WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

David (Greenbrier)- Welcome back! You did a great job on those rocks. You shaded them just right. Hope to see more paintings.

David (BP)- Fantastic! Wonderful glass painting. It is a subject that many have a problem with. Not mentioning any names. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Tammy- Those folds look good. I think sometimes less is best. I know I am trying to get away from over working my paintings. It is hard to know when to stop. Great job on the rocks. They are standing tall and proud. Way to go.

cristona- Welcome. I am glad you decided to leave Lurkdom and join us. I wish more people would join in instead of just watching fron the sidelines. You did a fine job on your pears. They are well rounded and shaded. The folds look fine. I like your use of yellow for the background. It shows a good sense of light. Welcome again. I hope you take a stab at other photos.

Doug
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Wow, so much terrific work, and not even a full week into September! Kudos would go on for several pages, fantastic work everyone, welcome back David, and excellent, excellent work on the glass other David!

I'm back to work tomorrow, which means 0 time for painting, so I played a little with the pears. 10 1/2 x 12, Unison, Schmincke, Ludwig pastels on light grey LaCarte card, with torn LaCarte and gold Joss paper collaged (yes, you can stick collage on LaCarte with gesso!) Really, just for fun, but thinking about form!
Chuas
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Everyone has done such great work and I'm too far behind to comment on it all but congratulations to everybody.

Don - Thanks for this September Spotlight on Form. Your Spotlight's are always so informative and such fun. I liked the horse and will try to get one done soon.

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tammy, your pears do look good and so do the folds in the background. The trick with it is making the foreground cloth lay flat and come forward. If you use very light colors and shift the hues on the ďwhiteĒ cloth warmer in front, cooler in back, that helps. It can be very subtle but it does the trick. Charlie taught me that in http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527268 Still Life the Colourful Way.

Doug, your pears are totally different. Very bright and lively, enjoy seeing your Pans painting. The textureís so cool. Love the depth and rounded shapes they have.

Ruthie, wow! I love your dancerís legs and the light. You got her hand on her hip spot on too, both hands. Thatís tough! Her face changed a little but she looks good.

Jim, awesome layered transparencies in your bottles. I really love the spire on top of the tall one and the bases of the goblets. You got the feel of glass well.

Judibelle, fun pears! Your folds arenít too distracting, the pears are the main event. They push to background by hue and texture, the pears look more worked and their color makes them jump out as the main attraction.

BP, I see some major improvements in your waterside scene. Love the texture of the water, it lays flat and itís so much softer than the land areas. The light is blazing in this one. I donít see all your changes but they helped, itís looking even more lyrical and draws me right in.

My one suggestion now is that the tree on the far left still looks very symmetrical. Break the symmetry by creating a gap on one side or pull out a protrusion or two. Other than that itís splendid, the changes really helped.

I love the way you handled the sandy banks. That may be part of your changes, it really works now. Dappled shadow and sun on it with its softer reflections is wonderful.

Ruthie, I commented on your pears in the Mystery Palette thread. So this is my second look at them. Wow. The texture of the background is something that really sets them off. The left pear is definitely more of a focal area and now I can see that you softened the right pear to draw my eye in that direction. Itís beautiful. So much richness with so few colors! Well done!

Doug, wow! You totally changed the feeling of the landscape. Yours is almost somber but rich with color and very dramatic. I like how you clumped the trees closer together. I like the masses of color and value and the way the colors dance within them. This is a slightly less realist painting but itís gorgeous. Thereís something dramatic and compelling about the way you made it work, and it gives good recession too.

I like your crop, the reflections are not the main element in this painting. Oddly enough I feel as if the sunlit field is, the trees are guiding me into it to enjoy some last warmth at the end of the day. Cool crazy super-brights underpainting!

David! Your rocks are so dramatic. I love that eerie spire. It looks wild and glows with light. The foliage is excellent too, I like the clouds as backdrop - my eye keeps coming back to that focal area, the well defined rocky protrusions in the foreground spire. Gorgeous! You have a dreamy quality in this one, almost surreal mingled with impressionism.

Great glass bottles, Barriespapa! I love how you captured the roundness of the bottles and the clarity of the glass. Cool shadows too. Well done!

Tammy, I like the way you reworked the cloth on your pears. That really works now. Your desert scene came out great, love how you did the red spire and the distant rocks. Thereís a dizzying slant to the ground that helps make the spire look even rougher.

Cristiona, your pears look great. I like the way you varied their shape so well and the softness of your folds and shadows. Great color blending and mixing, itís softened but not overblended. Good highlights.

