WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Can't wait to get back to pastels!

Does anyone here do any work with colored pencils? I admire you if you do. I am taking a creative drawing with colored pencils course at the Art Center and I worked for two solid unbroken hours today and half way completed one Christmas bell! I thought some additional drawing instruction would help me out. Good grief, I cannot wait to get back to my pastels with their silky, soft colors and dust!!

"beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England
Re: Can't wait to get back to pastels!

CP's require patience and a lot of layers but they are useful if you just want to do some art in front of the TV as they don't make a mess but pastels they are not! You have to try out the colours as there is an order of application. You could look on the CP thread as there is lots of information there for beginners and they are friendly people.

C & c's always welcome
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I started out with color pencils, and was glad to give them up. When I found pastels I never looked back! I got nice results with color pencils, but the process is so labor intensive that for me it took the fun out of painting/drawing. I don't miss them at all really. Though I do admire people that can sit and do it, they're not for me. I would use pastel pencils over color pencils any time, the results are much nicer and the process is waaaaaaay better, and more fun! (IMHO).

Do you want me to tell you how I really feel?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I think I will just let my art teacher instruct me versus spending too much time learning all about them. I really do not think I will do much with them after the 10 week course is over. I enjoy learning something different and know you never go wrong by trying and learning new techniques. I just had no clue they were so intensive.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I did a couple of pieces with them in between graphite and discovering pastels.
I didnt find them to be labour intensive compared to graphite but yes they are compared to pastel.
OTOH I seem to be odd in that I can spend the same time on a pastel as a graphite or CP work although thats largely trying to get the exact tone Im after and working my way through things.

I must admit that whilst I have seen some very nice work in CP ( check out the CP board on here if you havent already) Ive barely touched them since falling in love with pastels.

Although I did enjoy doing a graphite piece recently just because it was clean

BTW I guess you are just following instruction so using what you are given but paper wise I really liked the Stonehenge and found it much easier to work with than others, I didnt like Canson atall.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Sherry: Just for fun, have you tried watercolor pencils? You may like them - much less labor intense than color pencil with really cool effects by using a slightly wet #8 round. J
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend

if you want to sit and watch 'soap operas', instead of colored pencils, try 'oil pastels'......no dust and they cover large ares, like the dusties....just an idea to consider.....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
if you want to sit and watch 'soap operas', instead of colored pencils, try 'oil pastels'

Hmmn Blue, how come you know so much about what you can and cannot do while watching soapies? I wouldn't have a clue as I am not a soapie addict.

Dale
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I do have to agree that the type of paper you use with color pencils is essential to having success. I think I used a Strathmore vellum paper which had a nice tooth to it, but smooth as well. Not 'glass smooth', just a nice smooth paper with a really nice consistant texture. It was also very thick, and a nice white. I think it was pretty expensive as drawing papers go, but I got nice results with it. It just took too long to get the artwork to where I wanted it, and I found myself getting even tighter than I already was. It is not a medium inclined towards a looser style. You also have to remember to spray workable fixative on it when you're completely done with it. The color pencil tends to get a 'wax bloom', which is a white-ish film. This happens over time and affects the way the finished art looks. It almost dulls the colors. The workable spray fixative stops the wax bloom from happening. I also use workable spray fixative on my graphite drawings (when I do them, haven't in a while), it keeps them from smudging and seems to keep the graphite pencil work looking its best. I worked almost exclusively in graphite pencil for quite a while. I do still like that medium, though I haven't done it in a looooong time!

I've always had an afinity to pencils, I have way too many sets of different types, I think just because I like to collect them . Sets like tinted charcoal, charcoal, graphite (with different hardnesses), pastels, color pencils, watercolor pencils, water soluble graphite, have missed any ?

Enjoy your class Sherry. It's always nice to learn new techniques and materials, there is always something you can take from it. And, it's just fun to do something new.

Last edited by allydoodle : 09-21-2011 at 08:36 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
A Local Legend

Dale......if you're not accusing me of standing around naked, it's watching soaps....... .....quite a vivid imagination......must be the climate....

actually if someone wanted to watch a football(soccer down there or rugby) game on TV they could work on their lap with oil pastels without making a mess.......colored or WC pencils are nice, but slow and labor intensive......

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

It's called "footie" here Blue. Aussie rules football and the players don't have all that padding and crash helmets. Not a game for wimps.

What about all those greasy little balls of oil pastel that migrate from paper to your lap, the furniture, the dog................? Nah! CP or plain old disposable pen would be the least messy for watching soapies or the footy and still endeavour to be a little productive just so one does not feel guilty while one sat on one's backside.

Dale
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
A Local Legend

'knickers'?........haven't heard that term in many years......they still wear 'knickers' down there?

that 'footie' sounds like my kind of game......manly!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

The art instructor mentioned that she used Stonehenge paper, but all I could find was Bristol. I really hate to invest any more money in pencils. I am sure there are pastels out there that I MUST have.

I do like the idea of using them for sketches -- I need to do more of that.

I have not tried the water color pencils but may try them.

Thank, you are all so helpful on every matter.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
A Local Legend

Sherry.....give the WC pencils a try but I find them like CP's also ....lot of coloring labor intensive work....you can take a brush, dip into WC and in a second have done what the pencils will talk lots of minutes.....but maybe you will like them....worth a try.....
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Blue I tend to be impatient so maybe WC pencils would work better. Thanks