WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
Philadelphia

Hails from Poland
Exclamation Nerve Wracked

I am less than 24 hours from presenting my first piece of work for exhibit.

It's not a pastel, but for our 'Drawing I' class. I'm not worried about criticism, I'm just worried about being so wildly different from what everyone else is preparing. That 'sticking out like a sore thumb' kinda feeling.

And it'll be hanging in a gallery for a month!

It's over there in the Composition Forum. Was hoping for some pointers, but it's not the busiest place to get opinions sometimes LOL

Anyway, I'm about as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs already. How did everyone else feel the first time they were preparing something to put out there for people ... complete strangers even! ... to look at?

ARRRGgghH! Help! I'm in need for some last minute support !!!!!
- Greg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from England
Good Luck!... i'm sure it will be fine
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 02:52 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Of course you feel nervous. You will do, every time you do something like this. You are putting your heart and soul up on display, and you have to get used to the idea that some will like it, others won't. It is always hard to take criticism, because whenever we produce a piece of work, we put everything we have into it, and I mean everything. You try your very hardest, don't you. It's not like you carelessly knocked something up, without caring much whether it was OK or not.

It is absolutely NO consolation whatsoever, but I have to tell you that I am as nervous as one of those cats you describe (lovely mental image, that) EVERY TIME I put myself out on display. And I have been doing so for more than 20 years. I have an exhibition coming up in May, and I feel slightly sick with nerves inside every time I think about it.

However, it doesn't stop me from showing my work, it doesn't stop me from carrying on wanting to improve, and if you are committed to your art, you will be the same.

Welcome to the club! Just try not to worry - it won't help, and there WILL be people who will like what you have done. You just have to ingnore those who don't, and keep going!

Jackie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 03:21 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Greg, I'm afraid I can't advise as I'm not at that stage yet and have no exhibition stories / experiences / anecdotes / comic vignettes to share ... I just want to say that this sounds very exciting and to wish you the best of luck!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
South Florida

Hails from United States
Hey Greg, I went over there and it was REALLY quiet, so I didn't want to wake anyone up by making a comment. Felt like I was in the liberry!

It's sort of like stage fright, but luckily you don't have to remember any lines! (no pun intended)

Speaking of lines, your drawing looked good, but I'm not an expert on perspective drawing. Don't worry and enjoy yourself!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 01:08 PM
A Local Legend
Somewhere out there... Auckland, NZ.

Hails from New Zealand
No artistic advice to offer -but hang in there Greg you'll be fine
Like a quote I read somewhere -don't ask me from who
It's alright to have butterflies in your stomach - just get them to fly in formation ! "
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Philadelphia

Hails from Poland
Thanks everyone! I have about an hour and a half to wait .... tiiiiiiiiiiiiiick tick tick tick tick.

Jackie, um ... I guess that's a little consolation. You mean I have to go through this every time?!? LOL

By the way, for those of you that were interested, I've completed the shading, and you'll notice I've signed it. That wacky Dark_Shades is still convinced something quite ain't right with it, (or maybe she was saying there ain't something right about me )so I may have to erase the sig, change it, then sign it again! LOL

It is sort of like a library over there. I think I heard crickets...

Cheers!
- Greg
I greyscaled it, and you'll notice my "Mighty Thumb of Hercules" that I use to straighten out my crooked horizon lines in landscapes has made an appearance.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 04:41 PM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Don't worry, be happy! LOL

You will do fine... We are all proud of you and are clapping for you!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Ohhhh you cheeky sod!! lol ..... thats it ya on ya own now ... not my fault ya got wonky boxes hee hee .... I gotta headache thats for sure

.... Like I said..... the alterations you have done are better .... but Im wondering if the problem is that you keep giving us photos at an angle!!! - it really does alter the perspectives..... probably the slope I keep seeing is the paper where you are bending it with that damn thumb lol

.... there is just no hope in helping some people lol

Last edited by Dark_Shades : 03-20-2003 at 05:27 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Philadelphia

Hails from Poland
LOL ... Dark_Shades has been working behind the scenes helping me. From what I gather she is sitting in front of her computer now with blood shot eyes, a nervous twitch, half a bottle of Tylenol remaining and a fist full of hair in her hand because ....

I posted a lopsided picture. D'oH!

That's the reason the perspectives don't look right on your end.

Sorry about that Dark, you know I luv ya!

Cheers! And thanks again
- Greg
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Philadelphia

Hails from Poland
Talking

Well, tonight was the big night. Not only did they hang the picture in the gallery, I got to sort of hang 'round and quietly enjoy the 'ohhs and ahhs' from my peers in class.

What a rush!

I was careful to not show anyone beforehand. Since no one knew who's was who's, I didn't have to worry about biased opinions. A couple people were scared to hang thiers, and I talked them into it because I loved the feeling of having my work, my time, my effort on the wall, totally oblivious to how I felt about it at the time

They were all very good, and I learned a lot about myself, and everyone else. It was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be.

What a relief. Now, excuse me, I have to try and fit my big fat head through the door so I can take a shower!

Cheers, and thanks again everyone. Especially Dark_Shades (for reasons mentioned above) and Jackie, since she helped put things into perspective about ALWAYS being nervous. (get it, perspective? I kill me again!) LOL

- Greg
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 02:07 AM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Greg, CONGRATULATIONS on your showing. The bravest thing I ever did was my first painting posted here on WC. It took two days of pacing and starting a post and then cancelling it before I took the plunge! Exhibiting in front of live people, face to face...I'm not sure I could even show up. Of course I would be curious as hell and probably send someone else to spy for me, but I do not think I would actually attend.

You deserve your big head just for being courageous enough to stand up and say "Hey! Look at what I did!" as well as for the fact that it is a very good and creative perspective drawing.

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from England
Well done when's the next one?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Philadelphia

Hails from Poland
Since I posted this in the Comp forum too, I thought I'd repeat it here.

Out of 70 students, 25 of which submitted work for this exhibition... I was one of four who got an "Honorable Mention", the highest awards given to the Drawing I students.

I will be presented Sunday with the award for 'Outstanding Technical Composition' at the closing ceremonies.

Thanks everyone for their input, I learned a ton

This po' boieee done good

Cheers!
- Greg
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 12:15 AM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Woo Hoo! Take your bows and enjoy your fame! You earned it!

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth