WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Hails from United States
Re: New to everything. Please help : )

Thanks for the encouragement! If (big IF) I get up the nerve to post, how do you recommend is the best way to get the images in? I have tried photographing my paintings but am completely unsatisfied with the outcome; they just look flat and less vibrant. I hunted around a bit (since I am sure there must be advice on this site somewhere on the best way to digitally capture OP drawings ) but I haven't yet found it. I do have several works in process that could use some constructive criticism (since I have only shown things to my family, who pretty much say they like everything. Bless them.)
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Aren't families wonderful? If you have a scanner you could scan the image. I find that taking a picture is the best. Do you turn off your flash?

Pat
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Hails from United States

I was hesitant to use the scanner since I will be in BIG trouble if ruin the glass. ;-) I will experiment more with the camera and see how things look.

I just found the "read this before posting to WC" section. Just a little late, sorry. This whole site is a little intimidating to me, but I have seen that newbies are treated kindly. So if I have had the nerve to get this far, I may as well jump in. I may try the March challege (or April's) as Hal suggested, but in the meantime, where would be the appropriate place to post a picture or two to get feedback? I don't want to post to the wrong place. Thanks!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Katherine, you may start a new thread in our studio forum and post your image there. Tell us a bit about: size, paper, brand of OPs, any special techniques used, etc.

Everyone in my family likes my work too (except my wife ).

When you get really brave, join an art association and show your work in their group shows.

Katherine once you do one or two more postings you will be permitted to post an image.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Hal. With no art background to speak of, I doubt I could explain let alone identify any special techniques I may be using! But I will try to remember to describe the materials I use once I start.

Thanks to you and Pat both for the encouragement.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you for the welcomes! I will love to get into the challenges, however whether game to post is another matter! I have been currently looking at the past challenges and the responses, they are some very talented people here that makes it quite daunting.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Kleite, Pat and I will keep critiques in the form of suggestions for improvement.

We oil pastellists are like a cult, we're always trying to draw more acolytes into the fold.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyLane
I've has some success with the grid method and a pencil in order to take a photo I like and make something that actually resembles it. (I don't have a lot of time to practice getting proportions and all of that right and so this has been a wonderful way to get some really good results quickly.) But how can I go from that to an oil pastel "painting"? The pencil gets smudged into the color and I'm not really sure how to make it not just look like I colored it in like a coloring book

I recently did a grid copy of a photograph, and I was very pleased with the result (I used pencils) - I will try to attach a copy of the results to this post, but I am not sure how that works...

I felt that doing a grid copy was as much about model-making as about drawing and painting - it's enormously satisfying, but in a completely different way to freehand sketching

A bit of smudging is to be highly recommended

ps - the attachment didn't work, there was a message about re-sizing the image which made absolutely no sense to me at all
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKrookie
I recently did a grid copy of a photograph, and I was very pleased with the result (I used pencils) - I will try to attach a copy of the results to this post, but I am not sure how that works...

I felt that doing a grid copy was as much about model-making as about drawing and painting - it's enormously satisfying, but in a completely different way to freehand sketching

A bit of smudging is to be highly recommended

ps - the attachment didn't work, there was a message about re-sizing the image which made absolutely no sense to me at all

Hi UKrookie. You're in the Oil Pastel talk forum. If you want to post an image of your art work you need to start a thread of your own in the studio forum. If you are doing pencil drawings they would be in the WC drawing forum and not in the oil pastel forum.

If you are an artist using oil pastels we would be happy to have you show your work in our Oil Pastel Studio Forum.