WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt#254 -- Jan 22-30, 2012

Robert: Thanks so much for kind words and your insight to everybody's sketches. I love Ari's sketch. Great one too on the red bkground, feeling like the Oscar red carpet event.

Talia: Super bird. The coin and the metal sharpener are great too.

Joan: Yummy bread. Nice shine on glass bottle. Lovely people

Kivrin: Gorgeous veggie. I love your colors.

Robin: Hi

Jo: Glad you get your horse sculpture back from the fire and in good shape. Fantastic sketch of it.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Irwin hockeydad: Great cannon, both the actual cannon made by your dad and your drawing... that is awesome.. Reminds me of the ones I saw on the USS Constitution/Old Iron Sides... Keep on pumping out the guitars they are super... looks like you take after your father for skills4

newkidontheblock
: Looks like you got the perspective on these, well done... like all your sketches --- like the glass bottle best,, well done

Joan: Your bread is very nice, all your sketches are.... love the figure sketches and the watch on the hand the best...

Jo: Nice sketches particularly like the wood.... reaal nice rendering of the wood texture

Talia: That duck is sweet, love the color... the sketches of the money, pencil and sharpener are super so much detail and form,,, nice!

Kivrin65
: Great job on the radishes... hopefully I get a chance to do the veggies and fruits today

Robert: love your cat he looks great against the red bedding. That red is very nice... really like

Thanks to all for the positive comments...
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
A WC! Legend
france

Hails from United Kingdom

Kivrin - Love yer radishes, beautifully rendered...
Robert - love Ari explodin' from that scarlet cover, he looks like he's in 7th heaven...

managed a multi sketch of several items.
2. - coloured glass, small glass pebble
3. - metal, brass lady bell
4. - wood, curtain ring
5. - string, ball of wool
6. - button
7. - money, old french coin with a hole in that I found in the garden.
8. - watch, pretty pendant one
9. - flower, paper rose in the little flower pot that is a place name holder
10. - animal, small ceramic cat
11. - bottle, another treasure I dug up in the garden
12. - garden related, big snail shell
13. - terracotta, little flower pot on the place name holder
14. - shirt, paper decorative one from an old greetings card
15. - something not sketched before, the ceramic thimble
...25 min sketch, graphite on A4 cart paper...

I loved this little set up so much I just had to have a go again in watercolours. Easier t' see what's what with a bit of colour. Hardly a sketch, it took a couple of hours, but I really enjoyed it. A5 clairefontaine wc paper...

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Jo - Congrats on sketching on the iPhone! Nice job on the fireplace. Have fun in Austin!

Talia - Nice solid look to your ceramic bird! Great job on the detail on the coin. Good shading on the pencil sharpener and the pencil ready to go into it.

Kivrin - I love the painting of the radishes...especially the roots. I've always wanted to paint them, but don't really like them so I don't buy them.

Robert - Air looks so regal surrounded in red!

Kat - How unusual to see a graphite still life with no color from you. Nicely done...BUT it just pops in color!

18 - euro coin - pencil

19 - shirt - inktense pencils and ink
20 - pants

21 - ceramic - watercolors and ink
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi again..outstanding work gang!

Thx for the nice comments..

Ai... looks like you had a great day sketching..thanks so much for posting as you do..I feel at times you are my personal tour guide to so many outstanding sites!
Lyn..awesome quick sketches!...hey your perspective isn"t too bad.my fave is the bottle..very nice!
Joan ..unfortunately I only became interested in shop stuff after my Dad had passed away..I love getting the chance to use some of his tools..magical feeling.. very spiritual....nice work Joan...bread super..eyedrop bottle..seems simple..yet so effective..shirt and pants are fab!
Jo.. good stuff..love the fireplace!!
Talia..nice little ceramic birdy..love..love your sketches!
Kivrin..excellent radishes !!!..how nice to be able to "fit" this little gem around doing errands!
Robert..great job of Ari,,wonderful colour..interesting name...origins? pets are so great..unconditional love..I always remember the story of the woman who locks her boyfriend and dog in the trunk of the car and drives around for 2 hours because she is upset at them.....when she opens the trunk...who is excited and happy to see her...!
Skatty..wonderful,,wonderful watercolour!!both versions...

2 quickies from me..

