WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States
Re: ~~~Watering Hole~~~ February, 2012

Good morning!
Austin was MUCH improved yesterday. I haven't talked to his mom yet this morning to find out if I'm supposed to take him to school or not.
I woke up in the worst pain I think I've ever had at about 2, turned the heating pad back on, woke up at 3 (heating pad only stays on for 1 hour for safety), turned it on again. . .at 5, I got up and took a Celebrex. Went back to bed at 6 and slept good until 8. I didn't think the weather affected me, but now I'm thinking it does as we are cooler and expect a good storm today. I'm no longer going to try to NOT take the Celebrex. . I seriously had a very hard time getting out of bed because of the pain I hate taking pills.

Jackie,
Glad you have a short work week! I hope you get some creative time AND the inspiration to use it. Letting go of "stuff" is hard to do and a lesson I have had to exercise regularly and STILL have to remind myself to REALLY let it go!

Linda,
That cookbook program sounds slick! I'll have to check it out!! I have TONS of cookbooks (as I believe you do too) and while I do usually remember which one has which recipe, sometimes I'm looking through several before I find it.
Oh No, how are you going to deal with Nick's leg?

Doug,
The grilled cantaloupe "recipe" I saw was to cut it in half, but do not peel it, and place it on the grill cut side down. Grill until carmelized. Use it as an ice cream bowl. Personally. . .I can't eat half of a cantaloupe, so I think this would be dessert for two!! I tried to grill it for class and used my farberware inside grill, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better using the outdoor grill. I may try it again sometime.

ML,
I'm still working on getting the fibro under control. . .think I'm going to have a drug day I have my class to shop for, but that will be fast. I also plan on a nap this afternoon.

to all who follow!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Morning All,

Hi ya Doug hope you have a great day!!

Linda, I have a River Road cook book that I got back in 1971 when I was living in Louisiana..Love it!! I have another one called "Good Housekeeping in Old Virginia", that one I got in 1969...A well known TV personality(who went to jail) used ideas from this book when she first started her show, but failed to mention that little fact! I kept most of my Grandmother's and Mothers best old cook books, so have some pretty good vintage stuff running around here..I mostly like the ones from the fifties, cause I like the illustrations
..Poor Nick, hope its not serious, cause if you can't touch him, you won't know till it gets really bad

Brenda, you are right..Stress and Fibro go hand in hand..

Mary Lou, hope you are feeling better too...Don't now why, but the word "NO" only has two letters in it, but so hard to say..

Well not much going on here(thank you God!) so will go for now...Big Big wave at Shirl, Ona, Jackie and Kay..

Azure
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

My laundry doing was slowed down by my Wintie wanting to do a load, so I let her go first. I washed two loads and dried one yesterday, and washed one load and dried another this morning. Now my last wash load is in the dryer.

I got the next Michael Connelly book from the Kindle library and started it yesterday - The Narrows. I'm reading them in order of publishing date, and it sometimes takes a couple of weeks for my name to move up to the top on the waiting list. Fortunately, I have over 200 other free Kindle books to read in between.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I never cook, but I have a few cookbooks. One came with my set of aluminum cookware which I bought for my "hope" chest in 1959 while I was still in high school. PS, it was hopeless.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

That's funny, Shirl! I can relate. I majored in Food & Nutrition at Texas Tech to be a dietician then switched to nursing...now never cook maybe once a week, 'cause I'd rather be painting!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hello all!

I agree with Kay and Shirl......reading and art beat cooking hands down! I love to eat, even more so if someone else will cook it for me LOL!

Just about to hang some washing out, then time for a shower before I head out to the gift shop for a stint helping out......although the temptation to come home with another book or jewellry purchase is just too much sometimes

Brenda, started a small pic yesterday with my Derwent Graphitints and Inktense....will post when finished
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Just stopping by to say good morning while having my light session. Busy morning with email but quiet here on WC. Hope you all have time for some creative expression today.

Doug
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone.
As soon as the Celebrex wears off, I'm in pain. So. . .I'm not missing a dose!!
Today is relaxation day. I had a phone message to bring either a salad or a dessert to the funeral tomorrow, so I will have to venture out to get ingredients. I think I'll just do a big pan of the apple dumplings -- they are fast and easy and good.

Shirl,
Sounds like you are enjoying the Michael Connelly books -- I think there might be a new one I haven't read yet, but other than that, I've read all of his.

Kay,
My major was accounting and my minor was English. . .who would've thought in my retirement years I'd be teaching COOKING. I've always enjoyed cooking, just never thought about teaching it!!

Azure,
It took me a long time to learn the "no" word. You wouldn't guess it, but I DO use it! In fact, I had two requests last week that I said it to!!
A lot of my stress is self-induced because I don't/can't do as much as I'd LIKE to do. I'll make to-do lists that are impossible to achieve, so it's a battle to whittle down the list and then prioritize the items. Even though I remove something from my list, it's still in my mind

Jackie,
Aside from Kay and Doug, I think you are the only one working on art!! Art is relaxing for me and I really need to get the thought out of my mind that I can't do "fun" stuff until the "must do" stuff is done. I think the adage of work before play is deeply ingrained!! Also. . .doing fiber type art lately has taken precedence!! I ordered THREE new pattern books this week

ML,
How's it going? Are you feeling any better??

Doug,
Hope your day allows for some creativity as well!!

to all who follow!!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Brenda, sure hope you feel better very soon! You need a relaxing day! Grilled cantaloupe, um, think I will pass on that one!

Shirl, awww on the hope chest. I am still traumatized by not getting asked to a single HS dance or Prom!

Ona your latest looks marvelous, I passed it on to my art friends.

Doug I tried braising after looking up what it was, and think I got the heat too low. They never browned but were cooked so I did not add any water. I made veggie curry with a mix for the sauce.

Azure I love River Road! The first one in particular!

Jackie I hear you on the shopping! I just can't walk in a store....

Mary Lou any idea if you are moving or not?

Kay it is funny the twists and turns life takes. I was on a seismic boat in the gulf for days to learn about acquisition of data, and hung out a lot with the cook learning how he made these fabulous cinnamon rolls. Not that I remember now...

Watched the Hoarding show on Netflix, ok aHUGE clean out of our 20 +years of stuff is going to happen after I finish the cookbook reorg.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Oh we are watching Burn Notice on Netflix. A fantastic show about an ex spy!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I'm watching "Army Wives", 81 episodes from the Lifetime network.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

'morning all...

B, a lot of what you said sounds just like me! Especially lately, I always feel like I need to get stuff done before I can go in the studio and have fun. I need to stop that!! Sorry you're still having so much pain; a relaxation day sounds like just what the doctor ordered! I'm doing better, thanks! I did get out some art books and look through them last night, and even put a layer on the pansy practice - at 10:30 pm!!

Azure, glad to hear things are getting back to normal Did the rain get to your area yet? We're cloudy and cool, rain is supposed to hit here around noon, and gone by tomorrow. We had a plumber here yesterday - my bathroom sink backed up, thankfully it was an easy fix, and I had him clean out the kitchen drain while he was here as a preventative measure.

Shirl, your hope chest gave me a giggle; I didn't even have one

Linda, don't feel bad, I think prom is blown out of proportion - I didn't go to any proms either. We'll still be moving this year, it's just a matter of *when*. The tenant is moving out on Saturday, and we're planning to drive over to AZ for a couple of days next week to see what needs done and try to get some estimates. What's a seismic boat?? You've had pretty adventurous travels in your career.

DH is taking an 'admin' day so he'll be home doing office stuff. I'm going to clean up our meat slicer and put it on Craig's List. It's from my MIL's cafe, a Hobart 410 commercial slicer that I *thought* we'd use. I've had it 6 years and never turned it on - it's covered up on a table in the garage. I checked eBay, and average price is $250 - $350, so might as well put it out there and see what happens.

Waving to Doug, Jackie, Kay, Ona and anyone else peeking in! Hope you have a happy & creative day!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

Hoarding Show?? I'll have to check for that - I watched one about hoarders a few years ago - it was dumbfounding how much stuff this elderly couple had in their house - filled a freaking warehouse!!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Back in the early 70s when I was in college, I sold Avon, and once I knocked on an apartment door in my neighborhood and these two elderly ladies invited me inside. The apartment was filled to the brim with stacks of newspapers. It was like one of those mazes they make in the cornfields. I had to follow them around narrow paths to get to where they had a place to sit. Incredible, and my gosh, what a fire hazard.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Hi gang, Can't stay and play..just got a phone call GD is having a huge melt-down at program, so need to leave now, cause they are bringing her home early...Later