WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 AM
UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Gold leaf over oil paint?

I've worked with gold leaf and acrylic before, but not gold leaf and oil paint. It might be an odd question, but how would gold leaf fit into the whole fat over lean rule? Isn't it supposed to be flexible over less flexible? So if you applied gold leaf over an oil layer, wouldn't the movement of the oil layer underneath start to crack up gold leaf on top?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Gold leaf over oil paint?

I've thought about doing this before.. but never did.

you're right about the fat over lean, but I think if the painting is dry to the touch, I wouldn't think there would be a problem.. Of course it might depend on how much or how large of an area your planning on using it in also.

The support your using might play a factor also.. ie. canvas as compared to some sort of panel.

please post if you decide to do this.. I'm curious. I guess there's only one way to find out though.

Good Luck
woody
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Gold leaf is so thin, I doubt it would be able to "crack". Also, as a precious metal it is pretty flexible too and should withstand any tension from the oil film below I would think.

The question I have is what is the best a size/adhesive for gold leaf on oil? If anyone knows I would be interested in the answer.

I don't know if you have seen the current Painting with the Masters thread (Hans Memling): we have a painting with gold background and I have experimented with gold leaf on that one, I had egg tempera below though and have used an acrylic-based gilding milk because I didn't know better

Susanne
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Gold is really flexible and malleable. I've used it mostly with egg empera, but it adheres pretty well to the oils in oil paint. The expansion of the drying oil paint might cause the leaf to split, but I suppose a little more leaf could be applied later over it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

This is not what you asked but related--I have been using Schmincke gold oil paints (there are 4 or 5 metallic colors); they are great alone or mixed with other colors. Just a thought for your quest! !
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
UK

Actually, I think I know which Schmincke paints you mean......and they look very tempting....

http://www.kunstpark-shop.de/Kuenstl...old-35-ml.html

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM
UK

I've just seen the price!!! :O