WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia
Question Can somebody pls explain why DVDs cost more than books?

I've been wondering for ages why the instructional DVDs such as those featuring Richard McKinley and Maggie Price, cost almost double what their books sell for. This just doesn't make sense when one considers the higher production costs and materials associated with print media.

Enlightenment please?

Dale
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
A Local Legend

Re: Can somebody pls explain why DVDs cost more than books?

it's called 'Marketing'.......get what the bearer will pay........

DVD's are the new, modern technology, therefore bring a premium price, Books are old technology and therefore are discounted to get them off the shelf......

hope this clears it up for you......
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Cynic

Dale
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM
A Local Legend

no, not 'Cynic'......I'm a 'Realist' and that's how it is in the big, real world......
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

My first thought was....................."because they can",

..........which is pretty much what 'blue said . I would think it takes less time to film a DVD than it does to write a book, so time is not the issue. I also wouldn't think it costs all that much to actually make the recording (digital age and all that, no film). The actual cost of the DVD has to be less than the cost of a book, so no extra dollars there. Marketing costs should be about the same. Shelf space is less for a DVD, so that costs less, not more. Shipping cost to the stores should be less, the DVD's are much lighter than books.......... this is starting to make me mad actually .......,

Ergo, my first thought "because they can" still stands...... which is why I own very few DVDs, just two in fact. Albert Handel's and Richard McKinley's are the two I own. After watching them both (excellent DVD's I might add), I find that I still generally go to books before watching DVD's over and over. Sort of like watching a movie over and over, I get bored. Books, on the other hand, I never get bored of for some reason. I guess because I'm an avid reader. And, I cannot justify the cost of the DVD's. In my mind if I can get as much out of a book, then why spend the money? I know not all teaching artists have both books and DVD's (McKinley just recently published a book, his first, yet he had one DVD (maybe two?) out prior, which was why I have the DVD, there was no book available). Albert Handell is the "holy grail painter" of capturing light in pastel landscapes IMHO, so I have his book, and one of his DVD's. I guess I need to buy McKinley's book so my collection is 'fair and balanced' , I just might.

A long explaination to a simple answer "because they can........"

Last edited by allydoodle : 09-22-2011 at 07:42 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Yes, people are willing to pay more. If no one buys them at the prices that they try to sell them for, you can be sure the price will come down.

Since art how-to DVDs are somewhat of a specialty item, the prices have stayed high, compared to "popular culture" DVDs (like old TV shows) which have come down drastically in price since they first came on the market.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any at the prices they try to sell them at and have rented quite a few. Not sure if you have any rental places in Australia, but for US folks, Smartflix is a pretty good deal.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

Don I've never heard of Smartfix, but I took a look and it seems like a great deal. We are in the process of trying to sell our house at the moment and move, but when we are settled again I'm going to revisit this idea. Thanks for the info.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

What prompted this query was:

A. The exhorbitant cost of these art DVDs and I have to add $10 International postage for each and every one of them as they do not do combined shipping at you-know-where.

B. Looking at them I was wishing I could get the same content in a book. Like Chris, I reach for my books to read over and over again, but once through a DVD is more than I can stand.

C. I keep wanting to fast forward these DVDs no matter how good the content. I call this the "Waiting for paint to dry syndrome" - except I'm waiting for each scratch of the darn pastel stick or stroke of the brush.

D. I am congenitally unable to learn anything by watching a DVD tutorial on any subject you can name. Hopeless! Give me the printed word or a live workshop and I soak it up like a sponge. I even get the fidgets watching the trailer promos for the DVDs.

Dale
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I've noticed this too and if it weren't for the price, I'd be a frequent buyer as I learn best by watching visuals so much better than by reading.

The Smartflix idea is a really good one (thanks!).

Perhaps one day the price will come down so more people can afford them.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
A Local Legend

Dale......when your paintings start to sell, you will get a good feeling for the 'Marketing Concept'......you get as much as the public is willing to pay.....not how many hours you put into a painting or how many pastel sticks you used up........if they want 'Sunflowers', than you whip out a series of Van Gogh beauties and charge nice prices for them.....

and 'Marketing' is Universal.....here, down under, across the pond and in the far east......"it's all what they are willing to pay"!........
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I've always wondered the same thing, so I buy most of my DVD's off ebay when they are selling for a reasonable price. There's just no way I'll ever pay $75-$95 for a DVD even if it is four hours long. I can't say I learn more or less from them, it depends on the instructor but usually I learn something from them I can't learn from reading a book. However, some instructors really should not do DVD's, my most recent purchase comes to mind.....

