WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Florida

Hails from United States
Boatsie's Little Sketchbook

(My original "Little Sketchbook" thread went "missing in action" during the last update. So I'm going to give this another shot. I thank everyone who was so generous with their encouraging comments on my first 2 sketches.)

This is my very first sketchbook and my very first attempt at sketching "in public." As a novice, I decided to start small so I wouldn't be so conspicuous (and so I wouldn't make BIG mistakes ). My sketchbook is a Strathmore Visual Journal, 3.5" x 5", Mixed Media. I use pencils, Micron pens, a Koi Watercolor Field Kit and Derwent Watercolor Pencils.

I draw my inspiration from artists such as Danny Gregory; Tommy Kane; Butch Belair; Thomas Thorspecken; our very own Joan T; and all the other wonderful "in public" sketchbook artists who post here on Wet Canvas' Art Journal thread.

Here is the first two sketches that were "lost" and a new addition:

This first sketch is a graphite sketch of a couple enjoying each other's company at a McDonald's McCafe:

We sat behind this couple at the Veteran's Hospital Cafeteria...and, of course, the ever-present CNN was playing on the TV:

I did this sketch from my car (shout-out to Joan T! ) at a playground area in the middle of an outdoor shopping plaza. Although it was January, the temperature was 72-degrees (a bit unusual even for Northern Florida) and the kids were having a great time playing on the slide!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Boatsie's Little Sketchbook

If you didn't mention the size, I would have never guessed based on the sketches that your sketchbook was that small! Love all the detail that you've captured in such a tiny space.

Don't you just love small sketchbooks? So easy to take along anywhere and work on. By the way, you and I have similar tastes in materials.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
New England

Hails from United States

good good sketches. I esp like the playground. Keep it up. Looking forward to more.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Aw. I'm so sorry you lost your thread, but thanks for starting a new one.

Your drawings are really great, and I admire the way you capture so much detail in each scene.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I just sent you a message asking you to repost this...and here it is as if by magic! These are great!!! Wonderful detail in a very small space. You can now be as covert as I am. lol When I first started sketching in public I kept the sketchbook in my lap sort of hidden so nobody would notice...(and very few people did). Now I don't hide at all. Last night we were sketching in a bowling alley and a woman came over and said that if she was going to be one of our models could we please make her a bit more curvy and busty. lol
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

what great sketches! I'm glad you reposted. . . I had seen only the first one before the other thread heading for the hills. They are all well done, but the second one is my favorite, it so has that hospital feel to it but the couple are adorable, love the hair. well done on the playground.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Florida

Hails from United States

My humble thanks to all who viewed and those who took the time to leave lovely and much appreciated comments.

Rain24: I like this little sketchbook, so easy to "hide" what I'm doing and the mixed media paper takes a watercolor wash much better than I expected.

Pezk: Sketching the playground from the car was enjoyable, the kids were having a great time, as was I.

Rgb: I like the challenge of putting in the details although I don't include them all--it amazes me of how many details are out there in the world that I've never noticed before.

JoanT: Thanks for stopping by! I can image folks would be flattered "starring" in one of your paintings...I'm not at that stage yet; my subjects might call their lawyers and slap a defamation of character suit on me

Rainysea: Thanks for revisiting my new thread! The couple at the VA Cafeteria were great models--they seldom moved ....and it was a lot more fun drawing than watching continuous reports on the Republican Party Iowa Caucus on CNN!

Here's a sketch I did tonight at the Baptist Community Center basketball court...the place was full of little kids and I had to dodge a basketball or two that came flying in my direction....talk about sacrificing for one's art!!

Last edited by BOATSIE : 01-13-2012 at 03:07 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast
Hamburg

Hails from Germany

I love the bright colours you use and you're getting a lot of details into such small sketches.

Ook, said the Librarian.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Wow, great set of people sketches! I think you should put the term novice in quotes, as your people are well done, especially the ones with motion. I still struggle with people who are paid to sit still for a pose...!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Janet, you have a great eye for the placement of things with size and proportion. Love the basketball scene! Your use of color is excellent.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Oh, I love the detail in this one...and the action!!! Nice color in this. You are really getting the hang of this!!! You go girl!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I commented on your missing thread. And, I've been having problems getting to things. Boy did I miss a bunch. You are doing a fantastic job on these sketches of people in activities. The one shooting a basket with the follow through hand is awesome.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Janet these are all way too much fun especially in such a small format. Rock on with your pens and paints.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Florida

Hails from United States

Hi all Thanks for viewing and commenting...it really means a lot.

Book Scorpion: I like using all the colors in my Koi kit if possible; I don't know a lot about mixing colors yet--lots to learn, lots more colors to try. The problem with details is to know when to stop looking.

JTMB: I have been wanting to do people since I started to draw and have been practicing--if I'm lucky they come out, other times they don't. I haven't worked on live models yet--trying to get my husband to pose (not likely).

rgb: Thanks for the encouraging words. As I said before, I'm still trying to find my way around colors...I am in awe of those folks who can mix up a zillion colors just using the primaries.

JoanT: Thanks for the cheer and thanks for being such an inspiration.

DrDebby: I saw your comments on my old thread--thanks; and thanks for posting comments here. Painting "activities" is a great reason to get out of the house and look at the familiar stuff with a different eye.

Poochemio: (Great name, by the way) Since my first (and current) artistic endeavors were doing ATCs, I feel comfortable with this little book (as long as the eyes hold up) and its pretty cost effective too.

Here is my next drawing. It was drawn on the fishing pier near my house which is on the mainland across the bridge (that's not my house on the water though, although I wished it was). There is a bar & grill at the pier and a pretty decent singer was rocking the house...it was nice listening to the music while I sketched. The seagull was there when I first started--he was the reason I chose the spot. He stayed long enough for me to get a quick outline and then took off. Since it's a 3-day holiday weekend, there are more tourists than usual for this time of year. The temps were in the 60s and there were even a few hardy souls who went swimming in the Gulf (of Mexico) Brrrrrrr!!!

Last edited by BOATSIE : 01-16-2012 at 07:33 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Janet, your sketches are lovely. The colors are bright and full of life and your subject matter is wonderful. The seagull really stands out in the last one and appears to be posing just for you, lol. I'm glad you're reposting this thread as I look forward to seeing more.