WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#481   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Post Your Dailies here...120 Paintings

Hi Larry,

I don't see the thread to post our homework from Tuesday's session - will you start a new thread?

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #482   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresgatos
Hi Larry,

I don't see the thread to post our homework from Tuesday's session - will you start a new thread?

Long teaching day today...and now working on a painting..so, yes...have started the thread, you'll see it...
  #483   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

registration link-
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/512210944
  #484   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Hails from United States

One of my 120's -- My Crooked Pears -- in colored pencils. I'm working on light, or trying anyway. For some reason, the tiny ridges in the paper showed up on the scan along with the harsh colors. Thanks Larry!
Carol
Attached Images

#485   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinklady219
One of my 120's -- My Crooked Pears -- in colored pencils. I'm working on light, or trying anyway. For some reason, the tiny ridges in the paper showed up on the scan along with the harsh colors. Thanks Larry!
Carol

I would suggest a closer crop of this, and raise the horizontal line of the back so that it is not going across or dividing your paper in half. Going back to composition...variation is very important. A basic rule, is no two intervals the same...

understand how scans are...
  #486   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Larry! I find myself again taking your art course! My last daily, I have been sick of late, but now on anti-biotics and steroids! Hope to get back to the easel when the jitters wear off...this painting was of freesias from my garden, 8 x 10, about 3 hours. This is my 5th alla prima, I am truly loving this method and am learning a lot.
  #487   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Nice Judy...hope you recover quickly and with renewed strength!!!
  #488   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hello Larry,

Just a note to thank you for today's session.

I'm thinking you wanted us to start the 120 paintings as part of the homework???

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #489   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
East Tennessee

Hails from United States

So pleased to have found you! Really enjoyed tonight's Webinar
I will start my 120 paintings tomorrow. I paint with water colors and pastels (newly discovered PanPastels!) -also pen & ink.
  #490   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresgatos
Hello Larry,

Just a note to thank you for today's session.

I'm thinking you wanted us to start the 120 paintings as part of the homework???

Barbara

What I'm hoping...as an instructor and long time presence on Wetcanvas...is that seeing Jeff's progress from his 1st daily...to where he is at now is convincing enough that beyond homework folks will understand they need to take on this task for their own benefit, to catapult their painting ability.

If you wish to call it homework...do so, and though I am a teacher there is no grading here. Based on the first time we offered this series, you'll see the hub of activity that started. In time a number of folks decided to keep up, but post in forums that pertained to their chosen genre. Some I believe perhaps lost heart...

No one should do this for me...

When I consider what Jeff Mahorney did...he painted all 120 BAD paintings, before even letting me know he had created the blog and inviting me to check it out...that to me is what is needed, for folks to be convinced how this will improve their work.

Now...feedback can be important...

I've heard it said folks will lose interest in bowling if a curtain hung down half way down the lanes and blocked view of the pins. Without seeing the results of throwing the ball down the lane...(feedback), folks will abandon the game.

My suggestion is...start the commitment. Share your efforts here and I believe folks will respond...I myself will try and check in from time to time, likewise respond. Once you have an idea of what you're doing, the why you are doing what you are doing...what you are aiming for and seeking to accomplish in this short window of about an hour's time, you'll be well on your way.

Would be good...if you start or have a blog to record your efforts...or start a thread in your preferred forum (as well as share here)...that you then add each image on your on-going quest to that thread.

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 03-08-2012 at 09:14 PM.
  #491   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
Living the dream on the Riviera

Hails from United Kingdom

Orange Balance
by Marion Hedger
Garden 101 daily paintings series No.3

19x27cm size, oil on canvas board.

Still somewhat tight, and I think I must use more paint. I am pushing the paint about instead of picking up fresh paint. I know I'm doing it, but it's so hard to stop........
  #492   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Larry -- you have cut to the chase. I retired from a very left-brained job and decided that, more than anything else, I wanted to paint well enough to have a show before I died. Even a show in a coffee shop would be fine. Time has passed. I can read about art and technique. I can talk about it. I can buy materials for it. But when I pick up a pencil or brush, I freeze -- any effort isn't good enough and reinforces my belief that the rest of the world is talented and I am not. So committing to 120 paintings in 120 days makes total sense, though the idea is scary, and the thought of actually letting others see them almost paralyzing. But I'm bound to improve since, even with my spotty efforts, I have learned that I am better at something when I go to bed than when I got up that morning. Some will be pencil sketches since I'm still trying to learn to draw, some watercolor, and some panpastel, which I've been wanting to try.

