WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Session 5- Color, Values, Brushwork- Strategies to Improve Painterly Realism

Been working long and hard on this one, taking advantage of the extra week with the postponed session two weeks ago..

Here is the thing though...Go To Meeting doesn't understand something like "postpone" and so we are slotted for so many sessions under the one registration.

That being said, a new registration link will be provided soon, I'll add it to this thread when available, on my blog...and other social networking sites. I'm sure those having been receiving regular email updates will get it that way as well...but it is good for folks to know they need to look for it.

Will be sharing the wisdom behind why many of the great teachers of the past, and many great painters today espouse using a limited palette. How to expand what a limited palette of color is capable of incorporating even just a few strategies, and how your own understanding will be greatly increased. Soon...you will understand the danger of buying and adding more and more pigments just because they dangle on a shelf in the art store.

We'll be looking at the importance of values which takes the feet right out from most poorly executed work...a managed values palette to assure optimum success til confidence soars...

and finally...brushwork...how to attack, wield the brush, lay the pigment down, leaving well enough alone!!!

Look for the link...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Session 5- Color, Values, Brushwork- Strategies to Improve Painterly Realism

Here is the Outline for this session-

Color, Values, Brushwork- Strategies to Improve Painterly Realism
with artist/instructor Larry Seiler

Premise…
Taking control with deliberate purpose filled
strategies toward efficiency and effectiveness

I. The Poetry or Ah-Hah! of painting-
a) First step is to want more
b) difference between “linear” and “painterly”
c) Paint in a way that engages the viewer

II. Color
a) The discipline acquainting with values
b) Split-Primary Palette (color temperature)
c) Limited Palette (basic colors put out)
d) Split-Complementary Palette
e) Other palettes

III. Painting Trees
a) Block-in
b) Limit yourself to limited value groups
c) sculpt with negative space

IV. Question & Answers
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Re: Session 5- Color, Values, Brushwork- Strategies to Improve Painterly Realism

LOLOLOL..... this has been absolutely crazy!!! First two weeks I got up at 2am but couldn't get on the webinar.... third week I got on but Larry couldn't... fourth week I was too sick to get up and here I am, 2:07 am and I watch Larry say goodbye and sign off!!!!

WHAT???? OH NOOOO!!!! It must have something to do with daylight savings time!

Larry, for some reason the Gods are against me.....

Back to bed, I guess.....

Vida
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Sorry...Vida...what a whirlwind its been for you.

Thankfully...all the sessions are recorded, and will be available soon in this series after next week's last program...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I have been asked about what my gouache pigments are...so, here is my set up...a Guerrilla pochade box, and Holbein pigments.

Also use Yarka or Richeson (Yarkas) for my students, very affordable, and really quite nice paints. I was quite surprised...even thru a few in my paint box.

I'm thinking...the finer higher end pricier pigments matter more when applied more as thinner washes, requiring a good saturation of pigments and binder. And...I'm coming to think I tend to use gouache quite untraditionally when I paint it creamier, more direct alla prima...and I come to that conclusion by comments of surprise I get from people, emails...etc., when looking at my work. Without such comments...as more a gouache newbie, I wouldn't know...

I also have a few artists out there I greatly admire for their use of gouache, one is an illustrator and friend that gave me my set of Holbein's to experiment with, Fred Harper....

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 11-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 AM

Hi Larry: Thanks for sharing your gouache set-up. I have W&N gouache -do you think that there is any advantage to the Holbein gouache over the W&N?
I also see some palette knives in your gouache pochade box -do you use them with the gouache?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon_Calgary
Hi Larry: Thanks for sharing your gouache set-up. I have W&N gouache -do you think that there is any advantage to the Holbein gouache over the W&N?
I also see some palette knives in your gouache pochade box -do you use them with the gouache?

I haven't painted with gouache long enough, Sharon...to know the finer points to be honest. I know...that Holbein is revered by many painters, so when my friend so generously gave me a small set of them I was blown away.

I have replaced some of my Holbeins with W&N until I can order more Holbeins...but in truth, I have even found the Richeson gouache (Yarkas) pretty good, but it may be more in the way I paint. I might be lucky...that my alla prima method is more flexible.

I use the knives for primarily mixing color...but at times to make small marks to suggest branches as I do my oils. Also...to scrape some paint off the palette...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Larry, thanks for all you are doing with this webinar and all you have done in the past for me as well as literally thousands of artists...helping me to understand better why my paintings do and don't work...
I started painting in watercolor, wanted to be loose in style but usually ended up quite tight and detailed...I changed over to oils when I began concentrating on plein air painting and through following your posts on WC and your blog I've always appreciated and enjoyed seeing your gouache paintings. I like the brushwork you use with the gouache and often thing the style reminds me of silk screen artwork.
...looking forward to session five...by the way, are you painting the gouache on the pumice panels? other supports? Stay well...

Steve Beaubien
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Beaubien
...looking forward to session five...by the way, are you painting the gouache on the pumice panels? other supports? Stay well...

Steve Beaubien

Thanks Steve...very kind comments...

I am painting most of my gouache on heavy acid free presentation boards, Strathmore, and my favorite thus far of those is the 400 series black...
Other supports are acid free quality mat boards with their colored surfaces, which is quite lovely to paint on.

Had some interesting and good news last night. As some already know, the piece I had accepted into the 12th annual American Impressionist Society national exhibition was a small little gouache, and that piece sold. What I did not know...and found out last night, was that quite a few were disappointed they had not had the chance to buy it...and thus the host gallery is interested in representing my work out in California. Can't say much more than that right now...but that is always of course good stuff when that happens.

I think they may find interest in my oils too....but, it is also a good thing for artists that paint with gouache who feel I suppose to have less validation toward being recognized. The catalogue of the works listed it as a "watercolor" and it is...an opaque form, but many purists downgrade or wrinkle their nose that it should be compared.

I find all that stuff silly nonsense, and that talent and the painting is really all what in the end finally matter. But, I hope such news comes of encouragement to those painting with gouache. It is a lovely and fun medium...and much of where I am going right now with oils, is because of it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Larry,

I'm looking forward to the recordings. Maybe your next classes will work out beautifully for me... ah well... such is life.

I love your Guerilla box. I'm looking into buying one. What size do you have? I'm thinking of buying the 9 x 12 size. There's a saying in Greece which says "something big can be made smaller but something small can't be made bigger"

Vida
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM
East Coast of Canada

Hails from Canada

lookiong forward to this session.

Last edited by hayday77 : 11-06-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wrong place
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM

"Had some interesting and good news last night. As some already know, the piece I had accepted into the 12th annual American Impressionist Society national exhibition was a small little gouache, and that piece sold. What I did not know...and found out last night, was that quite a few were disappointed they had not had the chance to buy it...and thus the host gallery is interested in representing my work out in California. Can't say much more than that right now...but that is always of course good stuff when that happens."

Woohooo Larry!
My website

Last edited by AZSandy : 11-06-2011 at 09:29 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida Evenson
Larry,

I love your Guerilla box. I'm looking into buying one. What size do you have? I'm thinking of buying the 9 x 12 size. There's a saying in Greece which says "something big can be made smaller but something small can't be made bigger"

Vida

I have a dozen 9"x 12" Guerrilla Boxes, Vida...for when I have plein air students that travel in or want to try them. I have extensions that allow slightly larger works to be painted on them, and smaller than 9" x12" I simply tape to the inside lid... very good boxes...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Dale, Sandy...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Just re-checked time zones...seems you are now on standard time ...will have to get up at 2AM .... hope my daughters computer will work... been called for babysitting duty...