WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 AM

The Meeting Place

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Meeting Place
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I composed this painting from two photos. When I look at it I feel as though something is wrong. Can you help? PLEASE POST IN STRUCTURED CRITQUES

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Looking for comments on composition, colour and technique. Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: The Meeting Place

I love this piece, it is really charming! the only thing that I feel doesn't quite work is the shadow from the back left building doesn't match the shadow from the girl in the background. In other words the light source may be a bit off. Otherwise, I love the colours and the spirit, especially the main girl in red and white. delightful in my opinion. =)) Debs.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your very positive comment Debs. Looking again at the shadow in the background I notice that there is certainly room for improvement. Thanks for noticing it. Abo
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM

There is a lot of movement and pleasing colors in this piece. You have a variety of interesting shapes for the eyes to travel around and look at within the painting.

The central figure pulls me into the painting and makes me wonder where she is going and who are the people with her.

The perspective of the door may be off but that doesn't bother me a bit.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Northern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Abo, I love the bright colours in this, the background looks great to me and the composition is good.

The girl coming into this scene from the left has a bent knee, but her foot is on the ground. For the foot to be on the ground in front of her, her knee shouldn't be bent.

The center woman is beautifully done from the waist up, (I love the white shirt and red bandana) but she has a huge running stride that doesn't match her upright body position. IMO, her legs are too far apart.

(PS, I tried to upload a photo I touched up, showing the lines of the outlines their legs, but it wouldn't load)

I think if you work on their legs and foot placement, the scene will be excellent.
Ann

http://annsnaturepaintings.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayPainter331
There is a lot of movement and pleasing colors in this piece. You have a variety of interesting shapes for the eyes to travel around and look at within the painting.

The central figure pulls me into the painting and makes me wonder where she is going and who are the people with her.

The perspective of the door may be off but that doesn't bother me a bit.

Thanks for the positive comments Sunday Painter Abo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann
Hi Abo, I love the bright colours in this, the background looks great to me and the composition is good.

The girl coming into this scene from the left has a bent knee, but her foot is on the ground. For the foot to be on the ground in front of her, her knee shouldn't be bent.

The center woman is beautifully done from the waist up, (I love the white shirt and red bandana) but she has a huge running stride that doesn't match her upright body position. IMO, her legs are too far apart.

(PS, I tried to upload a photo I touched up, showing the lines of the outlines their legs, but it wouldn't load)

I think if you work on their legs and foot placement, the scene will be excellent.
Ann
Thanks for the reply Gouligann. You have made me aware of that which I could not see. Yes the drawing is incorrect on both counts and I will try to correct it. Thanks again. Abo
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I love the feeling of mystery as to WHY??? are she and the children running(?) into the building. Their placement seems right.

Composition seems a bit off: the building angles send my eyes up and to the left- almost at the small figure in the back. If the left/back building was changed, perhaps closer, then it would stop my eye.

The value of the shirts/blouses on the two youg'uns following her is dull in comparison to her white/red outfit. If you brightened up their clothing where the bright tropical sun is hitting the fabric (top shoulders/backs) it might bring them 'into the family'.

A horizon line is not implied, the shy is so warm that the eye is not given a reference line. Just a bit of a cool shade of blue would anchor the sky to the land.

Overall I find this to be a very enjoyable painting. All my opinions are strictly meant to help, not to insult, I think you are way too good a painter for me to even be criticizing.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye,

Greg
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the comments Greg. I originally kept the colours of the smaller figures down to keep the emphasis on the main girl. However i do agree the the small er figures need some more intensity. Cheers abo
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Reno, Nevada USA

Hails from United States

Very nice start to your painting. It has a very pleasing feel to it in both color and general arrangement. There are a few things I noticed that you might also consider in your revisions.

The left hand figure is cropped almost in half coming into the image. Once the work is framed, there will be even less of the child.

Your perspective is pretty good overall, well done. The only two areas that are off are the far left building's roof-line and the interior thick upper door jamb.

The door appears to be off its hinges because of the slight angle to the edge.

One thing to be on the lookout for are the dreaded tangents. These are shapes that touch thus reducing the depth or confusing the eye. You want to make things overlap enough to look deliberate, keeping tangents at a minimum. The main figure's hair comes to a tangent with the wall edge of the building. So does her right hand with the back line of her dress. The front of her dress has a tangent with the lower line of the building edge and doorway.

These observations are meant to enhance your already lovely efforts.

Happy painting,

David

Last edited by DMcCamant : 01-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised I'll be the first to say: The half-figure? in the doorway doesn't read well. I know it's supposed to be a person walking in the door, but even knowing that I struggle to see it. It needs definition - contrast.

If it were me I'd make the figure in shadow so that it is different than the other figures outside.

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCamant

Very nice start to your painting. It has a very pleasing feel to it in both color and general arrangement. There are a few things I noticed that you might also consider in your revisions.

The left hand figure is cropped almost in half coming into the image. Once the work is framed, there will be even less of the child.

Your perspective is pretty good overall, well done. The only two areas that are off are the far left building's roof-line and the interior thick upper door jamb.

The door appears to be off its hinges because of the slight angle to the edge.

One thing to be on the lookout for are the dreaded tangents. These are shapes that touch thus reducing the depth or confusing the eye. You want to make things overlap enough to look deliberate, keeping tangents at a minimum. The main figure's hair comes to a tangent with the wall edge of the building. So does her right hand with the back line of her dress. The front of her dress has a tangent with the lower line of the building edge and doorway.

These observations are meant to enhance your already lovely efforts.

Happy painting,

David

Thankyou for your positive comments David. I need to pay more attention to the perspective as it's not my strong point. Your information regarding "tangents" is excellent. I'd never really thought about them. Thanks for teaching me something that I won't forget. Abo
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the comment Sharkbarf. I agree that the figure is confusing and needs revision. Actually, I have heard this comment before from another source. You're dead right! Abo