WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM

Using scrapbooking paper in collage work for commercial reproduction

I am a mixed media artist who has started licensing some of my work. I use quite a bit of scrapbook paper in my originals, torn into pieces and added together with other bits and pieces of ephemera to create new sheets of paper that I then cut my designs from.

I understand this is fine for my originals, but where do I stand with commercial reproduction?

Does anyone know? I've heard several different theories on this and at this point it would be near impossible to track down all the makers of every piece of paper in some of my work, it could be in the 100s. Some pieces may be recognizable, but others certainly not.

Thanks so much
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:27 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland
Re: Using scrapbooking paper in collage work for commercial reproduction

In my view it would be a reproduction of your work, as a complete entity and not reproducing the materials used. Therfore it is fine to create the reproductions.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM

That's what I thought Greg. But I need a definitive answer on this or I can't proceed. Because there are so many pieces of assorted papers in my work, I can't possibly get releases on each and every piece.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Here is an example using "larger portions" of the papers, these are identifiable.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

I have a similar issue so found this thread.
My understanding is that if they are used to create a new piece of artwork, it is fine, but I am looking into this too. I won't hijack your thread however.
Jocelyn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United States

A lot of scrapbooking companies have their angel policies listed on their website. While reproducing your originals is one thing, licensing your designs is a totally another ball of wax.

It probably will depend on how much the paper design is altered. Is it recognizable? Would the scrapbooking designer recognize their work if they walked into the showroom?

Using vintage papers and old books is probably fine as they are so old.

I asked this question to a gift company on Facebook. The company licenses artwork from a designer who uses scrapbooking papers. The company was posting photos of new gift items. I asked, "Has a designer ever recognized their artwork on your items?" Well, the designer who made the papers featured in the photos, saw it, and said "Yes, she recognized her work in the photos".

I think it would always be best to ask for permission first. The gift company will not be happy to deal with a lawsuit after they spend a lot of money and time developing a product line. Or use vintage papers or old books.

If you know photoshop it is rather easy to also design your own papers for licensing.