WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Shelbyville, KY

Hails from United States
Lightbulb WDE July 8, 2011 IMAGES HERE

I will be posting 16 images and a challenge Please wait until all are uploaded before commenting - thank you.

You have 30 minutes to make your choice and choose your materials - you may use any medium.

For the next two hours, just go for it……then STOP!, scan or photograph your work and post it in your own new thread with your title, beginning with WDE, plus date, plus title.

When you introduce your work, please add a description of size, medium, support (paper, canvas etc) and time taken.
If your work is digital, we'd appreciate a description of whether it's freehand drawing/painting, manipulated image or done using the filters available in some programmes - you could also say which programme you've used.
All are acceptable but we'd like to know the "hows, whys and wherefores"!!

Use WIP for any work in progress at the 2 hour mark, and MI for multiple images if other works are to be added before the following Monday.

NB. To avoid forum flooding, please put all of your work during the weekend, for the current WDE, into a single thread: multiple threads will be merged!
From the following TUESDAY, you may open a new thread for later work.

You have the whole week to participate - until the next WDE starts (usually Friday). If you finish a piece after that time, we now run a 'Catch-up' thread in the forum each month where you can post any WDE not completed in its allotted week .... it's a sticky near the top of the forum page.

After posting your contribution, please view others’ entries and comment and encourage when you can. Unless requested, please refrain from critiquing.

OK official stuff over here are the photos – As usual a bit animal heavy. Its been a hard 6 months. I lost my last bull terrier about a month ago. There is a bullie puppy on the ground with my name on it, and my next time hosting there should be a puppy picture. These photos are from CA KY, and Ohio.

Larger images here

1. This Woolly Monkey is in the Louisville Zoo. She walked by her toy and picked it up with her tail.

2. This Cheetah is at the San Diego Zoo

3. I love the face markings on this cow. In horses it’s called a badger face. I don’t know if it has an official name in cattle. In a field in Ohio

4. This is a very classic horse head – American Saddlebred the Shelbyville horse show

5. Pink-necked Fruit Dove at the Louisville Zoo. Hadn’t see this kind of bird before I met this one in the aviary

6. Giselle the Shetland Sheep. This is one of the two lawn mowers in my back yard.

Last edited by just chaos : 07-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Shelbyville, KY

Hails from United States
Re: WDE July 8, 2011 IMAGES HERE

Larger Images

7. Louie and Annie. Louie is my Italian Greyhound and has been a subject before. Annie is a new member of the household. She is a rescue Chinese Crested and a bit psychotic. Sorry I can not get the naked cat in the same picture since the 6 pound cat scares the 15lb dog.

8. This is a Spicebrush Swallowtail in my front yard in Kentucky

9. This is the classic child on pony picture. I actually remember this being taken 45+ years ago.

10. Golden Zucchini and Patty pan squash on sale at the flea market in Finchville, KY

11. The sign in front of the Old Folks Sausage factory in Simpsonville, KY. The sausage is about 6’ long.

12. From my tour of the Spanish missions in CA. These 3 barrels are at San Juan Capastrino

13. This is my tobacco barn. Its about 100’ long. There is also a close-up of the wood in the Flickr group. That for those of you who want the worn wood details.

14. This Thunderbird is from the auto show last weekend.

15. The barn is right next to the airport in Lima, OH. There are many things wrong in this picture and its very busy, but you can’t say its not interesting.

16. This is my challenge photo. The horse is Mr. Mussleman a champion Standardbred trotter in the Hall of Champions at the Kentucky Horse Park. He is a very sweet and curious boy. This photo is not cropped, he was helping me by coming closer.
Take one aspect of this photo and work on it. Hair derail, focus, shades of brown, dark/light, reflection, eyes etc. You don’t have to see the photo as a horse portrait. Look at it in its Original Size (large file)

Larger Images
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Immortalized
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Thank you for hosting. Great photos -- it's going to be hard to choose with all these animals....and the butterfly..... I painted Louie before with the cat [I sold that on Ebay --- I think you had a charging rhino in that group also which I sold on Ebay as well. I remember they were together because I did them both with the same palette---orange and tan.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

Wonderful assortment of animals. I love the drama of the horse and the close up of the horse, and the bird, cheetah, sheep, tail carrying gorilla...etc.
Great pictures in focus and in frame. I have a 6x6" black gessoed canvas just waiting for pastels, oils or pencils...hope to fill it during the next week or so. Thank you muchly...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

I love your challenge, and a great collection of photoss

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

These are all wonderful!!! I'm going to try my hand at several. Thank you for posting such terrific references!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Yahoo! Thank you
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
A Local Legend
2001 transplant to NC USA

Hails from United States

i take it you like animals....................... ..... well, i am such a dork, i was cking out the HUGE, i mean HUGE pic of the last horse, and reading your challenge and trying to figure out how to ask you what "hair derail" is so i could try it, figuring it was some esoteric equine term.... .... Are you saying "hair detail"???? cause, man, that's HARD!!! i'm lovin the 'enclosed' barn... and yr comment about that pic... yes, agreed! had the grans most of last week, so hoping for some Nonny time w/Jean this wkend... thanx for some kewl inspiration!.... ..... peeked at him again.. Jean, those colors in his coat are specTACular..............he's a beauty!
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin

Last edited by kordelia : 07-08-2011 at 12:09 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Wow!!So irresistible pictures!!Even cant decide which one,thank you!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

sooper dooper pics, merci beaucoup...

...blogspot at http://gardenartjournal.blogspot.fr
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Shelbyville, KY

Hails from United States

Thank you all -
Bunny most of my photos on flickr are creative commons and are free to be used as a reference with attribution. There are too many to transfer over to the RIL. Feel free to use them. I remember the other two
Nonny Kor - In horses its hair not fur, but you are right it sounds weird :-). Yeah the original photo is large, but them so is Mussleman. He stands 5'6" at the withers, I'm 5'. I get the privilege of showing (and grooming) him every week.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Carlisle, Ohio

Hails from United States

Love the challenge photo!

I also just noticed you location... Shelbyville. Aren't you supposed to be at a race this weekend? I thought it was required for everyone in a 200 mile radius.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM
A Local Legend
Burlington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Wonderful refs Jean - been a hectic week - hope I will be able to join in this weekend - grabbed a few of these fantastic refs -will try.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 AM

Hails from United States

Thank you! So many choices! It'll be a hard decision this week!

--Kathy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Ohio Valley, Woodsfield

Hails from United States

Looks like I have stuff to paint for weeks to come. Love the little animals!