WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy
Some of my sculpting works

I am Joseph, which is my full name. I have made my living creating and selling my skills and art for thirty years.
I am a man who owns his time; I am also 73 years old this month.I live on a beautiful beach in S Mexico with my wife who is a chef.
I was once a master firearms engraver working in the USA and Italy where I was schooled.Sculpting has been a very interesting journey it the world of tri dimensional depiction. Here are two of my pieces. One is 30inches tall and the other is 3x8 inches. The girl was first done in clay and then cast by a local foundry. The other is a casting of my engraving work on an antique rifle, with scenes from C. Russell and F. Remington.
I hope that you find them interesting.
Thank you for looking and have a great day
Joseph Engraver
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Re: Some of my sculpting works

Wahoo! Beautiful work I love the composition idea of just the horses head and the girl holding the apple and petty the horse so closely. Very wonderful.

The rifle engraving work is excellent as well. So much detail, love the swirls!

Glad you are here. What are your aspirations for your art at this point? To sell in galleries or shows or just for your own personal pleasure with some to give as gifts to others?

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Joseph, If you were here in North Carolina, You would have every rifle I own at your house and a full time job engraving. That is fantastic.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Lovely work, Joseph! I once had to judge an art show where some of the entries were engraved rifles. I was amazed at the beautiful work the engravers did, and the amount of decoration they put around the scenes they were depicting. It's a beautiful craft, and you do it well.

Welcome to WetCanvas! We're glad you're here!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
indy

Hails from United States

Amazing work, Joseph... very high quality and so much detail.

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Thank you all for the compliments.Engraving has been my passion for many years,however those days are past me now,due to a mild stroke that has affected my once eagle eyed vision.
I am spending my time now painting with oil on canvas.Sculpting was more a way of taking a break from the hours of concentrated effort that fine engraving takes.
Here are a couple more pieces from the past.The bronze is titled the Lion's Game, the coin is one that has a story to go with it.
The Virgin of Guadalupe
The engraving of this coin was a new experience for me. As an engraver I have the skills needed to do this work. They have taken years of dedicated practice. As an artist I need something more than a figure to copy on to metal. The painting that I used to derive my coin is of a very serine maiden standing in front of a glowing palm leaf. She is dressed in a jade green hooded robe that has luminescent spots on it. My paint brush is steel and my pallet is limited to what colors that can be coaxed from the light that passes across the coins surface.
To give the illusion of depth I must remove metal here and there. To give strength to the figure I must exaggerate some lines and weaken others to show space. I laid out the coin and the corresponding tracing of the Virgin. Then drew the shapes and line on the coin then cut away the nonrelated background, leveled and cleaned up those surfaces, then refined the drawing on the coin. At this point my mind could not visualize what this iconic girl would have looked like. Surely she could not look like the pale anemic face and slim bodied girl that I saw in the cheap reproduction print I had bought as a study from a tourist’s stand in Petlatan, Mexico.
I have engraved many portraits in my life. None have ever tested my skills like the Virgin of Guadalupe. At my first attempt, I threw the coin way in frustration and disgust. Then I redrew her once more on a fresh coin, and left her alone for a while.
I thought of her for several days while making up my mind if it was better to forget the idea and do something that did not rub against my personal religious beliefs.
I returned to my studio, ready to work and convinced that the only way I could see her, was to entice her to appear.
How could I do her portrait if she was invisible to me?
In order to help the situation I first asked her permission, and was immediately denied it. Her valid reason was that I did not believe, respect, or have any idea of her power; also I swore, drank, was unfaithful, lied, cheated, gambled and was an unclean person. And further more, I smelled bad... I was in her opinion unfit. How could I solve this dilemma? I explained to her from that minute on I did believe in her. For to think otherwise made me a lunatic. I then apologized for past errors in life. Still she would not consent and show me her face.
I redrew her figure for the fourth time .leaving space where her portrait was to be. I worked on the banana leaf until it was finished. I then started engraving her robe with its glowing lights.
Meanwhile I kept persisting that even though she felt nothing but disgust at the touch of my hands, I truly had come to respect her.
I asked” If you pity the millions of Mexicans that are no better than this wander. Could you not do the same for me?” and “What about the tattoo artists in prison for rape murder and every other crime thinkable. Had she not revealed her beauty to them?” She did not answer me.
I finished her robe and began to draw her hands. “Those are not my hands” I heard her voice inside my head say “I am Indio, I am strong, my hands were meant to raise corn, and my shoulders do not slump, my body is made to carry heavy water jugs.”.
“What do you look like?” I wondered. “I shall not show you because you intend to profit by selling your coin when it is done. Do you not?” I answered, “I am a man who holds material possessions to be of small value. My life’s work is to make beautiful things, then I sell them to people who see that beauty, and you are part of that beauty. But, if it pleases you, I will keep this coin and not sell it.”
It was only then that she revealed her face to me.
Next to the backcountry road there grows a Parrota Tree. Its huge trunk is scarred by barbed wire and its branches cast a cool shadow over a small shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe.
I was told, “If you stop and look you will see the outline of the Virgin growing within the trees bark.”
I stopped there one day out of curiosity to look at the figure that had caused such a stir here in the fishing village where I live. As I stood in front of this simple place I felt the presence of a purity and kindness the made me stand in the belief of Her of Holiness.
It was then that I recalled my promises to the Virgin to never sell the coin I had engraved.
My wife Franca has been tutoring a Campesino’s daughter for six years now and her thirteenth birthday was that very next day. I knelt before the shrine and vowed to give the girl the coin. Which I have done, my promise has been kept.
Thank you all for reading and looking.

Joseph Engraver, Zihuatanejo Mexico
Attached Images

Last edited by josephxengraver : 12-31-2011 at 01:19 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

What a lovely story, and what lovely work! I love the bronze too. Thanks so much for sharing!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Wow, Very Nice Work
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Scouseland

Hails from United Kingdom

Lovely work

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Thank you,I enjoy sharing my work;here are a couple more,the wood sculpture was inside a piece of drift wood I dragged home. The bronze is called Puppy Love
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM

And we enjoy seeing them! So keep posting please.

Drift wood is always fun. Funny how some people will find treasure in something others would pass over or throw away. So you found a hand in the drift wood. What is the square in the hand? Curious.

I love the sentiment and mood of Puppy Love. Something about the feebleness of the older gentlemen, with slippers, playing with his puppies- a simple pleasurable moment. I love how he's holding the one and he's licking him and the other is ready to be petted too.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Nice! I've always wished I lived where I could find driftwood - I think it would be fun to carve, and if it's juniper, as a lot of it in the west is, the color is just beautiful! Love the sentiment in the puppy piece - sweet! I figured the square in the hand was a tiny little present - like a small pair of earrings. This looks like a man's hand to me, so I think he's about to close his hand on the box so he can surprise his girlfriend with it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

There was a knot hole where it did not belong,after some thought I decided that a wooden spike was needed to complete the work.
As for the old man, that is me holding my daughter,my son is the one with the pile of ,,,, behind him
I will try and find photos of more works.Thank you kindly
Joseph engraver
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Your children are puppies??? LOL that's a cute way to portray them. And the pile of , , , - when our daughter was little, every time she drew a horse, it had ,,, dropping down from under its tail. Took her a few years to stop drawing them that way, LOL
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Århus

Hails from Denmark

The rifle engravings are fantastic. Great scenes and attention to detail. Welcome to WC!

http://www.artallison.com/