Chuas, I love your wild take on the pears! So cool with the gold joss paper and the lettering - that just made me smile. It looks true and itís also got that crazy whimsy. I like the way it looks like theyíre sitting on a sheet of rough paper or cloth that ends, putting the edge of the cloth theyíre on into the painting is a fine point that helps the whole. Now thatís creative!

Now that I'm all caught up and done writing my 3 Day Novel, I may follow Ruthie's example and use one of these references for either my Mystery Box painting or Mystery Palette painting. This is just so much fun - and Doug, you gave such a good vairety of references that I'm sure I can find something that'll work with either of those palettes.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Hails from South Africa

O, what fantastic entries! I am inspired! All those brave enough to do the rocks: Well Done! They look better than the photo itself!! Ruthie, your pears look so edible, yum!
Definately think I'll give pastel a go, although I've never taken part in this forum before.
Happy painting everyone,
Charri
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

David (Greenbrier33) - Welcome back! You've done a fabulous job on the Southwest desert painting!

David (barriespapa) - Great job on the glassware! You've captured the forms and colors really well!

Tammy - The pears (and the folds) look great! Nice job on the Desert painting, too!

Cristiona - Welcome to the Spotlight! So glad you joined us! Very nice job on the pears!

Chuas - Glad you joined us this month! Thanks for putting your original touch on the pear painting!

So many wonderful paintings! Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Charri, Thanks for joining us, too! We look forward to seeing your work! Glad you want to join the fun!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Robert....thanks so much for cheering me on...
I had a chance to do the bottles, but I'm embarrassed to show it, after Jim's and David's which were both so beautifully done...
This took about an hour, and since I love the photo so much, I may try it again, using some different shadings...and a different colr background paper.
(Didnt have blue)

anyway, it was fun...AND a challenge!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Smile Re: The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

Judibelle-Gorgeous colors on your glass!

Robert thanks for the link, that is really super helpful!

And I re-worked the rocks a bit a few more darks... picky me

I'll be leaving in a couple of days for New Mexico, but will comment and do some more of the refs when I back in about a week.. I'm hoping to get plein aire pastel painting while I'm out there..
Happy painting all!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi All thanks to everyone who made comment on my paintings. You are all very thoughtful.
Robert you are amazing in the time that you put in to critiquing,cant thank you enough.
chuas love your rendition of pears so very imaginative and great work.
Doug good job on the pond scene such bold colours, and great trees.
Don thanks for the critique on my ponds and the suggestions.
Charlie thank you also for the kind words and critique i am not sure that I can pull of the ripples suggestion without messing it up.
Cristionawelcome and nice pears hope to see you here in future.
david
P.S. hope I didnt miss anyone gets confusing jumping back and forth in the pages,well for me anyway
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Judi and Tammy sorry but i think we must have been posting at the same time I take for ever to post, no steno for sure. Judi lovely colors in the glass
Tammy. Great Job, and have fun in New mexico,happy plein aire.
david
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

David (Greenbrier), lovely to see you again, and the painting looks like you painted it on location, it has such presence.

Doug, great glow, love the crop.

BP, very good difference between glass and cast shadow.

Tammy, good job on both.

Cristiona, glad you 'un-lurked', nice 3D on the pears.

Chuas, love your humour!

Judi, I like it, it is great for just one hour, and IMO, the peach paper adds sparkle!

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi everyone....back again!

Gonna admit that I find many of these Spotlight topics scary scary but extremely educational all at the same time . So like a moth drawn to the flame I'm going to dive right into the deep end.

Thank-you for providing a lovely learning center! I'm always awed by how awesome some of the exercises turn out - nice job EVERYONE!!!

Just sketching, not sure about the proportions, I tried using fingers, pencils to try to estimate them. The butt and the feet/ankles are grrrrr...........frustrating but fun to figure out.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

Awwww crumbs, I had typed out a full answer when 'H' came in for a natter. Without thinking I closed the browser and lost it all! GRRRRRRRR....

Also was stupid enough to click on a url a couple of days ago where it did not open the expected U tube French horn players but started downloading the Personal Shield.Pro fake virus scam that leads to Spyware Dr.....

It's taken me hours of scanning to get rid.
Can I organise a group scream please?
jim
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I thoroughly enjoy a silent scream or online snarl every now and again LOL...

Been there, done that with disappearing posts and completely understand your frustrations.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Hails from United States

Ok, how do I say this properly?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone for the feedback! I'm here bouncing with joy for any comments, let alone the wonderful and specific ones you all gave.

I will try to participate more. Work's been busy so I don't have as much time during the week as on the weekends, but it's such a wonderful community here that I want to (hopefully) add to all the good.