4. Button...on the Wake Turbulence timer at work...keeps us from taking off a little airplane too close behind a big one..
5. money ..a good old Canadian $20...actually doing not too badly, considering the economy..apologies to her majesty

Thx for looking bye for now
Irwin
She's funny that way.

Last edited by Hockey Dad : 01-27-2012 at 12:33 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Scattykat: Like how you bundle everything together.. you arrange everything so very well..... very nice!

Joan : Very nice like the all your sketches but like the pants and shirt the best...

Irwin: Really enjoy your sketches so much detail and dimension.. very nice.. I have some Candian $$ in my bureau... I use them at the farm stands just going over the border into Montreal... my favorite famr stand is the Reid Farm....

13) Baked goods --- there were two when I started sketching but lost one somewhere banana, chocolate chip muffin
14) Fruit ---- Was on my nephew's counter for his 16 mos to eat... they all actually had little bites missing
15) Flower
16) leaves
17) Bottle of wine
18) bin

All pen and ink except the bin which is pencil
Attached Images

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Joan - that's so fun when your sketches from one event (WWSC) fit the list. Brrr your scenes look chilly. Fun peek into your mug. Love the scoopiness (!!) of your wooden spoon. Thanks. Such a pretty bottle (post 26). Mmmm fortune cookies from Chinese New Year? What's in your blue eye dropper bottle?

Diana - hope to see your sketches soon

Meisi - cool lemon squeezer. I would have no idea how to use it

m50paul - nice sleeping animal on the coutch. Fun face on your bill. Oooh nice iron and ironing board sketch. Great job on the looking-down-3/4-view of your son. Thank you. Love your little one-item-on-a-page-spiral-book sketches like thke wine and the flower pot

Kivrin - oooh - tortillas for supper? I'll be right over

Robin - hello!

Ai - thank you. Love love love your Bangkok sketchers Day Sketches.

Scatty - ooh salad for lunch? Save me a bit? Fun still life (twice!)

Irwin - hello! Thank you. Great cannon and guitar. If you get a lot of mileage out of your guitars for hunts, you can speak with Robert getting a lot of mileage out of Ari for his art Do you work in an air traffic control tower? Have you seen the new plastic money yet?

Lyn - thank you. Great job. Was it fun or difficult to sketch on the lined paper with the lines going the "wrong" way?

Bonnie - thank you

Jo - fun horse sculpture. Nice detail in the woodwork of your fireplace.

Talia - love the glowing ceramic item (bird?)

Robert - thank you. Heeere's Ari!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi everyone. Wonderful sketches from all of you. I've been trying to come to terms with new Gouache paints I received for Xmas so I've been busy experiementing with them on other Forums. I've printed the list and will try to get some done before the time runs out.

Ai - How lovely of Iris to bring you the juice bottle for your birthday! You would be thrilled to received it from her.

Skatty - Wonderful arrangement of objects from the list! I've never managed to get so many together as you do.

Robert - There's Ari on his red blanket looking as beautiful as ever!

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Joan: Great job with the shirt and pants. The ceramic looks like a piece my MIL has. You did a great job on its texture.

Irwin: Thanks. Great sketch of the button and the money. I'm always amazed by your nice contrast sketches.

Kat: Thanks. Fabulous still-life. Lovely in both version, b-w and in wc. So rare to see a ceramic thimble.

Viv: Thanks for stopping by, pls. put those gouache paints on some sketches ;-)

Paul: I don't blame you why two pieces of baking goods are missing before the sketch end. Great result. Nice flower, leave, bottle, and basket too... ready for a fun picnic.

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

#11 having wheels -- ink done in my travel Derwent 4.5x6.5 inch sketchbook, which I really like

#12 sub. for an animal -- Miss Iris in Chinese ink and Coran Dach's wc pencil with some graphite pencil base line, done in my Canson 7x10 inch sketchbook.

Last edited by Eye : 01-28-2012 at 06:25 AM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Irwin - Thanks. Nice that you have some of your dad's tools to work with now that you are interested in working with wood. Nice important button to sketch. lol Good shading and look to your money sketch.

Paul - Thank you. Should we send the police to help find the missing muffin. Nice ink sketches. I love the variety of fruit on the display plate and the texture on your basket.

EP - Thanks. The blue eye dropper bottle contains anti-wrinkle serum. I don't think it's working too well...or maybe it is too late. It works best as an item for the hunt.

