WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Da Vinci "Natural Pigment" line of oil paints

I thought I'd show some of the Da Vinci "Natural Pigment" line of oil paints, since I've got several of them, and they came up in Mariposa's "Snob Paints" thread. As I mentioned there, I think Da Vinci paints are underrated paints in general. They are all nicely long and brush out well, and are willing to separate in the tube after a while (in my opinion, this indicates an appropriately small amount of stabilizer in the paint). Da Vinci are my favorite non-premium oil paints, though I admit a few of their pigment choices and color names are questionable to me. But I think their line of Natural Pigment paints is really noteworthy. Here is a pic of the ones I've got on the palette:

Each is shown from the tube, then mixed with an approximately equal amount of Winsor & Newton zinc white.

In the group of four on the top right are (from right to left): Natural Gold Ochre; Brown Ochre Geothite; Arizona Red; and Hematite Violet.

These are the four that are most impressive right out of the gate. The Natural Gold Ochre is one of the two most intense yellow ochres I've used (the other being Rublev's Lemon Ochre). I'm fairly certain it is a Blue Ridge blend of yellow ochres. The Brown Ochre Geothite should really be called Orange Ochre in my opinion, it's great for warm darks in skin tones, or for glowing highlights in hair - it's like a warmer version of raw sienna. The Arizona Red is my best dark scarlet earth, and I love that the pigment is regional here. And the Hematite Violet - well, just look at it. It's a glorious, intense dark red that steers hard toward magenta in tints. Love it - love it!

Next group of two, again right to left: Arizona Brown Ochre; and Red Iron Stone.

These are two that I was relatively unimpressed with at first, but which have proven themselves extremely useful. The Arizona Brown Ochre has been very good for underpaintings, as well as being a helpful starting point for mixing various nondescript midtones that can be tricky to get to precisely. It dries very quickly (must be an umber of some sort, though it's opaque), which keeps it off my palette much of the time unless I have a specific use for it; and it has low tinting strength. The Red Iron Stone turns out to be a nearly perfect starting point for flesh halftones, and in contrast to the previous paint has a pretty high tinting strength (the tint here actually contains somewhat more white than red).

The last group of three: Olive Oxide; Lapis Lazuli Genuine; and Magnetite Genuine.

These last three are paints that I find pretty and interesting, but which I just haven't had much use for yet. I plan to try the Olive Oxide for underpaintings. The Lapis makes a great glazing blue, being less intense than ordinary ultramarine; I just haven't happened to need a glazing blue in any of my recent paintings. The color of the tint in this pic has been somewhat blasted out by the light source; nevertheless it is not strong in tints. The Magnetite is somewhat like a Mars black (in fact it is a natural iron oxide), but with a very low tinting strength, practically disappearing in some mixes. I'm sure this will make it useful for things like neutralizing skin tones, once I get more used to using it.

At a price range of $11 to $20 for earth colors, these might be considered slightly "snobby" paints. To me they're worth having, and I recommend trying some of them - I have found it interesting and fun (and easier!) to paint flesh with many different earth colors, rather than just a couple of cadmiums. The most expensive among those I have are the Lapis (unsurprisingly), the Gold Ochre, and the Red Iron Stone. There are a few of the line I still need to try.

The "must-have" of the bunch: Hematite Violet. Definitely.

Crossposted to Oil Painting (and my blog).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Da Vinci "Natural Pigment" line of oil paints

You show us a delicious pigments parade! I see beautiful, great, unique hues and creamy consistency almost unbelievable fantastic paints.
Rich collection!
Alex

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Little Rock

Hails from United States

Wow, those do look awesome! I can definitely see uses for almost all of those on my palette. Thanks for posting!

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Alex and John, thanks for responding here. Yes, they are nice and creamy, with a nice range of hues, and quite useful!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Thanks for taking the time to do this llawrence, appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by llawrence
...I think Da Vinci paints are underrated paints in general.
Agreed. They're not mentioned as much as they probably should, given their quality and pricing.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

I've shied away from Da Vinci oils in the past because their watercolors are horrible, but I am genuinely interested in these. Thanks for posting!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Einion and Red 9, thanks for responding!

Red 9, it's been a while since I used any Da Vinci watercolors, but I don't recall being amazed by them. They have a natural lapis in their watercolor line as well, but it's not nearly as impressive there - rather gray. On the other hand, I think their gouache is not bad at all, and an outstanding deal.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Actually, I shouldn't say they are horrible, it's just the way the paint oozes out of the tube when I open them that really annoys me. I am not even sure why it happens because I haven't experienced this with any of my other watercolor tubes. But, the actual colors themselves are nice and they are very well priced, so it was unfair of me to call them horrible.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Thanks for that clarification Red 9. I couldn't imagine them being truly bad given what I'd read about them previously, including on Handprint where the review is pretty positive overall.

The line was completely revised in 2008, were you using them before that by any chance?

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

No they are from earlier this year. I'm willing to buy more of them and probably will because I like the colors I have. I just hope they don't ooze so much anymore.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Da Vinci "Indian yellow" which is synthetic iron oxide looks pretty nice too. Anybody have it?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I'm pretty sure that the Da Vinci Indian yellow is mislabeled and is actually PY83 diarylide yellow. I have the Da Vinci Alkyd Oil Indian Yellow and it is PY83. I have to say that it is very nice mixer, transparent and a strong tinter.

Brian Firth
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Thanks Brian, I have an "Indian yellow" too, but another brand. It is based on two PY83 and PY42 pigments with high tinting power.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States

I found da Vinci oils to be of excellent quality at a reasonable price (along with LeFranc & Bourgeois) and have been replacing my tubes as they expire with either of the brands. Thanks for the photos.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 9
No they are from earlier this year. I'm willing to buy more of them and probably will because I like the colors I have. I just hope they don't ooze so much anymore.

Looks like DaVinci fixed the tube issues{read post #27 in below link}. Yay!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=943342&page=2