WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Looking for PR206 in oils

I hope somebody here can help me... In watercolor, PR 206 (Quinacridone Pyrrolidine Red) has become a staple on my palette. They describe it as a maroon or bordeaux red, but it's not; it's really on the warmer side of red, as you can see in the swatch. It is much redder than transparent red oxide or burnt sienna though. Winsor Newton calls this Brown Madder in their watercolor line, but there is no equivalent in their lineup of oil paints. In oils, their Brown Madder is PBR7, an entirely different beast, as you can also see from the swatch.

So, do any of you happen to know a brand and color of PR206 that matches the transparent qualities and characteristics of the Brown Madder in the WN watercolor lineup? (Daniel Smith also makes a similar color in watercolors, but alas they don't make oils.)

Many thanks for your help!

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 01-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from European Union
Re: Looking for PR206 in oils

Hi,
I do not work with watercolours, so I have no idea to what extent to compare them, but I do know PR206 is less common in tubed oils but available as a single pigment oil from Sennelier 699 ("Permanent alizarin crimson deep), Schmincke Mussini 343 ("Wurzelkrappton") and Williamsburg 855 ("Quinacridone brown"). My list is not up to date entirely but maybe you want to check them out. Just check it out for the colour swatches at dickblick to see if it helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Looking for PR206 in oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaikaisCanvas
Hi,
I do not work with watercolours, so I have no idea to what extent to compare them, but I do know PR206 is less common in tubed oils but available as a single pigment oil from Sennelier 699 ("Permanent alizarin crimson deep), Schmincke Mussini 343 ("Wurzelkrappton") and Williamsburg 855 ("Quinacridone brown"). My list is not up to date entirely but maybe you want to check them out. Just check it out for the colour swatches at dickblick to see if it helps.

Many thanks for pointing me in that direction! I got some great input from folks in the oils forum too, for those who want to take a peek.

Jamie