WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Immortalized
Chadds Ford, PA USA

Hails from United States
Upcoming Nov-Dec Tutorial: Painting Buildings in a Loose and Colorful Way!

This is a head's up, that I will be leading a tutorial called "Painting Buildings in a Loose and Colorful Way" during November and early December. With Sylvia's permission, I'll probably post the introduction to the course during the week of 24 October and start the actual tutorial on 1 November. I hope as many as possible will participate and help make the tutorial a strong learning experience as well as an enjoyable one.

Why a tutorial on buildings? As Kate said, "Boring!" I hope not! I find buildings in the landscape to be interesting and challenging, representing how we live, and often expressing cultural values--both admirable and sometimes not!

Buildings and other structures are common landscape objects, found sometimes as secondary elements and often as primary or dominant elements in a given landscape setting. The combination of natural objects with geometrical objects often creates some of the most striking and memorable landscape paintings. Thus, itís important to learn how to compose, draw and paint buildings and other structures. There are ways to simplify and personalize the use of buildings, which is our goal in this class.

One of the ways to keep buildings from becoming boring and tedious is to treat them in a painterly way. This is not a course in photorealism or even architectural rendering. We arenít going to spend much time exploring how to faithfully capture rusty metal siding, brick or stone masonry, 6 over 6 windows, or how to do believable house portraits. These are all well and good, but, our focus will be on painting buildings and other structures in a personal, painterly way, i.e., loosely and colorfully. Donít despair: what we do here will help you become a painter of house portraits, if thatís your goal! And we will cover building vignettes, windows and how to enliven your painted buildings!

There are many ways to design and compose engaging paintings using buildings. Sometimes the buildings may be dominant. Sometimes they may be secondary or even ancillary. Buildings may be singular or plural. They may be rural or urban. There are times when we may be attracted to a vignette, or partial view, of a building that we find memorable. We'll explore all of these in our tutorial.

A final word about Demon Perspective! I know some of you may avoid painting buildings because Demon Perspective may be involved. If you participate in the tutorial, I guarantee that you will learn a simple and effective way to analyze your source material (we'll use photos, but this method applies equally to sketching and painting en plein air) and sketch a belivable perspective for your painting. You will develop a quick and easy way to sketch and paint buildings. Really!

If you have suggestions or comments about how the tutorial might be most beneficial to you, please add to this thread. We're going to learn together and have an enjoyable time as we learn to paint buildings loosely and colorfully!

Sling buildings!
Virgil
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Weld Maine

Hails from United States
Re: Nov-Dec Tutorial: Painting Buildings in a Loose and Colorful Way!

I am looking forward to this Virgil, this is something I really need to learn! Thanks in advance.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
United States

Hails from United States

I am so looking forward to this class. "Demon Perspective" needs some relaxation, true? That gets me everytime so I'm looking forward to having fun with this!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Cuernavaca, MOR

Hails from Mexico

Virgil: what do you think are the pre-requisites for this tutorial?
Can a beginner participate in it?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Virgil,
This is great!!! I have been trying to add buildings to my landscape scenes and I always have trouble with things like what color to make the windows and doors so they look darker, but not black? I know it is more complicated than this, and I hope you address this. I will brush up on my perspective the next few days!!
Nancy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Immortalized
Chadds Ford, PA USA

Hails from United States

Diane, thanks! We can learn together1

Debra, I think you are quite right: it's time we put Demon Perspective in her/his place and have some fun with our painting. And we will!

Carlos, thanks for asking. The instructional level of the class will be focused on painters who are familiar with and comfortable mixing and applying watercolor paints to moderate to medium sized paintings. Of course, painters of all levels of experience are welcome, but I won't be designing the individual lessons to focus on watercolor basics such as brushes, how to mix colors, how to do washes, etc. The lessons are targeted towards experienced beginners and intermediate painters. That said, I'll be glad to discuss basics in the Homework thread, if such questions are raised there. Does this make sense?

Hi Nancy! Combining geometrical shapes with natural, organic shapes in a strong, engaging painting is a challenge for many, so you have good company. The good news is that we are going to approach the subject from a "personal and painterly" direction, rather than trying to make things photographically accurate. So, your approach will be perfect! Whatever "loose and colorful" means to you (and everyone else) will be the only measure. Glad you will participate!

