WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

BP, wow! Gorgeous interpretation of the trees and water scene. I like the way you created a beautiful sky. You're so right about the greens. I could probably get all the "greens" collections in several brands and still want more. Sometimes it helps to throw in a few golds, browns, oranges and violet bits into foliage.

Don, thank you for a great challenge! Some of these are so easy I can squeeze them in even if I'm insanely busy. Others so challenging if I want to really dive in I can practice difficult forms. You chose a great variety of subjects and several favorites among them. Pears are the most fun fruit for still lifes, easy to anthropomorphize like fat-bottomed little people. Irises are among my all time favorite flowers, especially to paint. The trees have great forms, bending and swaying like dancers. The dancer's got great curves and a relatively easy pose... all of them are fascinating each in its own way. Thank you!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Question Re: The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

BP-Beautiful painting of the trees and the reflection in the water is great!

I did the still life, of the pears- Thanks DAK- Ireally like doing still lifes...I am a bit stuck though, The pears look fine but the cloth has me a bit stumped
I had this problem awhile back with a still life of gourds but was able to work it out, but I sure could use some pointers on this white cloth- Thanks.
Done on sienna pastelmat with various softies.. Also did an underpainting with pastls blended with alcohol...
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Tammy good start I actually dont think your folds are very far of quite good really I know they are off a little but not sure how to correct myself I think it is mostly a color adjustment needed I am sure some one will come along with the answer for you sorry not much help.
David
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

barriespapa- Good job on the trees. They are a tricky subject and all I can say is keep it up. You will never find the right green....or blue....or red Pastels are addictive and now you know why. We want them all! Have fun!

Tammy- You did a good job on the pears and your folds look fine to me. I think we are sometimes our worst critic. Enjoy your creation!

I took a stab at the pears as well. I LOVE painting pears. We had all three of our kids home a few days ago for the first time in over a year and they still ask me if the pears are for eating or painting. I have them trained.

This is done on 5 x 8 Uart 800 grit paper using Pan pastels. I laid in the shapes of the pears using the edge of one of the blue tools and then put the pastel to paper. No drawing this time, just let go and had a fun 20 minutes. I might give this one another try. C & C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for hosting, Don.

Doug
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Hails from United States

don...
wow! quite a different theme this month.
I am not talented enough to attempt any type of glass or cannister.
I seem to gravitate toward the iris picture, maybe its the beautiful colors. The tree picture I did last year for another monthly challenge. I dont know if I can post it here or is this just for pieces we do now.
Since I am busy doing paintings for my upcoming show, I will attempt to do one of the monthly challenges at the end of the month.
Thanks for the wonderful pics
ANN

Member PSV Pastel Society of Virginia.....Dogs, Horses, Nature & Art, thats what I love!
MY ART WEBSITE...... http://ann-becker.fineartamerica.com
MY HANDCRAFTED WEBSITE...... http://www.twocorgisstudio.etsy.com
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

WOW...Doug and Tammy...Terrific pears, both of you!
I'm hoping to try them, also...very tempting.
Barriespapa...very nice job on the trees....I like the way you did the sky, too.
great photos, Don...good challenges!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

BP, Great tree scene. The water shimmers. Wish I could see it a little bigger......
Tammy, your pears are great, lovely depth in the form! Re the cloth, the left side shows faitly well. On the right, just squint your eyes at the ref and you'll see that there is a gradation of colour and value from left to right, darker on the left. Instead of making lines of colour try and concentrate on the value shifts. Could make it look even better!
Doug, Lovely shiny juicy Pears! How's the new studio performing? I'm looking forward to seeing paintings of the view from your house too!!
This is the first day for ages I've had a chance to relax outdoors in gorgeous sunshine. Wouldn't you know it there is a burglar alarm going off constantly in a neighbouring house! Happened yesterday too. Grrrrrrr!!!!!
So I'm going in the studio, with the radio on, to paint a Spotlight challenge piece!

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Tammy, Very nice job on the pears! The folds look OK to me!

Doug, Your pears look good, too!

Ann, I don't want to sound annoying, but there is nothing special about glass or canisters, so you shouldn't feel like you are not talented enough for them. One thing to remember is that everything can be reduced to a shape. Don't think "this is glass - how does one paint glass?" Instead, it is "here is a shape of blue-green next to a shape of light blue, etc."

I guess I'll have to pay more attention when choosing my refs - I had forgotten that I had used the trees before! Instead of posting that painting, maybe you might want to tackle the same ref again and see how you can do it differently - perhaps focusing on the shapes of the big silhouettes, or cropping to make a different composition. Just a thought! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Don, those pears are speaking to me! Both the photograph and your beautiful painting (although I may have to try the glass... ). Fantastic color Tammy! Great job on the landscape David, you tackled those reflections wonderfully!

Like Charlie, I got something on the easel to finish first, but September is young, I'll get there!
Chuas
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Great to "see" you here Chuas!

Well, I've done one. Hour and a half, including a failed drawing (couldn't fit her feet on the paper ) and putting a load of washing out! Burglar alarm seems to have stopped now
About 12x5" on re-claimed pastelmat. It ain't perfect, especially the face, but it's OK for the time taken.

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hope that was a false alarm Ruthie. I love your rendition it amazes me that you can produce a painting of this caliber in just 1.5 hrs. I have a halve symbol on my keyboard but don't know how to get it.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
good pix and an important consideration
as to what catches the eye, and how to render it within a frame/edges .

i wil say that a silhouette and blocking are Not the same thing
- a silhouette is understood as black/white
- blocking/mass is about value And colour
> imagine a scene where there are no deep darks
such as an egg on a white cloth ...

i'm enjoying all the pics and comments
- good to see and read the dialogue

Ed :}
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

Good trees and water BP. lovely pears tammy and folds get to me so I have managed to avoid them until now anyway. Oops no I did one in class 101 drawing - how did I get away with that
Fine pair of pears Doug, your getting them ok.
Ruth I can only re-iterate the other poster. How you mange to turn out such good work in such a short time is beyond me.
I've done the wine caraff and glasses and it's taken me last part of the afternoon and most of this evening.
All Derwent pastel pencils except white unison to cover where I had to erase.
Oh Photo by flash and size is 7.5" x 16" (should be same ratio as the original)
jim

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Ruthie...I love dyour ballet dancer....well done!
and Jim....your bottles are topnotch! I have laid in the block for the bottles, but havent started adding color yet...hope mine turn out as well as yours did!
Here are my pears....no wonder you like doing pears, Doug....really fun.
I sure didnt get the folds right, but I love the shapes within this photo...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Jim very nice job on the classware i always find them hard to do specially in a opaque medium. Judi Great shapes is correct as is painting in pastels is so much fun no matter the subject.
David