WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere. And no critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month are taken by me, or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month, “The Spotlight” is on...Form!

There are many aspects that go into making a painting, and sometimes it can seem overwhelming. Color, the manipulation of edges, atmospheric perspective, finding the right values – so many decisions to make! Sometimes, we are in such a hurry to get on with the painting process, we rush through the initial stages of composition and the sketching in of the major elements of the painting. But, these initial design decisions are often the backbone of the entire painting.

So, this month I thought it might be a good idea to try to simplify things a little and concentrate on one of the basic elements of any drawing or painting – and that is form.

I’ve tried to choose references where the big, basic forms are predominant. While there are many ways to start a painting, one of the most popular is by beginning with the largest shapes and arranging them into your design or composition. You can sketch in outlines of your main forms or you can block them in as silhouettes. Thinking of them as silhouettes is often a good idea in painting, as you give the shape mass as well as its basic form. Doing some thumbnails to help you compose the basic shapes into a composition is also a good starting point.

Since we are concentrating on the basic forms – both of individual objects in the painting and the design of those forms into compositions, let’s think about how we can make those forms as artistic as possible. Remember, you never have to follow the reference exactly (whether photo or real life) – you can recompose and manipulate references as much as you want. In fact, it is almost always a good idea to interpret the reference with the goal of making the painting as artistic as possible, in my opinion.

To those who may be unfamiliar with the idea of going beyond just representing the objects accurately, here are some possible thoughts and ideas about creating more artistic shapes and forms. You might ask yourself:

Should I try to make the forms or shapes more beautiful?

Should I try to make the forms more interesting or varied? Or simpler?

What is the basic character or essence of the form - for example, is it massive (like a mountain), or graceful, angular, tall, slender, delicate, straight, curvy, etc.?

Can I use exaggeration to help emphasize the basic character or essence of the form?

What do I put in and what do I leave out that might help emphasize the basic character or essence of the form(s) or improve the composition?

Those are some basic questions I often ask myself. How about you, any ideas on creating artistic shapes and forms? If you have some in mind – or if some of mine give you any ideas – please experiment and try them out! And this is the place to do it – here in the Spotlight!

And here are the refs:

Photo by Ivyleaf

Photo by She-She

Photo by Carollynn

Photo by yolanta

Photo by Bookscorpion

Photo by me

Photo by me

Hopefully, I've found a wide variety of subjects that will inspire everybody! Our challenge this month is creating artistic forms!

Please, post all your efforts here in this thread! All discussion, questions, and brainstorming welcome as well!

Have fun!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England
Re: The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

That is a wide selection Don, thanks for some lovely choices. I'll pass on the trees but I'll have a go at one of the rest of these this month all being well.
jim
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hey, Don, good lesson (yours are always good!). I'd love to play, I need some sketches/small paintings. I'm in, but later, gotta finish the one on the easel first.

Jim, tired of trees already?

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Jones County, NC

Hails from United States

Don, what a great idea! Great photos to work with - I'm definitely in!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Don great selection I will try one of them this month Do we only enter finished pieces or can they be entered as wips. David
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Reisterstown, MD

Hails from United States

Hi Don, this looks like fun and challenging! I'm definitely in and I will try one soon. Linda
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thanks everybody! I look forward to seeing what we all come up with!

Jim, I was thinking of you when I put in the tree ref!!

You don't need to wait until you are finished with your painting to post. WIPs are perfectly fine to post. In fact, you can post thumbnails, block-ins or any initial sketches if you are looking for opinion and feedback, too.

Don

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Good to know, Don. I'm eyeing that rock, it is a good photo, but the rock is like a hand with fingers, a bit creepy, and very curious looking. I'm thinking of making it more beautiful (and it is the thought that counts, right? Not the result... :-)

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

looks like fun. im in!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

Some promising images this month then.
I've promised to do a tree already this month Don so I'll not want to do another - no not tired of them Charlie - just sick sore and fed up with them

Oooh I am having probs here. Forgot the passwords (I'm on SWMBOs pooter) and the alterative email addy I forgot also....forgot the WC one as well. The other pooter is busy wiping old drives for donating.
I'd better go and check the other machine- there are two more HDD to do.
jim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Another good lesson Don. I hope I have time to do one. I rather like the Dancer................

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Don Here is my effort so far definitely would like advice it seems that if I had 100 greens i would never have the right one This is on mat board and is 20" x 16" using my mungyos and F.C.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

My, you're fast, BP. Looks great, better than the photo! (Sorry, Don, but the sky and water *are* burned out.) You simplified and added bg, good. No, there are never the right greens, but you can modify them by using other colours under or over them (lightly). Only advice I have is to use less dots for foliage, and paint larger 'clumps' of them. Trees can be seriously slimplified, and then just have a bit of 'fluff' at the edge.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks charlie I really do appreciate the advice after i posted it I thought right away that I had made the stupid mistake of putting the 3 trees to central to the painting, and I do know better.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

David, Thanks for starting us off this month! This looks really good! Glad you added some blue to the sky!

Yes, the pic is overexposed! I actually took this with a new camera that I bought over a year ago. It tended to overexpose, so I sent it back!

Don