WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 PM

How to add a yellow without the sky turning to green

Hi,

I am trying to paint a sunset that has the top of the sky blue turning to yellow at the horizon.

I painted first the blue trying not to touch the horizon area, however where both colours meet I got a green that I don´t know how to get rid of. I tryed to cover it with white to paint on top but the result was worse so I just scratched the colours but the green still shows.

Any ideas on how to fix this? And how can I get a nice sunset without the sky turning to green?.

Thank you for your help.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
West Bolton, Quebec

Hails from Canada
Re: How to add a yellow without the sky turning to green

Usually, if you add a speck or two of red to your mixture, it will prevent it going green.

http://hmessier.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Hi, thanks for your question. Are you using watercolour?

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
Hi, thanks for your question. Are you using watercolour?

Einion

No, I use W&N water soluble oils.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
In that case I would have advised either waiting for the current paint to dry, so that you can safely paint over it without colour from below mixing into the later paint, or scraping and wiping back with a cloth or some kitchen paper to get as close to clean canvas to paint over. But a little of both might be necessary sometimes (depending on which blue you've used and how much of it); because yellows get tainted so easily by just a tiny amount of blue and turn green, even residual blue paint in the weave of the canvas might be enough to get you into trouble especially when painting thinly.

If you're working from a photograph it would be best for us to look at the exact colours present to give more on-point advice, so if you could post or link to the image that would be good. One thing that many people don't realise is that when there is yellow at the horizon and the sky is blue between them is a faint band of green, it's just so light and dull that it's not often seen for what it is.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
If you're working from a photograph it would be best for us to look at the exact colours present to give more on-point advice, so if you could post or link to the image that would be good. One thing that many people don't realise is that when there is yellow at the horizon and the sky is blue between them is a faint band of green, it's just so light and dull that it's not often seen for what it is.

Einion

Thank you Einion and thank you Amandine.

I am working from an old poster. The sky in the picture is blue, but what I am trying to do is to paint a sunset with the sky blue and yellow.

As you suggest I will wait for the paint to to dry and then paint on top.

Thank you again for your help. WC is a great site, with such a big amount of information and help.

By the way I found this link with some exercises to help us beginners with colour and values. I post it just in case it can be of help to other members.

http://www.guidetooilpainting.com/colorValues.html
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

To prevent this unwanted green form occurring next time, you could mix up your intermediate color separately (or even several discrete steps of intermediate colors) and then paint them in, keeping the blue and yellow from directly mixing with each other.

The tricky part will be in deciding what color the intermediate colors really are or what you want them to be (color appearance is highly affected by context), and then deciding which pigments to use to mix them.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felisa
I am working from an old poster. The sky in the picture is blue, but what I am trying to do is to paint a sunset with the sky blue and yellow.
Ah okay, in that case I'd recommend finding an image that's something like what you're looking to do and trying to emulate the colour in it.

With it being so easy to find images online now finding one or more appropriate photos shouldn't take you long; it's much better to paint from a reference than trying to do it from memory or using your imagination if you want a fairly realistic outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
The tricky part will be in deciding what color the intermediate colors really are or what you want them to be (color appearance is highly affected by context)...
And then some! Found an image earlier where dull yellows and oranges appear to be green (very common as we know), another where greens kinda look blue and another where most of the 'blue' portion of the sky is actually rose/magenta in hue. In the last case they are of course quite grey, so it's very easy for an orangey context to make that portion look blueish.

Einion

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Thank you Patrick and Einion for your very helpful advice.

That is what I have done so far. As you can see, to hide the green
I used red and many different bits of colours and of course it looks too busy.

I would very much appreciate critique and suggestions to improve the painting.

Thank you again for your time and help.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm attaching a pic of a 'set that has few clouds so you can see not only them but the color transition in the clear air. In reality, there is a certain amount of delicate green but its hard to see cuz of the very vibrant yellow/orange/red/purple shift. In my photo, look near the horizon & at the very edge of cloud. Also note that the sky above the clouds goes from sunlit yellows into subtle ochre, then to white... Then to lighterblues.
I note that your painting has very little orange/red/purple in the sky & earth. You're using mostly yellows.
Hmmm... can't load image. Here's a link: http://www.wallpapersm.com/images/wa...et-823879.jpeg
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Most of the blue and yellow sunsets I've seen the blue and yellow both fade to white, so that there is a soft white between them.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felisa
That is what I have done so far. As you can see, to hide the green I used red and many different bits of colours and of course it looks too busy.
I don't think it looks too busy at all. Many sunset skies have a lot going on in them, FWIW a few I was looking at last week were a great deal busier than what you've painted.

Einion

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Amsterdam, europe

Hails from Netherlands

I usually solve this by having either the blue or yellow dry before adding the other... but adding a spec of red was a great tip. Having a hazy white area in between helps as well, often it takes on a magenta-ish appearance all by itself.

I don't think it looks too busy either. The red interval color is a natural phenomenon.

The greens (trees) on the foreground look absolutely gorgeous! Almost immaterial.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Thank, you all for your help, I must say that the ideas given are very useful and I am trying to put it all into practice .

I must say one of my biggest problems is to mix the right colours and to apply them. I read a lot about colour theory, but I think it is practice, patience and time. And of course the help received at WC that is invaluable.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Your sunset is beautiful. I would've said add red, bring in some reds and then violets between the yellow and blue. Sunsets usually lean toward orange before turning blue - and that grays out the green band to a large extent.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting