WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
A Local Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Scavenger hunt #247 - 27 Nov to 5 Dec 2011

i apologise for being a bad, absent host . I've had an awful week. Last Satuday night I was in a lot of pain with my right arm,. i awoke sunday and it was paralysed I couldnt' move it and the pain was excruciating. Monday i took a taxi to my doctor who upped pain meds without effect so that tuesday i had to go to the emergency dept at hosptial as i was in such pain. they gave me mpr[hine. Apparently it was a very sever firbro attack which is related to my havinf CFS/Me. I've had pains in arm before but just wokred through them - thsi was somethinng else. my brian told my arm to move and it couldn't. it has been like this a week. Todaty i can move my arm about 10 inches to the side and up to cheset height and can finallyy stretch it out insetad of having it folded in a sling. I've not been able to sleep for pain. it knowcked me about and i havent' ahd the inclination to be on line, everything ahs been such an effort as I am right- handed. i can use my fingers but can'[t draw as I can't even reach out for my pencils...

I'll take some time but i will go back through the thread and check all yuor work. i'm bitterly upset i haven't been able to participate. i could have tried left handed but even to get things and set them up would ahve required so much help i couldn't even get up and down from my chair. i'm still struggling. I ams trying also to avoid my left arm going the same way via being overworked.... I will come back to comment I promise.....
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
A Local Legend

ok this make take a while but I ahve 2 windows open to look and comment as i go through from beginning in order of posts............

Ai - did n't comment at the time but grats on being first. love the colours in the feather and nice work on the others too - you seem to be throwing yurself into the hunt. love the ducks. what a great set of cards - are they all there?

Joan - i can't see the pencil image #1 but impressive on skin and cone. and I LOVE the w3atercolour. it's great that you do the scav hunt outdoors. you managed to tek this item literally.

EP - thanks for the edit.

jacqui - thanks

oh goodness - I've just seen my post on page 2 - yikes! sorry about that.

joan T - hah now I see your '1 sketcg and love the sculpture! did you enjoy making it? that whisk can't have been easy. nice earring too.

joe - jumping inn there with the spherical and coiled. interesting #1 pot is it ceramic or like terracotta?

jacquip post #21 - great crystals can feel the energy ! a gumnut ? what tree is that from? hh I recognse those medicine balls I have a set too with bells in side - always intrigued me how they got them in there. I've always wanted a lava lamp. Awwww @ Tristie looks like he's had a little tipple and is sleeping it off.... so is the dragon - did they have a party

Joan T ah more loving your colours and that you use theese wet mediums to such good effect. Great example of a drinking vessel! Ein, zwei, suppe

joe - what a great santa!! your friend was certainly gifted and you have done his work justice.

Vivienne - hi great to have you on th ehunt.. lovely soft rose and Iris.... reminding us northerners of the summer! did you use pastel pencils?

j - lovely car I wish I'd kept all mine and myh brothers - we never had space really ,. lost all my son's too. nice looking piece of jewellry.

kivrin - good item for newly acquired and great crunchy feeling leaf, love the way the shadow lifts it

artastic - Bonnie - great to see you on the hunt!!! Yes it's that time (except for ~Vivienne) for the dried leaves! and the composition with the nuts makes a lovely study. love the little man - i have one in purple - of course . lovely seashore items - so reminds me of summer on the beach. nice shaping for the cylindrical.

...... phew onto page 3......

Ai sorry to hear your little one is struggling with teetheing. At least it is a healthy thing and will pass, even though it is frustrating.

Joan T wow you are enjoying this hunt it seems and I am enjoying your bright cheerful watercolours. love the 'disliked #14 typical man thing . Chrismas carols are indeed musical - you can only count it if you were singing along ! ovely painting though. how do you manage to paint with watercolours whilst standing in a busy tree garden centre - don't people give you funny looks? do you do it standign or do yoou like get a chair out of the car and sit down. don't busy people walk past you wondering why you are sitting there? Are you in the way lol? you are brave!

Boatsie - WELLCOME great to have yuo along and it is an honour that my list should be your first - (and then I'm not here to be a good host for you ) cute angel - great item choices and your drawings are really good with great form and shading! love the Christmas bauble too. maybe you should keep the envelope and throw away the bill!

Bear star - I like the chiaroscuro effect on the seashell with the reflection challenge. really works well. I think you are the first to try this challenge so go you! I hope it does become addictive for you Stephanie - it has for many of us. I'm just gutted I can't draw on my own list - I've been really looking forward to it too!

