WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy
Please let me introduce myself

My name Is Joseph Engraver,I am retired from engraving due to eyesite impairments. I would like to show you some of my print plates and some of the prints they produced. Thank you for looking and have A great day.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland
Re: Please let me introduce myself

Absolutely stunning!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Lovely work... I look forward to seeing more of your pieces.

Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Suburbia, Maryland

Hails from United States

Unbelievable! I'm sorry to hear your sight is failing you. What a privledge the world has to enjoy what you have created! Thank-you for sharing.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Greetings and thanks for sharing your artwork
they are all wonderful studies

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum- Beautiful work there!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Thank you all for the nice welcome. most all of my work was done with a burin and a 6x loupe.I cut about a dozen plates over the years (30) Here is more of my work.The portrait of the Setter was done at the engraving school I attended for a years study in Italy.
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Crete, Greece

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Joseph and welcome.

They are all terrific but I particularly like that last engraving, with its unbalanced light and shading in the framing device, so my eye keeps shifting, and that the seagull's wing penetrates the device to free it from the image.

Bravo.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Thank you all for the compliments on my works
I have enjoyed the struggle of learning how to engrave. My changes of eyesight has caused a shift in the creative force that drives us artist. Now I am enjoying the challenges that one confronts when painting a canvas
Here are a couple more that were done more than twenty-five years apart, the first one for my wedding day. The second one is part of the reason for the first. Thank you for looking. If you would like to know more about engraving and what it takes to engrave at the level I achieved I have published a memoir titled A Gifted Man the memoir of an artist, which can be found on most booksellers list.
Remember to walk on the sunny side and have a great day.
Joseph engraver
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM

joseph,
welcome... everyone, joseph is being rather modest and only showing you the stuff he not known for or really even recognized for doing... this is just his art printing plates he's played with a little over the years..... he's best known as being one of the finest firearms engravers in the country. this man can turn an ugly hunk of metal into a work of art. all the years i couldn't afford you and now that i can... curse you for moving to mexico. with their laws, i can't even get down and beg and plead or offer the use of my microscope for you to do my colt like that model 66 smith and wesson with the gold inlayed rose and scroll in your albums.

joseph i think these people for the most part are open minded enough to recognize the art in your firearms engraving if you'd care to post some of your better known work.... art is art regardless of what it's put on and your one of the best.

sorry to hear of your eyesight problems.... "the loupe" so needed for fine engraving but also the very thing that destroys our eyesight.... "6x power" man you have it bad. hate to say it but i'm not that far behind you. i have a friend that found a 20 power goggle type set up and used it several hours everyday for only two years... talk about going blind fast! it did it to him bad. only two years and he was about ready for the white cane and seeing eye dog. curious if you ever tried or used the binocular microscopes. i've used one for about thirty years. it doesn't seem to have as much effect as a loupe but then i don't use it as much as your use but then i will never be in the same class as your work. i'm good but not like you!
best wishes
mike
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Mike,that is nice of you to want to see some of my other engraving works here are a few of my favorites,thank you for asking.
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

My wife Franca found this print while going through old files,I had forgotten it.It is titled the magpie and measures 5x8 cm.Thank you for commenting and have a great day.
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Calgary, AB, CANADA

Hails from Canada

Love that magpie! very nice work

Scott.

Socio-political Printmaker