WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Homemade Aquatint Box

I recently finished a little project that I have been planning for a good while - I built my own aquatint box (rosin box). My first attempt was in a pampers nappy box, sealed with duct tape... it worked OK but leaked quite a bit which is not so good in a home studio. I've been looking for plans or diagrams but found very little online, so I just designed it myself. Having used a large Polymetaal box in the studio where I did a few courses, I had a good idea how it worked and drew a 3D design in sketchup.

I then made it using 9mm exterior plywood, some dowels, hardboard and brushes (door draught seals), sealed all the joints with silicon, sealed the door edges with silicon bath seals and made a crank from wood. All the materials cost me less than €60/$80 and it took about 2 days including varnishing.

It works perfectly. I'm busy doing the first test prints and will upload these when done. Here is the finished product.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland
Re: Homemade Aquatint Box

I'm so impressed! It must give you a real sense of satisfaction to have both designed and manufactured the box - well done! Looking forward to seeing the results of your labours.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Sweet!
I'm curious - do you think a plexi viewport would be a helpful addition?

JDH
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

brilliant! you should up production and market these

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heft
Sweet!
I'm curious - do you think a plexi viewport would be a helpful addition?

JDH

I'm not sure if a viewport will be worth much as the rosin kind of sticks to the sides and will block the view. I had left a viewport in my first cardboard attempt and it completely clogged up. It's dark inside as well so you wont see much. I suppose you could replace one entire panel with plexi... I think its easier to just open the door a little if you want to check the dust levels, and after a few tries you will know how long to wait anyway. That is what I'm doing now - test plates ...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridog
brilliant! you should up production and market these

All orders welcome...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Crete, Greece

Hails from United Kingdom

I don't want to rain on the party -- that looks like an excellent box -- but I find I usually have to stick a palette knife into the rosin powder at the bottom of the box to "lump it up", so the paddles actually bite into the powder when I crank the paddle handle.

What I see here is a very nice grate of bars -- good for laying an etching plate on, but tricky for tending to the rosin itself, below.

My own box has no such grill or grate. I fluff up the rosin with a knife, crank the paddle -- which has only two wings, not four, as in the diagrams -- settle the paddle in a horizontal position, and lay my plate directly on the paddle itself. The paddle creates the flat surface to lay my plates on as the rosin dust settles.

There's enough friction in the rotation of my paddle (I admit to bad carpentry) for the paddle not to overbalance either way when I lay a plate on it, but for expert carpenters a simple dowel plug pushed into position could keep the paddle level. Is there a need for the grill that outweighs the ease of getting to the rosin powder itself?

Last edited by jerryglover : 11-30-2011 at 12:12 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Gerry, Thanks for the comments. I dont really have that problem as the brushes at the end of the paddles really pick up all the rosin on the bottom - they extend almost right into the corner too so only a little rosin is left at the bottom. I do however have a long handled 'radiator' paint brush that has a crank at the brush head and this makes it really easy to just brush the rosin off the sides of the box and off the little ledges on the sides and also off the paddles itself. I agree that there is probably no real need for the grill other than that it keeps the plate off the paddle that is probably covered in rosin and will stick to the plate at the bottom.

I am also under the impression that you should place the plate as close to the centre of the box to get the most even rosin settlement, but this is probably more theoretical than practical. I have seen boxes that have a removable grill and if I build another box I will seriously consider this, not for general use but for occasional maintenance or simply to get to the paddle if anything goes wrong.

Any other suggestions will be welcome - as I said this is a first attempt and I am sure there are many possible improvements.

Annamie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Hails from Abu Dhabi

This is brilliant. How did you get the plywood to bend into an arc? Thanks.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Hails from United Nations

That is GREAT! It reminds me of the boxes shown in E G Lutz's book "Practical Engraving and Etching" c1933.

I'm a big fan of handmade / homemade equipment, and this piece looks great. I also noticed the print drying rack over the box in some of the pics. That's what I need in my shop.