Vivienne - aw poor rejected or dejected Kiwi. Nice work on the vase and seashell. It is always hard to get good shots when working in subtle values but your cat ornament and book look good from what i can see. big AWWWWWW for Drum... he's lovely. look at that little tail sticking up - and he so doesnt care does he.

sorry I missed saying Happy birthday Joan.

Boatsie - cool peppermil but that Jay feather was a nice find and lovely rendered. Glad you did the mask - not many have but the word 'mask' can be interpreted in so many ways. It is lovely.

jacquip - healthy quick snack choice Ah deosn't have to be a real flower - I was oging to use a silk one. We have a daffoldil for a cancer charity here too. such lovely renderings of all the items.

Thank you all so much for joinin in the fun still a couple of days to join in,,,, maybe I should try left handed but then I'd have to get Dave to run around grabbing everything for me.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

LIN! So sorry to hear about your arm, the pain, the sleepless nights, not being able to draw....yet, still you went through with all the comments!! My goodness, you're a real trooper!! Thank you for the warm welcome and encouraging comments. But please, don't be a hero, just rest up that arm, read and look at the art--I totally understand and won't expect written comments. I know I joined the challenge a couple days after the start and I had a job going back and trying to comment...and I had 2 good arms!

JACQUIP: Thank you for the comments . Love your latest pen & ink renderings! The pen with the flower and necklace are wonderfully detailed! I love the safety pin with it's reflections and the beautiful and graceful lines of the shell. With work like this, you're going to be dangerous once you get that bamboo ink pen play!

Last edited by BOATSIE : 12-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Viv - Cute ornament! Love your shading on the vase and shell. Looks like everyone is napping!!!

Ai - Thank you.

Jacqui - Thanks so much. Looks like the yummy yogurt is all gone. I like the idea of the daff pen. It lasts much longer than the flower. Good thinking for coiled. I can never find a safety pin when I need one.

Janet - That is an odd shaped mill. I broke the last one I bought and I don't even use much pepper. Great shading on the feather. Love the colorful New Orleans mask!!!

16 - twisted ribbon on my birthday balloon - inktense pencils and ink

17 - newly acquired - inktense pencils & ink
18 - a quick snack (goldfish crackers)

19 - shoes - pencil
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Lin - I'm so sorry about the pain you've been in!!! I'd give you a hug, but it may make it hurt more so I'll give you one of these. I did the Christmas tree lot sketch from the front seat of my car (where I do a lot of my sketching) so that they wouldn't look at me funny. I know if I sat in the lot the men would move out of the way and I wanted them in the sketch.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Joan, thanks for the comments The work on those slippers is awesome; love the cute snack (both the drawing and the crackers too); great shopping bag (just what are you trying to hide in there and from who? ) Great idea on the twisted theme and great balloon!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Lin I really feel for you. I have had similair pain in my hand. It makes everything so hard to do and pain is so so draining. There was no need to push yourself to comment. Your health and well being are the most important thing, please rest and take care. Come by and look and smile (hopefully) at the posts but no need for any more, I am sure the others would agree. I am glad you liked my sketches, a gumnut is the seed pod from a gum tree, can't remember the actual species that has them. They can be quite large, up to 2 cm round or more. I like picking them up off the nature strip when I'm out walking as they always make good sketching items. I know what you mean about the bell inside the balls, how do they do that??? I have been trying to use mine everyday now and it has been helping my hand a lot.

Joan what a great balloon. Somebody went all out for you, its wonderful. I too want to know what is hiding in that bag, is it a jumper?? great colour whatever it is. I have never heard of goldfish crackers what do they taste of? Great job on the shoes.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Lin: Thanks. and get well soon. Take care of your self. Don't worry of typing comments or have to draw anything if your arm is still hurt, pls. rest. We all thinking of you and hope your pain go away soon.

Joan: Happy Birthday... my dear friend.

Jacqui: Lovely set of pen & wash... so inspiring.

J & Bonnie: Hi.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM
A Local Legend

thank you all for wel wishes.

Joan I do love the way you pnt at every opportunity. This next lot are also great. I especially love the ballet shoes. that reminds me - i have a pair of bolack flatties like that - they will be handy for when i go to the theatre- now where did i put them?

Well as the night went on i got more bored and as i could use my fingers and lower arm i got some pens and decided to have a go.

