WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States
~~~Watering Hole~~~ February, 2012

Welcome to a new month of our chat thread. So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and let's get acquainted.

Waving to all - make time to be creative!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: ~~~Watering Hole~~~ February, 2012

Thanks for the recipes Brenda! Sounds to me like your student might have a learning disability. I can hear a whole lecture sometimes and then not recall a thing that was said 5 min. Later!

Well the goats busted out of the gate and stole part of Nicks breakfast, and part of the cats. So Nick got an extra apple nd oatmeal cookie. He planted his back feet IN his dish later to ward them off, but it was too late. He has all you can eat hay though. And he will too $$$$$$

Last edited by KreativeK : 02-02-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: clarity
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks for the start to the new month Shirl! I'm glad January is over!

Linda, I googled Trucko; it sickens me that animals like him are allowed to breath the same air. And then the twisted people that actually make money from their memorabilia - not to mention the ones who buy it! A family from this area just won a multimillion $ judgement from the CHP because a couple of officers emailed photos of a horrific accident in which the girl was decapitated and of course spread all over the internet. The accident happened about 5 years ago and they are still trying to get the photos removed from all the thousands of websites that posted them. Sounds like you have your hands full with the critters!

Azure, how did it go with the plumber?? it's done and not too costly.

Jackie - good for you not sinking to her level! I would love to hear her reaction when you give her the portrait! DH & I are considering getting the Kindle Fire this year - I can imagine we'll be jockeying for position on who gets to use it; I'll probably be relegated to continue reading on my phone! Since we just got the Roku & Netflix, I'm actually surprised at how much he uses that!

Oh, which reminds me for the Netflix subscribers - did you hear about the new Netflix series called Lillyhammer? It starts this month, and stars Steven Van Zandt (from the E Street Brand and Sopranos fame). It's about a New York gangster who is placed in witness protection and he chooses Norway as his destination - I watched the trailer last night and it looks like it may be pretty good. Although I read in the WSJ that Van Zandt will speak English and the rest of the actors are Norwegian, so there will be subtitles. The trailer didn't have subtitles.

Oh, and did you all hear Ona's wonderful news?? I subscribe to her blog and we're FB friends, but I'll let her tell you! Congratulations Ona!!

Today I have to do the usual 1st of the month stuff, and I have a pedicure at 10am so I need to get busy!

Waving to all that follow, have a happy and creative day!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
A Local Legend
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone,

I never got around to posting my news here yesterday. I was planning to do it in the evening then a friend came around and the evening disappeared.

I had a phone call about a week ago to say that I have been selected for Election as a signature member of the Canadian society of Painters in Watercolour CSPWC. I then had to take my paintings for verification by one of the selection committee which went really well. Now I’m just waiting for the paperwork and then I need to take the completed forms with the selected painting down into Toronto to be included in the National collection. Then I will be able to use CSPWC after my name. I feel very honoured.

Hope you all have a great Feb! Alex has his last exam this morning. Rebecca finished hers on Monday so she is painting today

Ona
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

It's February already!! Jan sure flew -- seems like last week was Christmas. Thank you, Shirl, for starting us off for the new month.

I have my follow-up doctor appt this morning at 11 and then need to stop at Target on the way home. Yesterday I had hair and pedi appts and that was ALL I was able to get done. I came home and went to bed. I'm afriad my recovery is taking longer than I'd like it to I haven't done laundry in 2 weeks REALLY need to at least get started on it today.

Shirl and Linda,
I do think this student has a learning disability. I also think it's good to re-evaluate my teaching methods. I've never taught (except craft stuff in very informal settings) until teaching this class, so I know I have room to improve.

Linda,
The trial is the kind that my husband is hired for expert witness work. Through the years of him working in the prison system, I've heard more horrid stories than most people. It still shocks me at how inhumane some people are. While I do believe in rehabilitation, there ARE some criminals who could never be rehabilitated short of a miracle from God. Trucker is one of those. He and others like him are why I believe in the death penalty. There's no telling how many crimes these animals commit that they are never caught for. . .they brag about those crimes when they are in prison. I am in prayer for all the families involved in this case.
Sounds like Nick is fitting himself into the managerie -- I have visions of him putting his foot in his feed dish.
You're welcome for the recipes. I use several recipe sites, but cooks.com is my favorite. I've found long lost recipes there, which just thrills me!

ML,
I'm thinking I'm going to want a Kindle Fire before the year is out -- hee hee. I had bought a few Kindle books recently that were available for rent through my Amazon Prime account, I couldn't figure out why the free offer didn't have a button to click so I wrote Amazon. The reason is because you have to do free book loans through the Kindle, they cannot go through via the computer. Anyway... the folks at Amazon went back through my recent purchases and issued me a $26 credit (which would've been how much I'd have saved if I did the loan instead of the purchase)! I LOVE Amazon!!!

Jackie,
Your story about the lady who you are finishing that art piece for reminded me of a saying my pastor says, "Don't get bitter, get better." It's always better to rise above someone instead of lowering yourself to their level and being bitter. You never know, this free piece of art just might turn into some paid art from her or from someone she's shown the piece to!

Ona,
I said it on FB, but it's worth saying again. . .
CONGRATULATIONS

to Doug, Azure and everyone else who hasn't popped in for our Feb "hole" Wishing everyone a creative day!!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone and congratulations ona. Good job!!!!!

I'm being bad and checking here during my day long meeting. At least tonight will be good since they are taking to a nice restaurant for dinner..

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

On a quickie break now, but wanted to jump in and say happy February to everyone and well-deserved congratulations to Ona!!!

Due to lack of time and interest I will not be setting up a monthly WM Challenge here in the forum. Only 5 people, myself included, participated in January. It takes me hours to locate photos, scan, and post or get digital ones ready and I don't have tons of spare time. Then time to draw and paint something has to be figured in as well. I have asked for volunteers to no avail. Other forums have the same problem and do run a thread asking for volunteers, so may try that as a last resort. Any ideas are appreciated so don't be shy.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Mary Lou, sounds like a cool series! I have been watching Burn Notice, which is highly entertaining, a great series about a spy who gets burned.

Congrads Ona!

Brenda the Brussels sprouts were yummy!

Doug I saw some lovely botanical type fruit and veggies in the Cooks Illustrated magazine.

Kay 5 people participating is great for a water media challenge! An idea can just be put out, not all the photos, but it is up to you. I have not been painting for ages now, I can't seem to focus on that now.

A bit of work this week that has to be done NOW. still waiting for $ from Dec. do you have to report earnings for a year if you dont get it that year? I am so exhausted.....donkeys screaming for the 2nd time, I better get moving. Goats got impatient yesterday and bashed open the gate, ate Nicks food, he ate cats food.....and exter snacks too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

Hey, you guys give me an idea, and I'll start the thread each month. No photos. Then we all keep an eye on it and be encouraging. ???
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Morning All,

Mary Lou, survived the plumber and got everything cleaned up...Didn't have to do the carpets this time, but the throw rugs and lots of towels had to be laundered..This is the fourth large water leak that I've had here..The pipes are old and need to be replaced, but just don't have the four to six grand to re-plumb this place.. Time to start looking for another place to live...sigh
..Did get a bit of good news yesterday at the doctors..My BP is now back down to normal range..120/50. After the week I'd had..you could have knocked me down with a feather ..But will stay on the Lisinopril and keep a eagle eye on the sodium intake..

Linda, sounds as if you could use some help with your grrr-animals

Ona, Congratulations!! That just rocks!!

Brenda, Yes teaching adults with learning disability's can and is, a real challenge, I had 5 in my class when I was the "teachers assistant" and one was missing his right hand But you are very good at what you do and I know you will find away to teach them...The key is finding out what kind of disability they have...

Kay, sorry you are not getting as many response's as you'd like here..We are a pretty small group even tho we get lots of others peeking in...Your time is the most precious thing a person has and I would like to thank you for sharing yours with me...I think you are a fine artist, a wonderful teacher and love looking at your site...

Hi Ya, Doug, Shirl, Jackie...Hope everyone has a great day!!

Azure
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestMoon
do you have to report earnings for a year if you don't get it that year?

Linda - Nope! You report it for the year you received it, and they can't (or are not supposed to) report it for 2011 on your 1099. So that means they shouldn't be sending you a check back dated to 2011 either. One of our tenants pre-paid his January rent in December, and we have to claim it as rental income for 2011.

Kay, I empathize, but we can help!

Shirl, that's a great idea!

Azure, great news on the BP! I was watching Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon and he said that one glass of beet juice a day helps to reduce BP. February is heart month, and I just happened to catch that part of the show.

B, hope you're gaining your strength back - with your schedule I'd be wiped out all the time!

Doug, how was dinner??

Ona, congrats again - I'm sure Denis (in that lovely deep voice of his) is congratulating you and saying "I knew it" from above...

Jackie, Robert, Rog, Lindas and all peeking in -

Today is sweatshop day - lots to get done for the 1st of the month stuff. Nothing new on the contract extension (yet) - I swear, LAC is as inefficient as any other government entity. They move at the speed of a glacier.

Have a happy and creative day!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, Shirl, that's a great idea. I just read this after posting something to do for February, so maybe you'll get some feedback.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks Mary Lou for the info!

Great ideas Shirl and Kay!

I am hold up looking for vegan recipes, my books arrived!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone.

Hope all are going to have a good/productive/creative day. I'm back in another all day meeting but it is at a lull at the moment.

ML, dinner last night was great. I had wonderfully prepared lamb chops with an excess of veggies along with it. Strawberry-rhubarb crips for desert and our group wine expert picked on that was very, very nice. The restaurant was a very nice one. It did make up for the long day

Enjoy your day!
Doug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

Yesterday I had my fastest doc appt ever . . .I told the receptionist to mark it down as a historical day. Everything was fine; even with the fibro pain, my BP is always low 105/60. My doc said she would manage my fibro so I don't have to go back to the rheumatologist unless I get more auto immunes or the fibro gets noticeably worse. She also verified that I can double up on the Celebrex if needed. I did not double up yesterday or this morning, so I must be doing better.
Yesterday I got the grands valentines gifts and have the girls' bagged up to be shipped. They look so cute -- pretty little valentine bags filled with goodies and a stuffed animal peaking out of the top.
Almost finished with laundry and plan on getting my sewing area cleaned this afternoon so I can get started on the rag doll. And maybe that will motivate me to get the new window converings done for our bedroom and bathroom (I've had the fabric for 3 years now! ) Just NO motivation, plus it's a LOT of windows!!

Shirl,
wow -- THANKS for jumping up to the plate on our challenges!!

Kay,
This group has never been great at participating plus we ARE a small group. So 5 participants was probably the best we've ever had.
Totally understand your busyness and there's nothing wrong with asking for help.

Linda,
Glad you liked your Brussel Sprouts (I was going to acronym that, but thought it best I didn't ). As ML said, you claim the income on the year payment is rec'd, UNLESS the check is back dated. If it is back dated, they can 1099 you and you'll have to claim it. So if they give you a check dated for 2011, ask for a replacement dated 2012.

Azure,
You may have to move? Bummer!!

Doug,
Yum -- that dinner sure does sound good! I'm not overly fond of rhubarb (DH loves it), but combined with strawberries I do like!

Wishing everyone a very creative day!!