For those lurking and wondering if the tutorial will be: 1) interesting and fun; 2) too challenging and technical, the tutorial objectives are YES and NO, respectively.

Take a look at the various buildings in the opening comment. They are all different in terms of prominance, detail and technical challenge. With only modest effort, everyone will be able to understand and confidently execute buildings and other structures as foreground, middle ground and background objects. In some of the examples, above, buildings are predominant in the compositions. Here's an example of buildings as subordinate to the overall landscape:

We'll explore buildings and other structures in a range of venues.

Sling buildings!
Virgil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Giddy up!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
oCDs01-711

charliez,

By all means, I encourage you as a beginner to follow Virgil's class and be inspired! I followed his last class as a beginner but as I was also taking a paid oil painting class, guess which I had to focus on mostly with practice? But I stuck with it and had fun with my commitment and loved every one of Virgil's classes! I even learned from simply reading the posts with his critiques.

I'm still taking oil classes, but became inspired to join a wc society. I became bold enough to hang 2 wc paintings in their members' show! I have a huge love for the look and "feel" of wc. As a beginner I know I can't do the quality of work that half of his students can, but I can continue to learn from Virgil's lessons and as a self-taught beginner I plan to follow along once again. Join me!

Shirley
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Cuernavaca, MOR

Hails from Mexico

@Virgil: Thanks a lot for explaining so clearly the focus of the class. I am not there yet, but I am going to take it anyway to see what it feels and what it takes to be in a WetCanvas class. I also want to absorb the knowledge that you are going to share and teach. By the way, I like the color in your work a lot, for me, it looks so lively and "Caribbean".

@Shirley: I will join you! and the rest on the class, you are so kind to encourage me to be in the class, we will sure have fun in it!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

WOOOOO!

I can't promise 100% availability (my schedule is absolute madness) but I will be following along and participating as much as I can. Thankfully I have a LOT of material to practice with (lots of shiny buildings around my work, with some high-end residential for good measure), plus I work for a commercial real estate brokerage with lots more pictures of buildings in our resources.

Marking my calendar now!

Somebody remind me... are we painting with this stuff, or negotiating with it?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

i am looking forward to it, will participate as much as possible.
i go away around the middle of December.
so hope that is ok
thanks
janine
"The clock of life is wound but once, and no-one can tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Mt Nebo Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

looks very interesting Virgil. I'll try and get rid of my demons
My Flickr Site
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
United States

Hails from United States

Carlos, to help reassure you this will be my first class here on WetCanvas and I'll always call myself a beginner. Watercolor tends to do that but I love the medium. I agree about your assessment of Virgil's Caribbean-style colors. I hope to learn to paint a lot more loosely and Virgil is the one to learn that from.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Immortalized
Chadds Ford, PA USA

Hails from United States

Hi Sandra! We're not giddy-yupping yet, but we will soon! It will be a fun journey.

Shirley, glad you are here. And congrats on your paintings in you show. Hope you get lots of kudos and sell them both!

OK, Carlos, welcome! We'll work together for a good learning experience.

Cyntada, thanks for your participation. We will learn much from one another and have a good time doing so.

Hi Janine! Yes, we'll be completed by mid-Dec, since that's the beginning of the holiday season for many folks.

Hi Annie! Hope you will be participating. We're going to sit on Demon Perspective and enjoy squishing her/him!

As to my Caribbean-style colors, I had never thought of them that way, but I suppose its an apt comparison. I think it was Jackie and, perhaps Char, who exchanged comments in a thread about the gray skies of the UK influencing painter's choice of hues and values there as compared to the bright skies of North America and how they influence painters in a different way.

I simply enjoy color and the unique engagement it offers for viewers of paintings. I also am strongly attracted by the personal use of lighting and illumination in paintings, which is also a source of and inspiration for color in painting, IMO. Here's an example of a historic house in my area on one of those late afternoons, with setting sun, that became an enjoyable event and is etched in my memory:

Sling paint!
Virgil
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
A Local Legend
Poinciana, Florida USA

Hails from United States

Virgil I'm really looking forward to this class. Building and interiors are my favorite subjects and I really want to go beyond a "painted drawing". Looking at your examples I can't wait!!

"Life is painting a picture, not doing a sum." Oliver Wendell Homes,Jr. My BLOG