That said, I will post #1 by EOD today.
  #493   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionh

Orange Balance
by Marion Hedger
Garden 101 daily paintings series No.3

19x27cm size, oil on canvas board.

Still somewhat tight, and I think I must use more paint. I am pushing the paint about instead of picking up fresh paint. I know I'm doing it, but it's so hard to stop........

Nice handling of the brushwork along the form of the oranges!! Shadows will appear sharpest near the physical entity casting it...but will obscure and blur moving away...and if it seems only marginally so... exaggerating to some extent will increase the illusion of space, realism, depth...

and...were you to do this subject again...note, detect even the slightest possible variation from the leaves nearer to the viewer's eye to those farther away. You can sharpen edges and somewhat darker accents, bolder highlights on the nearer leaves, slightly less as sharp edges on distant, etc., creating depth...
  #494   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
Larry -- you have cut to the chase. I retired from a very left-brained job and decided that, more than anything else, I wanted to paint well enough to have a show before I died. Even a show in a coffee shop would be fine. Time has passed. I can read about art and technique. I can talk about it. I can buy materials for it. But when I pick up a pencil or brush, I freeze -- any effort isn't good enough and reinforces my belief that the rest of the world is talented and I am not. So committing to 120 paintings in 120 days makes total sense, though the idea is scary, and the thought of actually letting others see them almost paralyzing. But I'm bound to improve since, even with my spotty efforts, I have learned that I am better at something when I go to bed than when I got up that morning. Some will be pencil sketches since I'm still trying to learn to draw, some watercolor, and some panpastel, which I've been wanting to try.

That said, I will post #1 by EOD today.

success doesn't have to be measure in large advances either...for example what I just shared with Marion...were she to try this again.. a simple aim would be to try and create a greater sense of distance from nearer leaves to those back there...and cause shadows to feel darker, clearer edge near the subject.

Folks can post a picture in a forum they are comfortable with...but ask for honest opinions...one small thing you might do differently? Then, weigh that and let it mull over in your head...and make the small thing something to work on in the exercise...

this, then is being kind to yourself..small steps...Bill Muray, "Baby steps.." they do in time add up...!!!
  #495   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
East Coast

Hails from United States
Declan

[quote=Declan]Larry -- you have cut to the chase. I retired from a very left-brained job and decided that, more than anything else, I wanted to paint well enough to have a show before I died. Even a show in a coffee shop would be fine. Time has passed. I can read about art and technique. I can talk about it. I can buy materials for it. But when I pick up a pencil or brush, I freeze -- any effort isn't good enough and reinforces my belief that the rest of the world is talented and I am not. So committing to 120 paintings in 120 days makes total sense, though the idea is scary, and the thought of actually letting others see them almost paralyzing. But I'm bound to improve since, even with my spotty efforts, I have learned that I am better at something when I go to bed than when I got up that morning. Some will be pencil sketches since I'm still trying to learn to draw, some watercolor, and some panpastel, which I've been wanting to try.
Declan, know that you're not alone. In fact, that's pretty much what I told Larry in a previous message. I've learned art theory, design, composition, color theory etc. , ad nauseum. But "getting started" by putting brush to canvas is daunting - and yes, I freeze too! Although I've considered myself both right and left-brained (doctorate in the health sciences while also pursuing a degree in art history and minor in art), I have always wanted to take my art to the next level. I've always seen extra colors and patterns in the world around me, and want to take these " paintings in my mind" so many steps forward. However, my left brain has been so limiting. So, I've decided to take Larry's challenge to heart, and view each daily artful step as a personal challenge with a goal of learning. We are here to encourage each other, so I challenge you to do the same!!!
One other obstacle in my way is that I haven't the foggiest idea how to set up a successful blog and get the word out...Does anyone out there have and advice as to how to go about this? Good luck, Declan...see you in cyberspace! Paint on!!!!!