WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Szczecin

Hails from Poland
Marie's (or Maries) soft pastels, had anyone tryed those out?

I've bought them for small money some time ago, but I can't say I'm pleased with what I got. Either it's just my lack of technique or... the brand sucks. I find them very hard and the colors aren't anywhere near strong. If you had any experiences with those soft pastels please reply.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Marie's (or Maries) soft pastels, had anyone tryed those out?

They are hard. and you got what you paid for. I use these for teaching young children they work for that. Also they are cheep enought to use for side walk art. Other wise you really need to get something better.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

and i dont know but i almsot sure much better. i mean where there is availalble marie aquarelle and oil paints is shop which sells cheap things but price is not no so cheap. i mean stuff is pricey when we know quality expect few food stuff (which is common stuff here where i live) but...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Szczecin

Hails from Poland

I must say... They aren't cheap in Poland and there's not a big choice of brands where I live (and the internet shops sell all kinds of cool stuff, but it's expensive and none or almost none of 'em ship things to my country). Ah well, guess I'm gonna buy that Koh-I-Noor set of 48 soft pastels I saw today. Thanks for reply guys You've helped me to make up my mind
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Karoline, I forgot to welcome you here in pastels. Welcome!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Karoline, I've heard the Koh-I-Noor are good. Other Koh-I-Noor products I've used are wonderful. It'll feel like night and day when you use good quality pastels.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Karoline, I've heard the Koh-I-Noor are good. Other Koh-I-Noor products I've used are wonderful. It'll feel like night and day when you use good quality pastels.

A friend of mine has the Koh-I-Noor pastels, and she likes them. I have a set of the Koh-I-Noor pastel pencils, and I like them as well. I think you would be much happer with these, the Marie's are really not fun to use.

dimaurodustyeasel.blogspot.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Karoline: You are in Poland, yes? If so, Schmincke of Germany makes very good soft pastels. You may be able to find some at an art supply store, a flea market, or Ebay Germany. There are also French Sennelier, Swiss Caran d'Ache, and German Stabillo or Staedtler. Marie's have a lot of binder and not much color - more like chalk than soft pastel. And to save some expense, just purchase about 12 sticks from the outside ring of the "color wheel" along with a white and a black stick so you can blend as you paint. Good luck. J.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

i also use very limited palette when i compared others here (i have about 90 pastels) i mainly work blending and based this fact i think good quality pastels i dont need maybe more than 60 pastels i currently have more but some colours are stuff what i never again buy (too hard,and one brnad what i currently have is discontinued and i dont fully like it and i have also other brand which i dont like muchj). and i know
some areas stuff can be pricey at least when you dont have much money for them,and in finland is hard get some hues in Sennlier and Schmicnke importer must order them in special order (for example many schmincke flower hues...) they are dont directly in available. and i maybe also test koh-i-noor. and make own lightfastness tests. and i think i can be quite happy with good 30 pastels but with poor 100 pastels i cannot things. i think much imoportant is how good pastels are than how many you have based other art supplies what i use (aquarelle,acryl,oil pastels,coloured pencils etc) and these pastels what i use. i have tested few very old coloured pencils (three hues) by koh-i-noor i think they are form 1970-1979... when i know at least current stuff is cheap i think they are superior when i compare similar feeling Staedler coloured pencils (form 1995-2005 i donr remember exact year) i mean i dont found hard hard spots on them but in stadlers they are very common,and hard spot means thing which have colour but dont give any colour to paper... i know i talk coloured pencils here but some how i think koh-i-noor is guite good its price when i look what they look in pictures... and one stadler pencil is also with this kind "spots". and i think koh-i-noor based what they look are cheapest any way acceptable brand here where i live. and i want know what kind prive Maries have poland ? and also for Koh-i-noor ?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Karoline, welcome! I've tried the Koh-i-noor hard square pastels, and I like them over all other hard square brands. I've not tried their softer pastels, though, but some people I know like them a lot.

Try www.jacksonsart.co.uk, they ship to many countries, and have a good pastel section, including a great sanded paper called Fisher 400.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Szczecin

Hails from Poland

I thank you all for responding
About schminke or sennelier... Yes, I've found 'em in some polish online shop, but the prices are... Well, immagine they're expensive. And when you immagine that immagine also that for polish people they are 4x as expensive as they are to you. So I guess I'll just stick to Koh-I-Noor for now
Few of Marie's - one emerald green and maybe 4-5 others are pretty nice and cover... anything at all :P tested the rest and you're right - they feel like the school chalk (not much color in them). I hope 120 Koh-I-Noor's will be enough for my needs ^^

And thanks for welcoming me here ^^ (some one already did that in another topic, but it's always nice to be welcomed more than once

Funny thing but lately I've found some.... Argh, I think it is called "carmina" or something (I mean something similiar to charcoal that was used comonly by painters to sketch few ages ago) made by K.I.N. that my grandpa brought from Czecho-Slovakia 37 years ago and it still rocks

Last edited by Searleit : 07-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

Yes, I sometimes think we don't recognize how fortunate we are here to have such a wide range of wonderful pastel products, often at great sale prices. Good luck with your journey into art.....maybe charcoal is more readily available for you, also a fun medium to work in.