WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Question Question about Signatures

Hi,

I wasn't sure which folder to post this under, so excuse me if this isn't the best one.

I have a question about signatures and keeping them the same in all your paintings. I don't have a fancy sig, just my name in caps. But sometimes I will sign as J SMITH and sometimes as JANE SMITH. I only noticed that recently. I am slightly worried it might be a big deal. I have sold some works already, so I can't just go back and change them. I think it's better to keep an eye on it from now on, but that it isn't that serious? What do you think?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Harrisburg, PA

Re: Question about Signatures

I have a friend that's a gallery owner and she said that it's best to sign the same on every painting (and also always sign them, which I am very bad at remembering ).

I think it helps to brand your work so that even if you progress to diffrent styles fans can still track you. Or maybe I'm overthinking.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
North Texas

Hails from United States

I agree, I think an artist should always sign paintings the same way. I also put the year the painting was completed and often the copyright symbol. This may not be correct, and I have heard the objection for putting the year on the painting is viewers would wonder why the piece has not sold yet, for instance if the painting is 2 years old.....a bit ridiculous I think.
If an artist submits pieces to juried shows, a year it was painted is always wise. Many juried shows accept only works completed within the last 2 years.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

I sign my art (both fully completed works and sketches) with RAZ in the same letter style, but often I add something to it. It can be a small symbol/scribble/whatever but the main sig is always the same.

What I'm getting at is, that even with a thing like signatures there should be room to play and be creative.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

I sign studies and small works in pencil with a signature before varnishing.
With finished pieces I sign in paint, with my full name. I never date the work, as some works travel to different galleries and old dated paintings would not be wanted by galleries except in a retrospective show.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Eastern Washington State

It's entirely a personal preference. I've worked with gallery owners who have wanted the painting signed yet others who insisted that the artist not sign their work.

Some artists sign the front of their work while others sign the back.

Sometimes I sign my work and other times I don't. I'll usually sign my paintings because to me it signifies the painting is finished. I like to sign my drawings but have had requests not to do so.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jderek
Sometimes I sign my work and other times I don't. I'll usually sign my paintings because to me it signifies the painting is finished. I like to sign my drawings but have had requests not to do so.

I was taught (many years ago) that if it is good enough to show, the work is good enough to be owned and until it's signed it's not owned. If you are proud of your work, sign it. (Though I must admit occasionally one goes of to a show and I have to go in and sign it later because I have forgotten to... )

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

For me art is about expanding consciousness and breaking down my own mental barriers. I always explore and try new techniques/styles to further my understanding of painting. So my signature changes as I grow. I never sign until the signature has been practiced throughly on scrape paper first. Once decided on, to go with the overall mood, I put it very small and in a color that is only slightly subtly different than the background color.

Here's some styles I use:
Computer font
Cursive
Childlike scribble
Calligraphy
Graffiti
Sign it in a made up alias (like Shark Barf)

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Taylor, Michigan USA

Hails from United States

I sign in with my first initial and last name. I use roman numerals for the date because of what I have read on this site so many times about how it makes works seem old when you see an older dated painting. So far the date thing is working as long as the string of numbers does not get out of hand...but the roman numerals tells me when I did it and will tell others but they have to think about it a bit
I try to keep the signature the same though, future art buyers/critics/lookers can know who did it and with a little thought when...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/tusitalo/portfolio
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

I can follow that. I have made many sketches and paintings along the way I didn't bother to sign for the reason I didn't think they were worth it.

My mom, bless her soul, have often critizized me for not signing everything I draw and and paint. She thinks everything I make is pure genius, but then again moms are the most lenient critics in existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Long
I was taught (many years ago) that if it is good enough to show, the work is good enough to be owned and until it's signed it's not owned. If you are proud of your work, sign it. (Though I must admit occasionally one goes of to a show and I have to go in and sign it later because I have forgotten to... )

Last edited by Razzar : 01-31-2012 at 08:27 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Here's some more ways to sign your work:

Invisible ink

Stab a hole through your painting and the signature is the kinetic motion

Black light sensitive paint (only visible in UV)

Da Vinci (Upside down and backwards)

Use a famous painters name

Put a thick layer on and then use the end of a brush to scratch your name in.

Sign it "Shark Barf" - Put the blame on me

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford

Last edited by sharkbarf : 02-01-2012 at 12:02 AM.