I also tried one with my left hand and my poorly arm. my hand writing has shrank. it's tiny like my son's miniscule scrawl.

so here is what I've done (so far )
ALL IN SKETCHBOOK WITH PEN

#1 SEASHORE
(limpet shell - but looks more like a UFO )

#2 HELPS ME RELAX
Incense come and oil - my favourtie Nag Champa

#3 FROM THE WOODS - Crow feather
First with poorly armn
lower one with left hand

apologies for these 2 - they are really awful lol esp my attempt at the Vitruvian man on the book.

#4 NEWLY ACQUIRED
Book 'The Secret Code' by Priya Hemenway

#5 DRINKING VESSEL

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Lin - I'm so sorry to hear of your health problems and you must be in so much pain! You are really courageous to try to carry on sketching when you are so ill. A BIG hug from me and I hope you'll begin to feel better soon.

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

LIN: Way to go...you can't keep a good artist down. The seashell, bottle and feather are great! The fact that you'd even attempt Vitruvian man (with or without a good arm) is worth lots of extra credit! Rest up, get well.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Hunt 248 is posted.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepaint
Hunt 248 is posted.
\\

These things really make the time fly by!
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Don't think I'll get to the end of the list this time. Was hoping to go down the list in order, but I think I'll pick out about 4 more from the remaining list and knock them out and go on to the next.

Here's four I've completed in the last 2 days:

#13 Shoes: My Sloggers--only THE most comfortable (and ugly) shoes on the planet.

#14 From Childhood: My hospital bracelet circa 1950's made up of tiny beads and string. Back then we didn't have all that "baby-proof/safety" stuff going on. It's a wonder how so many of us boomers made it through childhood!

#15 Favoriate Thing (for this time of year): Cella DARK Chocolate Covered Liquid Cherries (not the Milk Chocolate covered or the cheapie knock-off ones with that white creamy glop in the center).

#16 Disliked: Loreal Age Defying Make-up Soft Ivory #702 -- way too light for my skintone

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I sketched a little but too late to take the photos. Lin thanks for the list, sorry you are still having problems, get well soon!

Ai, I just love your playing cards, from the woods and all. I like Werther's too and forget to buy them. Hope the teething goes by quickly. Way back 40+ years ago there were some little "pills" about as big as a mustard seed called Humphrey's Number 3. They were chamomile and you put a couple under a baby's tongue and it helped so much. You might find something similar in an herb store.

Joan, lovely onion skin. Never thought I would say that. Heh. Nice pine cone, too. And of course the little boat house. Cool sculpture and label on the cylinder. Good idea for coiled. No whisk here yet. Ha. The leave, plant and flower all look very natural. You definitely can count the Christmas music at the tree sale. Nice sketch, too. Beautiful flowers.

Joe, what a nice little pot. I like the coiled, I have plenty of cords around, too. Nice ornament. Fun to have the memories, eh? It looks carved to me.

Jaqui, I use pen 'cause it is fast, too. I rarely sketch with anything else. I hadn't thought about lava lamps in ages. Nice work. I like the hatching on your kitty. Your ornament is different. I thought of Christmas ornaments.

Vivien, hi there! Ooooh. Forget that it is springtime/summery for you. Beautiful flowers. Look at you go! Love the shell and twist in the vase. Poor little reject! Love your choices.

"J" the Oscar Meyer whistle is neat. Never saw one. I will now have the tune on my mind. Beautiful cross and well done.

Kivrin, hi. I love the reflection and you did some great ellipses on your bottle! Congrats on that!

Bonnie, beautiful leaves and nuts. Your harlee-quin made me laugh. Well done. Nice sea shore items and cylinder.

Janet, welcome to the Hunts. Your sketches/drawings are lovely. The Christmas ball is great. You do lovely shading and lines. Nice work. I'm always looking for different pepper mills for our daughters collection, thank you! Nice feather and ornament. Are sand dollars good luck for getting real dollars?? Ha. They are fun to collect.

Hi Stepanie, welcome to you, too. Excellent sketches. Nice reflection. I haven't seen any jingle bells yet this year. Nice work.

We are going to look at a desk I saw on Craigs list in the morning. It is a corner desk and table would be nice to have table space for pastels and storage for papers. He has a desk part, too, so maybe get all of it for my studio. I'll let you know. Right now all my supplies are on the floor or in boxes, still. Soon I can show photos! We went to Penney's yesterday to get some towels and bath rugs. I forgot it was Saturday and 3 weeks before Christmas. What was I thinking? Well, obviously I wasn't. Ha. Nice to have things, though. The crowds didn't bother that much in the bedding dept. Heh, heh. Thanks all.
Winston Churchill