as does the warm/cool contrast. This is excellent all around!

Don

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Great works everybody. Keep it up!
Sorry Don just not going to make this one. First the grandson came and all pastels had to be locked up and now I am off on my trip. I had hoped to do at least one
Will join in next month again!

C & c's always welcome
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

My gosh peeps have gone ahead here this month.

I like your cat Cali, even if some peeps see his back leg forward. But it does help to check if proportions are correct

Nice strawbs Roz, nicely contrasted.

Strong mountains David (greenbriar33) lovely contrast with sky and dark shadows to make them stand out.

Good on you Sandra for attempting to copy the masters – that Idea make a lot of sense.

I have been gradually going through the exercises in Jackie's work-book. But thought I' d done enough this week and so had a go at the spotlight hay-bales today.
Here's a scanners worth of this 16“ by 11.5” canvas board painted over with sand colourfix primer
Pastels are inscribe, Daler Rowney and Derwent.
All detailed work done with Derwent pastel pencils.
jim