David
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I'm the Librarian for the Pastel Society of NC and I buy DVD's for the membership to rent out - I have bought all of the DVDs on Ebay.

I'm just the opposite on reading or watching - I'd rather watch than read (although I am an avid reader of other books). I have a tremendous library of pastel books that I hardly ever crack open any more.

I've watched Albert Handell's DVD many times and always garner something I haven't seen before. Bob Rohm's water DVDs are excellent - those are the four DVD's I own for myself. I bought Handell's oil DVD also and there is always something to learn even if it is an oil painting.

I agree with Dave, though, the last DVD I bought was a big snooze.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I'd like to hear from The Expert (we have one here, and I hope he'll chime in -- are you there, Phil?) I bet there are costs we don't think about, like camera crew (probably at least 2 ppl, and ppl are expensive), the cost of the fine hi-res superduper camera and editing equipment and the likes. I can't imagine a session is a one take, there's bound to be a lot of cutting needed.

I mean, it is not just point the laptop vid-cam towards the easel. We've all seen those on youtube, and they usually su... -- are lacking.

Writing a book is quite often unpaid labour, over many months, but it can be done on the laptop, and as the author doesn't get paid for time, but for the product....

There does seem to be an unbalance, though, as it seems to me a book is more labour intensive.

I tend to fall asleep watching paint dry. I really don't need to see every stroke blocking in one mass, not to speak of every stroke for blocking in seven masses -- start and finish of block-in would do quite well, thank you. I also tend to fall asleep when there is no voice, just that scritchy-scratchy noice of pastel applied to board. There's a thing like voice over (I think it is called), where the artist can explain what they do after the main shot.

Gimme a book, anytime! On paper. I underline, make notes in the margin.

And, as books are marketed as books (containing info), the dvd's are often marketed as "bring a workshop to your home", and compared to workshop prices, the dvds are cheap, right? So we're meant to compare those prices, not compare with books. We are to believe a dvd contains more and better stuff.

There are a few really good demonstrations and lecturing dvds out there.

And some demonstrations that probably should have remained ideas.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
too many cynics
too little thought .

because

as i'm composing this text
to make it quick scan ,
a visual moving in real time
can have much more info
and sync with thought
( and why there's a Rewind/Slow button on the player)
= more info .

someone who can script ,
film ,
edit ,
and produce the video
will make good money
but each of those
is a separate skill
and deserves compensation
= higher cost .

it's a movie .

Ed :}

ps . just caught Charlie's post .
an artist who has
recognition
respect
demand
gets his/her price
And teaches
can only be in so many places at once
and honor their commitments/commissions .

otherwise , your word is poo .

Last edited by sketchZ1ol : 09-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh come on Ed. You really don't expect me, to swallow the fact that making a video is more costly than printing a book. For heavens sake, when making a DVD tutorial they pay some struggling artist peanuts to do the thing and they sweat blood over what they will say and do. No scripting involved on the part of the producer. Some of these artists are conned into doing it to promote their "name" and don't get paid a bean. You can hire a suitable camera by the day if you don't happen to own one and their cost is peanuts compared to a printing press or a commercial movie film camera. Then you have a day's pay for a camera man and in the rare event that they are feeling very flash, a soundman too. The director/producer thinks about the project off and on for a couple of days - say 8 hours labour tops. Somebody spends a few hours editing the thing and then it's just a matter of buying a bulk lot of DVDs and burning to them with a few hundred dollars worth of commercial burning software and equipment. Run off a few labels on a laser printer and then try and flog them off at vastly over inflated prices. Distribution costs are minimal too.

Now look at the print trade: Think of the massive capital investment in the presses. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in this alone and depending on the size of the operation, it can run into millions of dollars. Then there's the cost of good coated stock paper, the cost of the colour separations and producing the film for the presses. Then there's the labour of the typesetter, (yep! They are still called that even though they never see any lead type these days), art deptment personel for the layout and design, proof readers, editor, photographer/s, binding costs including labour, cost of the cover stock, distribution, promotion etc.etc. Not to mention royalties to the writer (even though they be pathetic and never are commensurate with the effort involved, unless it be a runaway successful novel), and the fact that the bookseller buys the book at a lot less cost than we pay for it.

No way is a DVD tutorial on the same scale and quality as a movie. Ridiculous to suggest that they are comparable. I know this Ed because I've been involved in the print media for decades and also had a brief dabble in television media.

No, the cynics are right, we are just gullible fools for buying DVDs at over inflated prices. Phil is not going to like this post either!

Dale