WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States
Corfix Paint

Hi,

New to the forums, so please forgive any transgressions if I make any. I've done a search and have received mixed answers.

I'm moving to Brasil soon and when I was last there I took stock of some of the paints available in two stores (Pinceis Tigre and Daiara). It seems that Corfix and Acrilex are pretty common oils and acrylics; anyone have any opinions about their quality?

I didn't do a full-on research project to find good paints while I was down there, so I can't say what else is available. If anyone knows which high-quality brands are available there then it would be great to know where I can get them. I'll be in Curitiba.

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM
oCDs01-711

Re: Corfix Paint

So sorry, I haven't heard of either before. Can't be of help.

Shirley
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Hails from Brazil

In my opinion Acrilex is better.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBurns2000
Hi,

New to the forums, so please forgive any transgressions if I make any. I've done a search and have received mixed answers.

I'm moving to Brasil soon and when I was last there I took stock of some of the paints available in two stores (Pinceis Tigre and Daiara). It seems that Corfix and Acrilex are pretty common oils and acrylics; anyone have any opinions about their quality?

I didn't do a full-on research project to find good paints while I was down there, so I can't say what else is available. If anyone knows which high-quality brands are available there then it would be great to know where I can get them. I'll be in Curitiba.

Thanks!

Well, I live here, so I can help you with this.

Basically, I have tried all 3 brands of paint, and while Gato Preto has usually the best consistency and chroma, color mixes can be extremely muddy. Acrilex has a similar quality, but they have more color options (zinc and lead white, for instance).

The problem with these paints is, however, that they don't indicate what goes into them. Gato Preto has some information about which pigments they use, but they don't state where they use what. I assume, however, that the cheapest colors are usually the best, sometimes rivaling international studio colors (red iron oxide and phtalocyanine blue come to my mind). Gato Preto's raw umber ("sombra natural"), is terrible when it comes to mixing: it always leads to very muddy, lifeless mixes. This is most notable on acrylics. By the way, Acrilex doesn't disclose lightfastness or what goes into what tube. You need to keep guessing. Plus, these two brands seem to lack good reds and a true, pure magenta.

If you want to use our national paint, the best bet you have is Corfix. The consistent isn't always the best, that's for sure; however, they do state clearly what pigments they use (except in acrylics, where you have to get an obscure color chart to know), and lightfastness information. Also, in oil they have some pigments that no other national brand has, like Dioxazine violet (PV23), Naphtol Red (PR112), or Magenta (PR 122).

What puzzles me, however, is the info about lightfastness: Pebeo XL, which is an amateur level paint with higher pigmentation overall, has a PV23 with only good lightfastness, and Corfix rates it as "excellent". The same goes for Dioxazine Violet. Another odd thing is that corfix has two variations of PV23: one in "group 1", and another in "group 2". I'm trying to call them to ask about this.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, cadmium pigments (particularly the yellows derived from PY35) are much cheaper here than they are there (interestingly enough)... I suppose that is because there aren't many health concerns aere as there are there. That doesn't mean, though you'll find something as Old Holland's cadmium yellow here, as the pigment they manufacture is extremely purified and refined compared to ours; it's just that the price is only so much more affordable.