WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt #251: (Dec 29 - Jan 6)

LateDrawer: Welcome to the Hunt. Your sketches are cool as well. Pls. post more.

Joan: Thanks. I love the dog and the window scene. The fishing harbor scene is gorgeous.

Robin: Thanks.

Kat: Thanks. Your group sketches are lovely.

Kivrin: Thanks. Wonderful the still-life. Fruits are gorgeous and the towel texture is perfect.

I went out to downtown Bangkok to join BangkokSketchers for some sketching today, and later I met up with Iris & Tone for lunch.

#2 View out a window -- this is a view from BTS skytrain. I was sketching from the station on ground level. For Thai-Chinese, 2012 will be the dragon year. So it is good to sketch some dragons on the roof of Chinese shrine. Done with a brown Stabilo pen, local wc pencils, and some wc.

#3 snack -- actually it was our lunch at the restaurant called Pizza Pizza

#4 oval --a stone front slab of the pizza wood burning oven

#6 texture -- the front windows of building on the left
#7 sky-line-- the front view of the CentralWorld shopping mall that we had lunch.

Here are the real scenes.

We are only a few hours away from turning to 2012. Happy New Year 2012 everyone !!!

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 12-31-2011 at 09:15 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Happy New Year to All!!!

Hi jacqui, robin

Jo - Thanks for the list. and first one out of the box! Nice view, wooden fruit and lamp shade.

EP - like all the sketches but agree with you 'd' is my fav too

Ai - Great Store front!! Nice work on plein air sketches. Is that Tone at counter in Pizza place?

Joan - the dog is excellent...can see the curly fur. View, corner on ferry, tree stand are all great....but the harbor scene is my fav. Excellent

Carole - Welcome!! Be warned the hunt is addictive. I started out in D&S classes here as well. Great job on the Dawn bottle. I always find print intimidating. You did excellent. I like the hatch shading on the lamp shade,

Kivrin - Wow! not sure what else to say. Great still life. Love the shading.

Scatty - What goes on.....everyone is posting such gorgeous finished work! Excellent!

Well I am hesitant to post my sketches today. I tried to literally sketch and not draw and shade as I normally would. So my efforts look quite primitive ...and today everyone is posting works that look like they are ready to be framed!!

#1 lamp shade 3 min
#2 smooth - my cell phone faceplate 2 min
#3 square - wooden tray of coasters 3 min
#4 rug 5 min

These are on one page in 8.5x 5.5 in sketch book using HB .7mm mechanical pencil

Joe

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Robin - Thank you.

Carole - Welcome!! You will find that sketching here really helps your skills (which look good from your posts). Your shading is well done on both. Feel free to experiment with different media and techniques here if you want.

Kivrin - Thanks! Your still life fits in well. Nice draping on the cloth!!! Good texture on the oranges and smooth shiny look to the tomatoes!

Kat - Thanks so much! Great collection of items for the still life. Nice shading on all. You always have such interesting objects.

Ai - Happy New Year! Excellent sketch from the skytrain. That's such an interesting building. I like your sketches much better than the real photos. Cute sketches at the pizza place.

I did one sketch for the still life challenge.
6 - smooth stone - watercolors and ink
7 - textured shell
8 - oval egg
9 - canned food
10 - draped cloth

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!! Many thanks for all the wonderful artwork you've shared this year and all the support you've given me. You guys are the best!!! Have a healthy, happy, artistic 2012 filled with love, peace, and joy!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Joe - Thank you. You snuck in while I was posting. Good sketches! They are fun to see. I enjoy seeing these little touches of everyone's homes and the ordinary and unusual treasures some of us have.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Hails from United States

Kirvin65 and Scattykit One day I want to give colored pencils a try, but your drawings are a great inspiration to give that medium a try!

Below is #3 egg carton, #4 oval, and maybe #5 a group of (more than) 5 objects. This took more than an hour using an HB pencil. I was really trying for the "feel" of the eggs resting in the carton.

After I scanned the drawing, I noticed some proportion problems which I tried to fix. But the forward edge of the carton still doesn't seem quite right. This was an interesting drawing challenge I think I'll try again. Thank you for the idea, Jo.
Happy New Year everyone! Carole
Name:  WC scavenger 251 egg carton oval.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  119.8 KB
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Jacqui, sorry for being so slow today. Our son came out and helped us with some moving, then we had dinner then our neighbor shot of fireworks so we have been out on the porch watching the show! Lovely day today here. Anyway, for challenge #2, just do an opposite .. like store front and then the back of the store. Or rug and then a smooth floor. Whatever you consider to be the opposite. Some have none I suppose. :-)

Awwww, EP, how cute are your little animal.

Ai, your store front is spectacular! Hope you sketch more and have a Happy New Year. We still have 3 hours or so until the New Year. Your sketches have taken a step forward, too. Lovely. Thanks for the photos. Fun to see your world.

Joan, your on the spot sketches are getting better and better. I am always amazed. The view, animal, corner, well, all of them are just super. I see cards and paintings and more. I hope you frame some of them. The challenge selection is fun. Love that it is blue! Happy New Year, too.

Hi, Robin. Hope your sketching is in progress.

Hi, Carole! Welcome to the Hunts!! My suggestion is to sketch away and have fun. For me sketching is homework and this is the place I feel most welcome and find fun things to sketch. It is great to see all the places around the world and the everyday things for each of us. I really like your "Dawn" well done and your ellipses on the lamp are super fine. Great job on the egg carton. I always find eggs a challenge which we get every once in a while.

Hi Kivrin! Your collection on the towels is amazing. I love the texture on the clementines and the red tomatoes. Just great! Nice challenge!

