WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Northern Nevada

Hails from United States
Red Mill - Clinton NJ

10in x 8in, acrylic on canvas

Red Mill - Clinton, NJ

I really hate this. Let me explain why. I realize that anytime I move toward a subject that is less organic, I change my mindset. I know I shouldn't, but it happens I suppose. Architectural landscapes have a subject focus that is needfully angular and structural. So I slow down and work with fine brushes. Normally I am fast and loose (with paintings too ... lol), big brushes, big swathes of color. Not here. I have to learn to stay within my style (not necessarliy my comfort zone) when I paint subjects like this. Studying and practice to come.

Blog / Portfolio / Facebook / Twitter
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Red Mill - Clinton NJ

Hi Rick, this is really pretty good for being out of your comfort zone.
Just takes some practice and practice at doing things your not familiar with,
I once thought that too.. keep at it.. tried something different, thought If I dont try it I wont know if I can do it or not.. just studied my reference photos and kept at it.. tried to do similar details in shading and color as best as possible.
Keep at it and practice, each painting will be better and better!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Rick. I would ask seriously, if you hate painting buildings, why do you????
I personally, think this is not bad at all. I think I understand your style when I look at the foliage behind the building. I would urge you to enjoy painting rather than forcing yourself to do things you really dislike. Stick to your own style, use big brushes to paint buildings. Just think of them as large and small shapes of colours and tones and ENJOY the process.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Northern Nevada

Hails from United States

Chammi -

It about halfway through this that I realized what the problem was. Its not that I hate painting buildings, its the fact that I can't stand the way I change my attack subconsciously according to subject matter. Now that I finally made that realization, I can go about things differently perhaps.
Blog / Portfolio / Facebook / Twitter
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM

I think what IS working is the building and the water, but the abstract nature of the background doesn't match.

I feel as if the forest is trying to eat your building and your building refuses to be eaten, so the two elements are clashing.

The point of the roof sends my eye into the trees (left side) but finds nothing to return to the painting.

I like the feel of the building and water alot! Maybe if someway the sky could reflect the building, as the water does? Somewhat surreal I know.