Viv - Hope you get to join in soon. Try your guache paints here.

Ai - Thank you. What a complicated wheeled subject. Obviously they didn't put drops in your eyes that distorted your vision. Nice sketch of Iris...I like the combination of materials.

22 - animal - inktense pencils and ink

23 - heat (a lighter) - ink

24 - fruit - watercolors and ink
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Robert- Thanks. Nice sketch of Ari
Ai- thanks. Nice eye check-up machine. Love the portrait of Iris
Paul- Thank you. I like your bin, bottle and fruit. Nice muffin, flowers and leaves
Scatty- Thank you. Love it that you did the same scene in pencil and in watercolor. Great job, Love the watercolor
Joan- Thanks. I have long wanted to paint radishes. I recently found that I rather like them. Love the ceramic piece. Nice shirt, pants and coin. Love the frog. Nice lighter and orange
Irwin- Thanks. Love the wake turbulence timer. Nice $20
EP- Hi!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

4. fruit, pencil, 3x3.5 inches
5.wooden bowl
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Other Washington

Hails from United States

At last I'm posting something - only one thing, but oh well - before the absolute last moments of the hunt!

1. Vegetable...
This is a painting of a delicata squash (a winter squash) that I grew this past season. It's a lot smaller than the ones I've grown in the past because it was a horrible growing season with a lot of rain and gray skies. I seem to be painting a lot of vegetables and other edibles, which I suppose is because I'm a gardener too, and find them very beautiful. It's a 6x8 on canvas paper (actually, I think it's real primed canvas in a pad format). As always, I struggled with this and probably should have quit before I did. (maybe painting is just like that???) I'm thinking I may try to mount some of these little veggie paintings on board, so I can frame them and hang them in my kitchen.

I plan to roast this squash and have it for dinner.

First, here's a photo of the actual squash:

Here's a photo of the actual squash (can you see why I found this pretty tricky?):

Sorry, the photo of the painting isn't that good - there's a glare and not the best focus, I'm afraid. And, the painting actually looks better when you're not super close, as I was when I took the photo. Is there some set distance that an artist should keep in mind while working as the best view for the finished painting?

I'll be back to comment on other's work...

Last edited by AnnieA : 01-28-2012 at 04:03 PM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Other Washington

Hails from United States

I've felt so bad that I haven't had time to comment on everybody's work in the last few hunts that I've participated in. And my fly-by postings spoil half of my fun on the hunt! But as I don't have internet at home, by the time I sit down and look through the thread, there are often several pages of sketches, and it's just a very daunting task to try to comment on all of them. So, I've decided that when I have something to post, what I'm going to do is to comment only on the last page of sketches. That way I get to comment, but don't get overwhelmed with the volume of sketches. I hope everyone understands...

Kivrin: Lovely radish sketches! I love the composition and the way the roots have been so gracefully arranged to become such an important part of it. Beautiful color too.

Robert: Wonderful kitty sketch. I love the delightful pose of the cat - you captured it very well - they know how to stretch out in such a luxurious way and always in the most comfy spot in the house!

Kat: What a charming still life set up! It's very nice in pencil, but something special in watercolor. Did you do really the cross-hatching of the shirt in wc? You've got a steady hand, girl!

Joan: Interesting on the Euro coin in that it says "Espana"...do each of the countries mint coins with the country name on them? I've never really thought about how it works. Nice job on the pants and shirt - they really have a denim-y look. The color on the ceramic is very nice - what is the function of the object and where does it come from. It looks something like some things I have from Peru.

Irwin: Hello and nice to meet you. I like your handling of values in your sketches, and the loose style is very nice as well - just the right amount of detail. Good job!

m50paul: Hi and nice to meet you as well. I like the subtle colors in the sketch of the (lonely) muffin - well, in all your sketches actually. The fruit is my favorite, I think. It looks fast and loose, but nicely done.

Vivian: Have fun with the gouache - it's always so fun to play with a new medium. Hope to see some gouache sketches from you soon...

Ai: Great job on the optomitrist's stand - nice line work and values. Very dramatic-looking sketch of Iris.

Joan: Awww, cute little frog. Nicely rendered lighter and beautiful color and texture on the fruit.

Kivrin: Nice job on the bananas in the wooden bowl - I like the soft quality of the pencil work.

Many thanks, Ai, for a fun list! Great job everyone who I did not have time to respond to!