Hi, Scatty. Looking forward to your sketches. It is so aggravating to comment and lose it all. I think I should do it on a text program and copy and paste and then get too lazy to do that. And then, you sketch appears. Very nice challenge, love the magnet and it is red too boot! Cute little animal! Great sketching.

Joe, delightful sketches. I agree that sometimes the work here is very "finished". I'm always surprised at the quality of work, too. I love the lamp shade and the rug. Nice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!! We have had the most wonderful holidays! We have the new house, time with the kids, good food, love, rain and now sunshine!

We went to get one of those electric fireplaces to put our big new tv on in the living room. The floor models were on sale for half price so we got another for the bedroom. Fun to watch the faux flames and then the heater works if you need it. Thank you all for the wonderful year we have had. This forum always keeps me sketching and in touch with the world. Hugs all around!!
Winston Churchill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Wonderful sketches from all of you!
Thanks for the list Jo - will try to get some done this time.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Thanks everyone for kind words. Great sketches so far, all of them. I can't type much, my left thumb hurts.

#8 bridge -- a car u-turn bridge. I was sketching while walking across pedestrian bridge, ink about 10 min.

The next was my 2012 new year resolution mind-map, done in another 11x11 inch sketchbook.

#9 smooth -- tomato
#10 canned food -- Quaker oatmeal

#11 bike shoes

#12 comfy -- a cup of tea & looking at flowers
#13 square -- a journal book

#14 corner -- of our piano

#15 in a drawer - my paint brushes and paint tubes
#16 from a closet -- more shoes, shoe polishing jar, ironing board

Last edited by Eye : 01-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Jo - Thanks for Hosting. Great view and good texture piece. Happy new year.

Ep - Awwwww! My favorite is the same as yours. Blossom often looks like that one. Happy new year Ep.

Ai - Great Japanese Restaurant watercolor. I love all your out and about sketches - they're always wonderful. Thanks for including the photos. Great mind map. Happy new year to you and your family Ai.

Joan - Wonderful watercolor sketches - all of them! Love the little "exhausted dog" and Christmas Cove. Beautiful blue still life. Happy new year Joan.

Latedrawer/Carole - Welcome to the Hunts! You've made a great job of both items and have achieved a real 3dimensional look to the lamp - well done.
Good sketching on the eggs and carton. You've got the eggs sitting down nicely into the carton and it looks ok to me. Just enjoy your sketching. You're making a nice job of it and you'll be surprised at how quickly you will improve through sketching from life. Happy new year to you.

Kivrin - Beautiful still life! Great job on putting 5 Hunt items together. Happy new year.

Skatty - I like your choices for the 5 items together - it's a lovely still life arrangement. Happy new year.

Joe - Your sketches look good. I think you've sketched my cellphone. Happy new year.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

#1 corner
#2 rug
#3 square
#4 oval
#5 view out a window
#6 comfy

#7 smooth
#8 shoe
#9 draped cloth
#10 animal
#11 snack
#12 from the fridge

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
Jo
- nice look out the window and cool wooden fruit, have you got all moved into your new place?
EP. oooohhh lovely puppy in various poses!
Ai, wonderful storefront! great to have a 4 day holiday, I did extend mine to 4 days as well by taking one extra day over the weekend, wonderful set of scene sketches,, especially love the dragon on the roof .
that is a cool bridge, and what a wonderful resolution sketchbook! fabulous stuff!
Joan, what a wonderful collection of little paintings, I love the little dog and the Christmas storefront. the still life challenge is a beuaty, with the draped cloth
welcome to the hunt Carole, great detail on the bottle and fab. job on the lamp. what a great challenge drawing with all the eggs in the carton
WOW Kivrin, what a delightful still life, great job on the veggies and draped cloth
Kat, another wonderful collection for a still life! Love it!
Joe - great start to a new year with shade, rug, smooth and square
J: another great collection, glad to see penny again and cute doggy toy, nice view from your window, corner , rug and other little sketches

this is what I did yesterday, today I spend reclaiming my library (which has become a catch all over the christmas season) and UN-decorating, AND getting the last 3 yrs worth of photos into an album! so no sketching today, but did 10 of them yesterday

1- square dishes with
2- cheese and cracker snacks
3 - textured and
4- smooth
5- magnets
6- lampshade
7- egg carton with
8- oval- eggs
9- canned milk
10- from the fridge- a wee pot of jam

Life is about using the whole box of crayons. RIL, Venezia, Weekly Drawing Event, 120postcards
Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2014. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

Artastic I had to smile when I saw your "snoring" magnet. I epent many nights on the couch trying to block out the sound of snoring. The last few years my husband was on a BYaP machine and I listened to that at night. Now I would even take back the snoring. Sorry for the downer but it's that time of year. Did give me a good memory.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

wc and pitt artist pen, all on one 8.5x11" page, around 45 min.

2. eggs in carton
3. comfy dog sleeping
4. lampshade
5. in a corner
6. slipper substituting for a shoe

Cheers,
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Challenge 1 - Group of 5 things

1. Animal - Blossom
2. Draped cloth - her blanket
3. Rug - floor rug
4. Comfy - Drums little round bed which she loves to rest her elbows on
5. Corner - Blossom's corner - her space between the lounge suite and the ranch slider door to the Conservatory

Willow Charcoal 8in x 11in

C & C's welcome

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

J: I love Penny, animal toy, view out the window, and the super cute fish cracker.

Bonnie: Great group. I esp. like the square pair dishes, magnet, and the super job on egg carton. Gorgeous delicate lamp.

Viv: Bravo for the still-life. Blossom does look so comfy in her zone.

EP: I like your carton. The eggs look comfy in their pockets. I love the sleeping puppy. Your colors are glowing.